Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nine decks from a single copy of the Core Set and each deluxe expansion. The design goal here was to use legends, because they add a lot to the game, and to avoid mixing factions, which should make the decks more straightforward to play. Undead and Lizardmen are the exceptions, because I feel that their legends are too strong in this card pool. Skaven are not a viable faction without the Corruption cycle, I'm afraid.

While all decks are legal for both 1vs1 and multiplayer games (using the restricted/banned lists from FAQ 2.2), I'm not sure how well the legends work in Cataclysm decks. Maybe increasing the victory conditions from 8 to 10 domination might help a bit here.

Give them a try, and please let me know whether the balance between the decks is okay - there probably is some room for improvement. A click on the name will take you to the deckbox deck listing.

Archaon Attack (Chaos)
Keep the enemy down by corrupting and killing his units, and use Blood Summoning and strange Skaven Experiments to bring out your heavy hitters.

Ariels Judgement (Wood Elves)
The Queen of the Woods makes all of your developed units dangerous, and Wildwood Groves will ensure that the ranks of your defenders will never dwindle. Manaan will punish all opponents who are not keeping up with developing their own realm.

Brighter Scales (Lizardmen)
A bloodthirsty lizard swarm, augmented with some elvish healing to make your gain their pain.

Grudgy Grombrindal (Dwarves)
A lot of rather inexpensive units just waiting for one section of their capital to fall, so that Grombrindal may lead them in their bloody vengeance. The Temple of Vaul might shorten the time they have to wait, and all sorts of defensive tricks will ensure the safety of the remaining two zones.

Kaiser Franz (Empire)
While there already is a bit of imperial mobility right from the start with Pistoliers and Broheim, things really get moving once Karl Franz enters the field (provided you've prepared some developments for him to sacrifice). Counterstrike is especially useful if your defenders can show up everywhere, so distribute those Blessed Hammers wisely.

Malekith Murder (Dark Elves)
A bit of a mixed bag, this deck features all the hateful things that Dark Elves do , with some emphasis on hand discard and unit destruction.

Scarred Azhag (Orcs)
A little pain can go a long way with this orcish horde, and once you've assembled enough resources to bring in Azhag to lead them, they will be very hard to get off the table. A big unit on Smash 'Em All or the Warlord Go Smash tactic are nice ways to deal with the opponent's support cards.

Teclis Tactics (High Elves)
The plan here is to have Teclis cause a lot of indirect damage through the tactics he plays, but you'll need to develop early and often for this plan to work. Until then, a strong unit bolstered with Dragon Mage Wakening and a Phoenix Talon placed on Defend Tor Aendris is a good way to slow down the counterattack.

Vampires (Undead)
Necromancy and the Dark Acolytes are both ways to exploit the contents of your discard pile. For the Acolytes, remember that you cannot change the order of your discard pile. However, whenever you discard several cards at once, you can choose the order in which they are discarded, which should help. This also goes for your initial five discarded cards.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
These custom Decks are terrific. tried chaos and undead. Brilliantly put together.
have you ever tried to form a Chaos warriors/Beastmen Deck together?
Without the assistance of the other three chaos factions? or is that simply impossible task?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
ageofconan wrote:
These custom Decks are terrific. tried chaos and undead. Brilliantly put together.

Happy to hear that! And thanks for giving them a try.

ageofconan wrote:
have you ever tried to form a Chaos warriors/Beastmen Deck together?
Without the assistance of the other three chaos factions? or is that simply impossible task?

With the restrictions here (1 copy of the Core and all deluxe expansions) it's probably impossible, but it's certainly possible with a full set (3x Core and Ulthuan, 1x everything else) and, coincidentally, has already been done.
I was thinking that multiplayer games inspired by Chaos in the Old World might by fun, so I set out to design decks for each of the four Chaos factions, each with one greated demon and three lesser ones. Here they are: Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch.

They are probably a long way from being well balanced, as I never got around to test them in actual play. So use with caution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, these decks are great! We've tried six so far and the games have been close and reasonably balanced.

I was wondering re Skaven decks, would it be viable with one copy of the corruption cycle or do you need three to make it competitive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
Thanks, these decks are great! We've tried six so far and the games have been close and reasonably balanced.

I was wondering re Skaven decks, would it be viable with one copy of the corruption cycle or do you need three to make it competitive?

I've got a Skaven deck that works reasonably well and only needs one copy of the Corruption cycle. It does use some cards from other cycles, but even without that, it should be possible to build a Skaven deck that can compete with the nine decks presented here.

And thanks for trying out the decks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Maik wrote:
alexgrant wrote:

I've got a Skaven deck that works reasonably well and only needs one copy of the Corruption cycle. It does use some cards from other cycles, but even without that, it should be possible to build a Skaven deck that can compete with the nine decks presented here.

And thanks for trying out the decks!

Thanks, looks good. Well, except for the part where you undermined my rationale for not buying the first cycle due to the weird card distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanis Halfelven
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These are great.

