Alexis Anne
France
Chelles
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Manuel Ingeland launched a contest called INNER-CITY CRIMES AT NIGHT!.
It's another physical design contest which requirements are :
* using light and shadow
* using pop-up elements

Starting from the light and shadow principle, I imagined a labyrinth in which 2 opposite side will fight : a shadow and some lights. No only the game is asymetrical in the role, but the shadow (at this step of design) will play lonely when I imagine many lights to fight it.

This labyrinth could be a checkerboard on which doors have to be placed on the edge of some cases. For using light and shadow, I should be a "routed" checkerboard on which card could be placed verticaly. However, for test purpose, sticks can be used, so no need for a special checkerboard.

For the play mecanism, I see some actions for the players :
* moving (case by case ? from shadow to shadow ? ... ?)
* opening and closing the door (to illuminate or shadow new areas)
* attacking the opponent
* keeping and action for next round (but knowing a dice has to be reserved and can't be used next turn)

For how to play, I thought about the classic yam's mecanism. Using 3 throws of dice, you can select which action to play. But I need so try to see if it add something to gameplay. If not, action points could be another option. Less hasard ? It has to be tested.

About the light and shadow principle, I want the mecanism to simulate the fact your eyes progressively accomodate to shadow. So, player will have light/shadow gauge (depending their side). When 0, they die and are removed.

So the frustration should come on the fact the black player has to avoid the light when the white player has to avoid the shadow. They will open or close doors to illuminate and shadow some line and/or columns of the checkerboard.

In a more physical version, the light could be used to determine if a play loose or not life. To know if light is too much or too less, grey gradient on meeple can allow phisical rules. "If Under the light, you can't make difference on the different grey scale, your gauge down by 1". But for first test, I may just use light is "transported" only orthogonaly on the checkerboard until first door.

Doors can also be changed to pop-ups. Even checkerboard can be forgotten for a more free movement. I need to think about it. For a more physical version, this option can be interesting.

Umh, and for the thematics, my idea is about an asymetric game I would call "Le roi des ombres" (yes, some chauvinism with a french title ). A black player will stay in shadow, trying to kill the lights. In the opposite side, the light will try to illuminate the black player to lower his power. It's the ying and yang battle, the good and the evil ... light and shadow.

Oh, and all my apologize if this thread is not respecting all the rules. It's my first WIP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very good so far!

Keep it coming!

Btw, for the design challenge it would actually be nice to have some files to use for pnp! So don't make it become too physical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.