Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that my local jail doesn't allow boardgames to be sent to their inmates, as they do for books.

(Books need to be sent directly from a publisher or an online retailer, so that secret messages are not coded into them, a pretty standard requirement at most jails)

Does anyone know if their local jails allow boardgames? I haven't done any research on the constitutionality of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's that... the bank job is off fellas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Games to have too much stuff in them that could pose security risks to jails.
Plus, it would be really easy to substitute the bits for contraband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't want them to fashion a shiv from the El Grande piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to send some one in jail a board game...

Its punishment not a f-ing party....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

I wasn't planning on getting caught!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about gamebooks (Fabled Lands, DestinyQuest), etc)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I wasn't planning on getting caught!!
Great! You're way ahead of all those criminals who go into it planning on getting caught!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Boy with the Exploding Head
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't send
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:

Without getting into forgiveness/ rehabilitation

You realize that jail is the place that alleged criminals are held prior to their plead of guilty or a conviction of trial, it is different than prison. I thought Innocent until proven guilty is a pretty universal sentiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
What about gamebooks (Fabled Lands, DestinyQuest), etc)?

Typically jails will censor books that deal with too much violence, fighting techniques, etc. Depends on the nature of the gamebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:

Because you might still care about someone in jail and wish to bring them a little bit of levity? Tough crowd this morning. Sheesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:

Oh, I was told that it's not really only a punishment, but the goal is to bring those people back into society after they become a better person.

While I agree this might not work for everyone and maybe a jail is not even a good place for this kind of thing but maybe I'm not americanish enough too understand.

If it is what I've been told it is, (some|many|all) inmates might actually benefit from boardgames, as it requires some social skills to be enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just may have identified a future project. Game therapy. Learning to play games is intellectual and social training. Take turns. Follow rules. Play nice. I'd rather the incarcerated did this than work out and talk trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules vary for each jail/prison.

Funagain has sent games to many jails/prisons. Both to individual inmates and as part of the jail/prison using their government appointed money to provide entertainment.

We have also had many packages returned because the person sending the games to an inmate didn't lookup or follow the rules.

Axis & Allies is quite a popular choice.

-Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules were made to prevent gambling,
and I´m affraid for those who made the rules player board games and gambling is the same. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Could you speak up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought that an issue is also whether the items could be used to cause harm (including to the individual) or whether the items are harder to scan to ensure that they aren't being used to take in contraband.

I personally feel that board games could have a positive impact on rehabilitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Tuttle757 wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

You realize that jail is the place that alleged criminals are held prior to their plead of guilty or a conviction of trial, it is different than prison. I thought Innocent until proven guilty is a pretty universal sentiment.

Agreed that this is the processes, it also shouldn't be that long of a stay. You have a right to a fair and speedy trial. Arguably, minor restrictions to rights for such a short duration may be warranted under the circumstances. The board game issue notwithstanding, you are also, you know, kind of locked up and held against your will.

The restriction comes in that it's very difficult to be placed into this position without due cause. True, you may be innocent, you may even be considered innocent, but that doesn't mean a whole lot of suspicious circumstances and coincidences didn't lead to your current predicament, at least enough to hold you and make your guards act carefully around you.

Probability would also dictate that, while everyone should be considered innocent, hopefully most people sent to jail actually committed and are eventually convicted of a crime (or else our system of arrest needs to seriously be overhauled). The rules are made for the majority, not the individual. Otherwise you could say, "hey, until you are proven guilty, you are free to roam about as you wish... you know, since that's what an innocent person would be able to do..."

As for the "danger" of boardgames, I think their biggest problem is how non-standardized their format is. Law never gets passed quickly and when it does it's usually very specific. Let's say most board games, contents and all, are mostly harmless while I'm certain at least some board games have materials that could be fashioned into dangerous implements. I can't imagine the law ever getting around to defining that "these board games are okay, these board games are not."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
You just may have identified a future project. Game therapy. Learning to play games is intellectual and social training. Take turns. Follow rules. Play nice. I'd rather the incarcerated did this than work out and talk trash.

I'd rather they learn a skill, or at least break big rocks into small rocks or make license plates. Anything to reduce costs to the tax payers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
When you feel the ground rumble, know an OGRE is coming.
mbmbmbmb
While there are instances of D&D being banned from a prison. I use to work with Kids in a lockdown type of Residential Treatment Facility. Basically a juvie but with hopes of teaching and rehabilitation. There I worked a lot with clinicians to develop a type game therapy. Basically as an excuse to play my games at work, including D&D 4e. They loved it, kids and administration both. Think about all the social aspects games can teach, as well as environmental awareness skills, computation, strategy, logic. It is really the equivalent to dodge-ball in the physical games world for the benefits (ask a gym teacher the best game play to teach skills). Plus it allowed them to mentally escape the concrete walls they were in. That is also how i got started as an MIB for Steve Jackson Games. They supported me running tournaments and giving away prizes there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain Games wrote:
The rules vary for each jail/prison.

Funagain has sent games to many jails/prisons. Both to individual inmates and as part of the jail/prison using their government appointed money to provide entertainment.

We have also had many packages returned because the person sending the games to an inmate didn't lookup or follow the rules.

Axis & Allies is quite a popular choice.

-Nick

Awesome insight from a reliable source!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baub64 wrote:
Games to have too much stuff in them that could pose security risks to jails.
Plus, it would be really easy to substitute the bits for contraband.

One of the many card games is more tricky than a book?

I get they may not want little pieces etc. But to blanket stop "Games" as a whole seems a little short sighted.

Maybe the competitive nature is an issue? It could allow gambling or create confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Tuttle757 wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Agreed that this is the processes, it also shouldn't be that long of a stay. You have a right to a fair and speedy trial. Arguably, minor restrictions to rights for such a short duration may be warranted under the circumstances. The board game issue notwithstanding, you are also, you know, kind of locked up and held against your will.

The restriction comes in that it's very difficult to be placed into this position without due cause. True, you may be innocent, you may even be considered innocent, but that doesn't mean a whole lot of suspicious circumstances and coincidences didn't lead to your current predicament, at least enough to hold you and make your guards act carefully around you.

Probability would also dictate that, while everyone should be considered innocent, hopefully most people sent to jail actually committed and are eventually convicted of a crime (or else our system of arrest needs to seriously be overhauled). The rules are made for the majority, not the individual. Otherwise you could say, "hey, until you are proven guilty, you are free to roam about as you wish... you know, since that's what an innocent person would be able to do..."

As for the "danger" of boardgames, I think their biggest problem is how non-standardized their format is. Law never gets passed quickly and when it does it's usually very specific. Let's say most board games, contents and all, are mostly harmless while I'm certain at least some board games have materials that could be fashioned into dangerous implements. I can't imagine the law ever getting around to defining that "these board games are okay, these board games are not."

I know of people jailed because of false allegations made against them. Sometimes it just needs an accuser. "Evidence" is a fickle wench.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Boardgames in Jail" would be a great name for a BGG Blog. I can see it:

Board games that tell stories
Every Man Needs a Shed
Today in board games
Boardgames in Jail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.