Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assumptions:

Two Infantry units can attack the same hex. Goal is to take the hex.
Assume the units can attack only twice in mobile combat.
Used USE_Prod_Tracker_v03.xls CRT calculator to calculate base probabilities assuming accuracy.
Weather is Fair.

Set 1: Attacker +2 Defender +1 final drms

One unit attacks twice: Success P = 54%
Both units attack twice: Success P = 79%
Both Units assault once: Success P = 50%
A third assaulting inf (not participating in mobile attacks): Success P = 64%

Conclusion: take the hex using mobile attacks, no chance of losing an attacking step each roll. Also, it may rbe reasonable to conclude that any attack with +3 differential is better to go mobile, but a more comprehensive set of calculations is needed to verify that.

Set 2: Attacker +1 Defender +1 final drms

One unit attacks twice: Success P = 38%
Both units attack twice: Success P = 61%
Both Units assault once: Success P = 36%
A third assaulting inf (not participating in mobile attacks): Success P = 50%

Conclusion: take the hex using mobile attacks; 3% chance each roll attacker attrition.

Set 3: Attacker +1 Defender +2 final drms

One unit attacks twice: Success P = 21%
Both units attack twice: Success P = 38%
Both Units assault once: Success P = 22%
A third assaulting inf (not participating in mobile attacks): P = 34%

Conclusion: take the hex using mobile attacks, but 8% chance each roll attacker attrition.

Set 4: Attacker +0 Defender +2 final drms

One unit attacks twice: Success P = 11%
Both units attack twice: Success P = 21%
Both Units assault once: Success P = 14%
A third assaulting inf (not participating in mobile attacks): Success P = 22%

Conclusion: take the hex using mobile attacks, but 17% chance each roll attacker attrition.

These dice drm combos show up a lot when infantry is attacking infantry without any supporting air/tanks/ground support. However, it appears that there is not enough kick to assaulting as far as infantry with only two or even three units involved (EXC: Set 4). Higher drms do mean less attacker casualties, though, so assaulting is a safer attack, albeit with less chance of success.

I've got a spreadsheet but it's not pretty nor comprehensive so I won't upload it; however, it may be possible to integrate with the CRT calculator to get the full range of results. I've doublechecked these calcs but someone may find a mistake somewhere and please do point it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of interest do these take into account that a particulalry badly rolled mobile attack may end the attacking units activation for the turn . This eliminating a possible second mobile attack and alters overall success odds considerably .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluekingzog wrote:
Out of interest do these take into account that a particulalry badly rolled mobile attack may end the attacking units activation for the turn . This eliminating a possible second mobile attack and alters overall success odds considerably .

Yes. The conditional probabilities were calculated accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mobile attacks have another benefit that's hard to calculate because it's situational, namely the possible creation of a temporary 'No EZOC' (i.e., a breakthrough) in an eliminated defender's hex.

Obtaining the flexibility of being able to move through a 'No EZOC' hex (by not being required to either attack again or halt in that hex) can be quite powerful in both theory and practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Please send me the spreadsheet. I'll see what I can do to get it into the CRT Calculator.

The relative attacker safety in an Assault is a good benefit, especially when there is the possibility of an event being added to one side or the other. Or when someone with Vasta Luck is rolling the die.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svasta wrote:
Nice. Please send me the spreadsheet. I'll see what I can do to get it into the CRT Calculator.

Sal

Happy to! but first I'll annotate the spreadsheet so you won't have to reverse engineer the formulas; please look for it on 5/24.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.