Android: Netrunner» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Don't Get Caught Slippin, Like I Did! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first league match in our new season against Dwayne. In game 1 I played my new Ken Criminal deck which had several new cards from Honor and Profit in it against his HB deck. I had just opened Honor and Profit and Double Time about 2 hours before I went to the match. How come no one told me there were so many good Criminal cards in there. I was like a kid at Christmas time. Of course I had a very hard time trying to decide what to take out of my very successful Andy deck.

I was still switching out cards when my opponent arrived and I was excited to try out all the new Criminal cards I had added. I won the flip and took Runner first. On his first turn he installed a Remote server with one ice and one card behind it and he played a Hedge Fund. I had a great start as I played Early Bird and ran on a naked R&D, stealing an agenda and gaining a credit thanks to Ken. I then played Sure Gamble, then Dirty Laundry and ran on his unprotected hand, grabbing and trashing a Jackson Howard. At this point I should have just ran again on his Hand or his R&D since I only had 2 cards in my hand, but NO I have this really cool new card called Planned Assault in my hand and I want to try it, so I play it and since it is a Double and I have 2 clicks left I decide that I want to take that card in his remote which I hope is an agenda. I pull an Inside Job out of my stack and play it on the remote, stealing another agenda although it was only a 1 pointer so now I have 3 agenda points. Stealing 2 agendas on my first turn is nothing to complain about and since he is playing HB it should not matter that I only have 1 card in hand with no protectionshake

The card I had left in my hand was another new card to me, it was a Mass Install and I could not wait to play it later when I had several programs in my hand. Man this new deck is going to be fun.Time for Dwayne's second turn. He did his start of turn draw, then counted his credits without looking up and asked me "how many cards do you have left in your hand"? I replied "one". Oh oh, this can't be good. He counts out his 4 credits and quickly lays down TWO Neural EMPs. What?? I thought this was an HB deck, not a Jinteki deck. With only 1 card in hand, I was flatlined, down and OUT! That was the fastest I have ever lost a Netrunner game. We had barely been playing for 5 minutes if that. Lesson to be learned here, don't get caught slippin like I did and think that you are safe with only 1 card in hand and no protection just because you are running against an HB deck. Who in the world splashes TWO Neural EMPS in a HB deck?? Good job Dwayne, well played.

Oh well on to game 2.

In game 2 I played my FA HB against his Shaper deck with Katie Mac. In my first turn I only had 1 ice and put it in front of my hand as I had 2 agendas in hand after a mulligan. I played back to back Hedge Funds so the money train was rolling. He started his 1st turn by playing a Sure Gamble then ran on R&D and stole a NAPD agenda which he spent the 4 credits on. He then installed Sneakdoor and stole another agenda from my hand. Just like that I was down 4-0. This could be my fastest 2 losses ever. In the next few turns I scored back to back Accelerated Beta Tests and drew 2 expensive ice each time with the ABT bonus. This allowed me to install and rez a Roto Turret and Heimdall on one turn and a Victor and 2nd Roto Turret a couple turns later with which I was able to close off Archives, R&D and build a nice remote. A few turns later thanks to a few Trick of Light/ Ice Wall combos I was able to score 2 more agendas for the win.

At least we split the match and he got the extra point because I only had 3 agenda points when he flatlined me and he had 4 in the second game. Until today, I had been taking a break from Netrunner for awhile but man, just playing those two games made me remember what a GREAT game this is and it just seems to keep getting better and better. Now I can't wait for next weeks league match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Villao
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did something similar in a recent tournament where I was so excited about running with ken, that I played like 4 events in a row, the last one being a run event, to run into a snare. I learned my lesson about running against Jinteki with 1 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was playing my Jinteki: PE deck and mulliganed my opening hand (2 agendas, only an Archer for ICE).

My new hand wasn't much better. I had a Chimera and Philotic Entanglement in hand, but no other ICE. Philotic as a first score is going to suck if he has no agendas scored, but otherwise he's liable to steal it out of my hand. So I install Philotic and Chimera as a new remote and take a credit, cursing my luck.

Runner's turn:

Click 1: Indexing my unprotected R&D (4 cards in hand), rearrange cards.
Click 2: R&D Interface (3 cards in hand)
Click 3: Run R&D, taking 2 agendas and 2 net damage. (1 card in hand)
Click 4: Draw (2 cards in hand)

Me: ..... *blink blink* ... score Philotic Entanglement for a turn 2 win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
ProphetOfCod wrote:
I was playing my Jinteki: PE deck and mulliganed my opening hand (2 agendas, only an Archer for ICE).

My new hand wasn't much better. I had a Chimera and Philotic Entanglement in hand, but no other ICE. Philotic as a first score is going to suck if he has no agendas scored, but otherwise he's liable to steal it out of my hand. So I install Philotic and Chimera as a new remote and take a credit, cursing my luck.

Runner's turn:

Nice win, that was very quick also. I really like all the different ways that a person can pull out a creative win in Netrunner. Even though you either get to 7 points first or flatline your opponent, thee are just so many ways for those 2 win conditions to happen. It is one of the things that makes Netrunner such a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pluto
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ProphetOfCod wrote:

Runner's turn:

Correct me if I am run, but if the runner had 2 cards in hand and two scored agendas, how could you kill him with a Philotic Entanglement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plutonick wrote:
Correct me if I am run, but if the runner had 2 cards in hand and two scored agendas, how could you kill him with a Philotic Entanglement?

Personal Evolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.