Subject: Boss Monster -- yay or nay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been interested in Boss Monster for a couple months now. Most of the reviews have been fair/good, but then I watched Vasel's a couple of days ago, and he shot it down. I tend to place a lot of weight on his reviews, so that was disappointing to say the least.

But then I watched Rodney demo it on "Watch it Played", and I think it looks pretty cool, at the least for its nostalgia. I know it's not a heavy, thinky game... but it still looks like fun.

Who's played it? Is it worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it a few times. It's cute, but not amazing.

A lot of the game is determined randomly. Your randomly drawn rooms have symbols and damage. Randomly drawn heroes come out who attract to the player who happens to have the right setup. Then, maybe your setup is strong enough to score them, or maybe you take damage. Then you have the magic action cards that have wildly varying effects and levels of player screwage. You can effect your position by drawing and playing more buildings, but by the time you get your symbols to align, the guy you wanted to attract is gone, and there's a new hero who wants something else.

I mean, despite that it's fine. It's just that there isn't that much you can do in the face of the luck elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Richter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son owns the game and the expansion. He and the other Scouts love it. It's short enough and amusing enough that I'll play it with him without feeling "OMG, I HATE this game". (like when I'm forced to play Killer Bunnies)

I think it's better with 3-4 players who aren't afraid to use spells and room effects to mess with each other as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Boss Monster and we've played it multiple times. My husband really likes it, I'm pretty indifferent to it but I'll play it with him.

Here are my thoughts:

-- You're probably more likely to like this if you're a fan of old-school Nintendo games.

-- It's not as luck driven as Tom Vasel said. There is some strategy to building your dungeon, especially given the "qualities" of the dungeon rooms. You can try to adjust your dungeon to attract certain heroes to go to your dungeon instead of your rival's. Or vice versa.

-- It's pretty easy to win, really. Or at least not die immediately.

-- It feels pretty finicky in terms of rules and set up for such a light game, but maybe that's me.

-- As far as light games go, there are better ones, but there are worse ones, too. If it looks appealing to you, go for it. It's not a bad game, it's really not. If you think you'll like it, you probably will, especially if you're not expecting anything other than a quick, light game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
What lighter games do you think are better?

I'm also strongly considering Machi Koro when it's released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Love Letter and Hanabi are better for me, although I don't own either of those. Or Takenokofor a slightly longer light game. Again though, this is all personal preference.

Are you going to the Dice Tower Con? We can bring Boss Monster if you want to try it. Or if you're even in the Orlando area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight-Minute Empire is fantastic

Sail to India looks really good (this one is in the mail)

Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension is light and fun, even though the box is sort of normal sized.

Gem Rush is satisfying

Tales & Games: The Three Little Pigs is a fun house building yatsi-ish game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put it this way: it looks like it's going for $20 on Amazon. I think it's worth that: you can easily get $20 bucks of enjoyment out of it, but i wouldn't pay much more. A buddy of mine has it and I played it a few times. I wasn't wowed by it. Awesome theme, but the actual gameplay is a little bland to me. It's definitely a "filler" game, as much as I hate that term and I think there are better fillers on the market. But it's definitely not a horrible game, so if it calls to you, I say go for it unless you're on a tight budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
My FLGS has it for about $16, so it definitely seems worth the price point.

Sadly -- I don't have a ticket to Dice Tower Con.

Loved Love Letter (buddy has it) and Takenoko (demo'd it at FLGS) and enjoy both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For $16, I'd go for it. It's not like it's a $70 investment. If you think you'll like it, you probably will.

Don't put too, too much weight on what any one reviewer says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnightProducer wrote:
My FLGS has it for about $16, so it definitely seems worth the price point.

Sadly -- I don't have a ticket to Dice Tower Con.

Loved Love Letter (buddy has it) and Takenoko (demo'd it at FLGS) and enjoy both.

What? a LGS that has competitive prices? Man I wish I could experience that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Monster
Definitely worth it. Played it a lot with 2/3 players. 3 players was a nice number and the game benefited from it. Plus, there's a variant in the directions suggesting the player/s with the least souls/most wounds draw two cards, then discard one after the hero phase (or something along those lines). For $20 bucks, buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it four player with people who enjoy "take that!" games. It is fun and there is a decent amount of strategy for a light weight game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George C.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this and the expansion. This game is an odd duck. I love the way it looks and it seems like it should be great but feel it's kind of dry to play. Like many I picked it up for the nostalgia factor.

It is a very straightforward game. You do tend to be given "one best option" with your draw of the cards. On the upside this game works great with kids, but if my son did not want to play it I would probably never get back to it.

** Please note I have only ever played it two player. More players might lend to a different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The spells don't really feel all that natural. Or their effects are too game-changing- Very few people ever play them. Additionally, some rooms seem broken and overall feel unbalanced.

The hero art is pretty good, the boss monsters on the other hand leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Chen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at some of your highly-rated games, you may be okay with the variance and take-that action found in Boss Monster. If watching the gameplay demo piqued your interest again, then it's probably not too much of a risk to try it out. You seem to be going into the experience with the right level of expectations: relatively light game with art/theme that matches your interests.

I received my copy as a gift, and it's not the kind of game I'd buy for myself, but I have a friend who certainly enjoys it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Asdf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Boss Monster. Once you get the rules and the round structure down, it plays really slick with two people. It lets you really compete against the other player -- "Ok, so I can defeat the thief, but what if he plays a something else, and i'm stuck luring all the monsters and i can't kill them..." It's a simple game, and there's a decent amount of strategy for what it is.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what Vasel says. I enjoy his videos and typically it helps with at least understanding the overall structure and theme of a game, but there's tons of games he LOVES that i think are just terrible. Also, i find he sometimes bounces around too much when talking about the game.

I do however, love Rodney's videos. Full game overview, very easy to find out if a game is great or not when you see it played.

Anyway, BM is like $20. Grab it, you won't be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.