Subject: A Fleeting Solo Experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games of Fleet using the PnP Solo AI Captains, TC and Kirkman.

The first was very much a learning affair, I made a few rule errors, completely over-processed my fish (I didn't realise I got no points for processed fish at game end!) and got trounced - I didn't even bother keeping a score. But I'd be back to these Arctic waters!

Second play, I opened with a Tuna licence, having failed to acquire the Shrimp licence that I was after. I built up steadily from there, adding a Lobster licence and then two Cod licences. With these, I managed to get a good deal of boats out and captains on them.

TC and Kirkman picked up their fair share of captains (4 each), but TC was picking up the premium licences! He ended up with two 10 VP pubs (unfortunately, I let him have one a round too early when he couldn't actually afford it!), whilst Kirman had a King Crab licence for different licences held.

The game finished at the end of round 8 when the licences could not be refilled.

My score was 54 (licences 21, boats 12, fish 21), Kirkman had 4 boats and 7 licences for 50, but TC scratched out a win with 59 (4 boats and 7 licences). What might have been had I not given him the licence a round too early!

Game 3. Again my target Shrimp licence was snatched from me and I had to settle with the Tuna again (not a bad opening, however, I feel). This time I did manage to get a Shrimp on the second round, however - allowing me to start getting Shrimp boats out for free. After that I passed the bidding in round three to get extra cards for boats/captains and then managed to pick up a Cod licence to allow me to launch an extra boat each round. This was eventually followed by three Lobster licences allowing me to double captain boats (and pick up cards for boats captained). By the end, I was picking up extra cards when launching boats, after captaining them and keeping two from the end of round draw.

Kirkman was having real trouble attracting boats. In 8 rounds he only managed one - he was done for. TC did better, 5 boats for a total of 30 points. However, the licence auctions weren't so kind to them - and I had learned to manipulate them a little too. Firstly, in round 5, a couple of premium licences came out, which neither AI Captain (nor me) could afford. I managed to win the bid for the other licence that round so that neither AI captain picked up a licence.

In the following round, I was hoping to buy one of the Premium licences myself - I only needed 4 coin from my two draw cards at the round end/beginning - but unfortunately, I drew only 3 coins. However, it did mean that since neither AI Captain could afford them, the three licences were discarded and that was a second round neither TC or Kirkman managed a licence. (All in all, the card draw and my manipulation limited each AI Captain to only 4 licences each in the 8 rounds!) It also meant I could instead make full use of my Cod/Lobster combo, with Shrimp licence discount, to launch and captain two more boats that round.

The game finished in Round 8 again, but this time due to the fish crates running out - there were still enough licences for a couple more rounds.

In the end, I had 10 boats (for 11 points), 6 licences (for 20 points) and a whopping 28 fish = 59 points.

TC spluttered in with 43 points and Kirkman wasn't even on the horizon with 21 points.

Love this game and can't wait to play it multiplayer - I can see myself coming back for some more solo too, however. There is plenty of luck in the solo play version, with bids and boats for the AI determined by the luck of the card draw (which can go either way) - but you can still make sure that you maximise your own fishing fleet and manipulate the market for licences to some extent to deny them to the AI captains.

(Edit: subsequently played using an entirely different approach. Started with Tuna again for the extra card but then had to pick up Processing in round 2 following bids from both captains. I was playing with the Artisan Fisherman dock card however, which works well with processing. As the Premium licences started to appear I chose to limit my boat launches to save bidding power. This way I managed to pick up all three available Premium licences over rounds 5 to 7.

Finished with only 5 boats launched, but the 3 Premium licences scored 30 points for a total of 61. TC only managed 40 (5 licences and 4 boats) and Kirk scored 35 (5 licences and 3 boats).

I also used Gone Fishing this time which is maybe too powerful in solo?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glad you like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I do - I've already ordered your expansion, Arctic Bounty!

Just a shame that the Kickstarter extras are so expensive to get posted over to the UK or I would get those too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris keleher
United Kingdom
bradford
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
I've been tempted to pick up this add on for a bit but I wasn't sure. this review might have just sold it to me as I was wondering how the solo player would work and all the other reviews are on the multiplayer aspect of the game. Good job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers.

I've submitted another solo session report today, no yup yet - though need to edit the scores as I misremembered them! I made it a bit harder by using the Gone Fishing card only as a replacement for the two card draw consolation of not getting a licence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.