Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladimir Shlapakov
Latvia
Riga
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, why so few ratings and threads for such great game so far?
For example, in russian board game community New Era is one of the greatest card games. On Tesera (russian analog of BGG) we have rating of 8,5 (~ 100 voters) and it is in TOP-10. Just interesting...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that the rule book and lack of videos is stopping this game from getting the praise it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Shlapakov
Latvia
Riga
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, i think so, it's definitely one of the reasons.
We translated rules, FAQ-s and made some corrections, also some players filmed simple "step by step" tutorials to help newcomers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!
But the number of ppl that like this game is growing. So I guess there is hope still
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Lea
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 51st State, New Era, and Winter all combined... they are definitely among my absolute favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laner wrote:
I guess that the rule book and lack of videos is stopping this game from getting the praise it deserves.

It is definitely a beast to learn and teach. I made a player aid regarding all the actions one can take that includes the often overlooked fiddley details of each action. It helps immensely. I suppose I should clean it up and upload it here.

My wife and I love the game. We play New Era and sometimes Winter. I don't have 51st State.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Winter is a hardcore game, maybe not for everyone it's true.
It doesn't have the love it deserves, it's ALSO true.

I personnaly think it's one of my top five games ever, and I have literally tons of games under my belt. My wife literaly adores it.

Now I think it is our duty as "hardcore" gamers to help more "casual" people try something "spicier" like Winter (I definitely prefer Winter rather than 51st state because of the upgraded and more thematical interaction, I try to inspire a new edition of 51st that would be "fully Winter friendly" -even if I know it's already the case with few adaptations)

As a fan I've personnaly done that with Winter : making people less prone to "complex" games try it, and all of them have loved it, and then bought it for their own circles.

But it's true that with a game like Winter, it needs some... pedagogy... and a real faith in a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:

But it's true that with a game like Winter, it needs some... pedagogy... and a real faith in a great game.

Hmmmmm.....well, I am a professor. Summer break is about to start. Perhaps I'll try my hand at making a teaching video. But I'd probably just teach New Era without Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:

I personnaly think it's one of my top five games ever, and I have literally tons of games under my belt. My wife literaly adores it.

Now I think it is our duty as "hardcore" gamers to help more "casual" people try something "spicier" like Winter (I definitely prefer Winter rather than 51st state because of the upgraded and more thematical interaction, I try to inspire a new edition of 51st that would be "fully Winter friendly" -even if I know it's already the case with few adaptations)

As a fan I've personnaly done that with Winter : making people less prone to "complex" games try it, and all of them have loved it, and then bought it for their own circles.

Quick question: When you say Winter... do you mean New Era? Or are you talking about Winter, the expansion, combined with 51st State/New Era?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

Quick question: When you say Winter... do you mean New Era? Or are you talking about Winter, the expansion, combined with 51st State/New Era?

Riiight... I got it all wrong.

Wanna know why?
No you don't...
BUT I'll tell you nonetheless: when I asked my wife to choose between the two boxes (I had bought both in the same order after a friend of mine had lent us 51st state) which one we'd keep to put the whole game in, she chose Winter: hence my confusion: now believing Winter's the standalone and New Era the expansion...

It's been that way for "sooooo long" (and as I said before, that game sees A LOT of table here, habits can be quickly created thus) that I really thought Winter was the standalone until you guys pointed out the mistake!

PS: since New Era/WInter is one of the few games which is on top of a cupboard (as in: not buried within the cupboard, as in: easily grabbed, as in: played on a weekly basis) and therefore apparent in our living-room, my wife has a say if she thinks a box in this position is ugly or doesn't... like... fit...

Anyway: I really love this game.
Were we to choose three games to go on a desert Island, my wife and I, we'd definitely take NE/Winter, Neuroshima Hex and BattleCON: Devastation, the order has no real importance at this level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

Hmmmmm.....well, I am a professor. Summer break is about to start. Perhaps I'll try my hand at making a teaching video. But I'd probably just teach New Era without Winter.

I do think a teaching video would help actually.

I don't really know why some people bashed Ignacy's rules that bad... I don't think they ARE that bad.
The game is just...
Well it is fairly complex andcan seem fiddly at first -which it is not of course- but let's put it that way: are there lots of games that sclae victory points the points the way New Era does and where you end up all your games in extremely tight situations where every decision count?

Not that many... Not that many...

I know I may sound like a fanboy, maybe I am one, but I'm 38, and that's more than 30 years of gaming as a real passion. And I don't "fall in love" with a game easily. (my BGG profile does not do justice to my collection and the way I can criticize, mainly because -most of the time- I can't be bothered rating/reviewing a game I don't like...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game. The symbols are a bit confusing to new players and the game slows down seriously with more than three players. Two player game is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
Great game. The symbols are a bit confusing to new players and the game slows down seriously with more than three players. Two player game is excellent.

Yeah. The game really seems like it was intended for two players. I once played with four and vowed never to do it again. I haven't tried with three yet. I suspect I'll never play with any number other than 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
RoadHouse wrote:

Yeah. The game really seems like it was intended for two players. I once played with four and vowed never to do it again. I haven't tried with three yet. I suspect I'll never play with any number other than 2.

Same here, I have never played it with more than two. 99% of the time I wouldn't be able to find anyone as hardcore as my wife to play with anyway (lots of non-gamers or very casual ones in my surroundings... sigh* )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.