Dungeon Dice» Forums » General

Subject: Compared with Munchkin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
So, Munchkin appears to be panned often on BGG and the reddit boardgames subreddit. What makes Dungeon Dice a better game compared to Munchkin, or is it literally a dice version of Munchkin? If I did not like Munchkin, would I like this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox Star, I think thematically it is similar to Munchkin, in that you have a character you encounter monsters, can engage others for help and acquire treasure. However, Munchkin, often time becomes, well… ridiculous with how many things can happen at one time, and for this reason, the game can carry on for quite a long time. I actually enjoy Munchkin for what it is and believe its fun with the right group.

Dungeon Dice, in my opinion, is a bit more elegant and less "choppy" than Munchkin. Although it has much of the same elements, others throwing everything they have at you to stop you from winning, but there are limitations.

1.) there are no secrets, you see everyones dice and know what you could potentially be facing.
2.) There is less "stockpiling" of powerful cards and abilities, just to hammer someone.
3.) Most (one-use) dice can be used to aide your own combat and not specifically designed to foil others, so people are not just going to throw stuff at you just because they have it as it could be used for good on their turn.
4.) These are dice and not cards, so everything has that element of chance that really makes it exciting.
5.) The game appeals to a larger age group. My 6 year old can't get enough, and can grasp the core concepts enough that he is actually able to compete.
6.) It is a much quicker game on average. You can generally be done in about 45 minutes or so. Some games quicker, some longer.
7.) My favorite point, just a ton of variety. Very few dice are duplicates. Some are very similar, but still not the same. This creates a ton of variety, without making it overly complex (even for new players). Muchkin has crazy variety as well, but can be overwhelming complexity wise for new players.
8.) Finally, for many of the reasons mentioned above, this game will appeal to a much wider audience.

Hopefully, others will comment here as well to provide some more feedback. I'll end, with saying I own both games (with all expansions/add-ons) and I enjoy both games. Dungeon Dice will find the gaming table far more frequently than Munchkin ever will. I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the "can't abide Munchkin" camp. I can understand why some people like it, but for me the game plays too fast and loose with the rules. Lots of fiddly little details, often that have one or more cards that directly contradict them, and unless you know the cards well you might as well just roll a die to see who won and save yourself an hour and a half.

Dungeon Dice, in contrast, has reasonably straight-forward rules (murkiest area is timing of abilities and handling equipment), and although there's a ton of icons to learn you can learn them one at a time and the players who don't know what other icons might be lurking in the bags are not at a disadvantage because what comes out of the bag is random. This allows the person who knows the game to feel helpful to the other players when they explain an icon, rather than feeling like the person who is manipulating the game in order to screw people over and win.

I played Dungeon Dice with two family members who are reticent to play this sort of game (thanks to my step-brother who went through a Munchkin phase and seriously burned both of them), and they picked it up quickly. There was only one moment when they claimed the game felt like Munchkin, and that was when I contributed a bomb to a monster's attack. I'd told them this was possible in the beginning, but it got lost in the confusion of what the heck equipment is (these two family have never played anything resembling an RPG, so the usage of those tropes was part of the learning curve instead of making the game easier to pick up for them).

(Thankfully, I completely mis-played the bomb, and didn't end up winning the game as a result. I think I'll probably be able to get them to play again.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.