I still have yet to get hidden kingdoms, so can you recommend anything to replace those cards in the Dwarf and Orc decks?

(Note I still have the last 3 deck cycles to get too....I am working on it).

Being a deck building noob (an someone who desnt have 3 copies of the Core, Ulthuan and 1st deck cycle)these sort of decks are great!

I wish their were more like this.

Also, if I wanted to flesh out the dwarf and orc decks to 75 or 100 cards, is their anything you can recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
HighElf_Warrior wrote:
These are great.

I still have yet to get hidden kingdoms, so can you recommend anything to replace those cards in the Dwarf and Orc decks?

(Note I still have the last 3 deck cycles to get too....I am working on it).

So you do have the first couple of cycles? In that case, I'd replace the Shield Bearer and Defend your Honour in the dwarven deck with 2x Grombrindal's Elite and 2x Dragonslayer. In the Orc deck, the Reckless Boyz and Orcish Artillery get swapped out for 1x Ugrok Beardburna, 2x Githit Froatcutta and 1x Pile uv Shinies.

HighElf_Warrior wrote:
Also, if I wanted to flesh out the dwarf and orc decks to 75 or 100 cards, is their anything you can recommend?

I'd recommend to stay at 50 cards
Unless you have a dedicated plan that needs so many cards, you'll dilute the central cards in your deck. Furthermore, if you want to lure in new players, having small and coherent decks makes it much easier for them to gain familiarity with their deck. With a behemoth deck, they'll spend more time reading the cards instead of actually playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fraasch
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting, this is exactly what I was looking for, I was even coming to make a separate thread wondering if anyone had ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanis Halfelven
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Maik!

These decks will be great to play.

I think ill stick to 50 cards then :-)

I know its a bit much to ask, but can you recommend what to swop in for the other races as well? (same situation as with Dwarves & Orcs).

Also, what neutral cards would work best with each deck?

What I intend to do is play some multiplayer or some 1v1 matches where people pick a race at random and are given these pre-selected decks to play with.

Saves me just sticking with the core set cards as I don't get much time to build decks and most of my friends just like to play the game using my stuff so don't deck build themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
HighElf_Warrior wrote:
I know its a bit much to ask, but can you recommend what to swap in for the other races as well? (same situation as with Dwarves & Orcs).

Try this:
Archaon Attack
Seeker Chariot -> Bloodsworn
Stocking Skulls -> Embers to Inferno

Teclis Tactics
Lothern Repeater Crew -> White Lion Vanguard
Lethal Volley -> 1x Gifts of Aenarion, 2x Comet of Casandora

Kaiser Franz
Resupply Platoon -> Veteran Greatsword

Malekith Murder
Skulking Informant -> Morathi’s Pegasus

HighElf_Warrior wrote:
What I intend to do is play some multiplayer or some 1v1 matches where people pick a race at random and are given these pre-selected decks to play with.

Saves me just sticking with the core set cards as I don't get much time to build decks and most of my friends just like to play the game using my stuff so don't deck build themselves.

Excellent, this is just about the use I had in mind when making these decks. Please let me know of any balance problems you might have.

And once you've played the heck out of them, getting the Bloodquest cycle + 2 more copies of Core+Ulthuan would allow you to have 19 casual decks at once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanis Halfelven
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks very much again Maik this is great :-)

Ill let you know how I get on :-)

I so wish FFG would just bring out a deluxe expansion with the missing copies of the cards.

My OCD is somewhat holding me back from getting extras for the core, 1st cycle and Ulthuan as it just cant deal with having all those extra "useless" cards that already have 3 copies.....

But I'll have to force myself (and justify it to the wife......)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
HighElf_Warrior wrote:
thanks very much again Maik this is great :-)

Ill let you know how I get on :-)

I so wish FFG would just bring out a deluxe expansion with the missing copies of the cards.

My OCD is somewhat holding me back from getting extras for the core, 1st cycle and Ulthuan as it just cant deal with having all those extra "useless" cards that already have 3 copies.....

But I'll have to force myself (and justify it to the wife......)

This is my favorite two-player game, I've been playing since it started, and I don't have extras for the 1st cycle. And I've been getting along just fine - there's just a single card (Abandoned Mine) I have to proxy for one of my decks. And the 19 decks mentioned above can be built simultaneously without any proxies.

Regarding Core Set and Ulthuan, on the other hand, a lot of the cards you'd have six or nine copies of won't be useless once you want to keep more than one deck for each race. You can never have enough Initiates of Saphery, for example ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
We are trying to build the following THREE different decks but having difficulty coming up with 50 cards following the rule of no more than 3 copies for each card for the first two factions below:

1. One Deck would be Beastmen (this race similar to Lizardmen). a race not under influence of Chaos but still following card texts

2. another Deck consist of Norse warriors which they are called chaos warriors but again as independent.

3. Finally the third Deck consist of Tzeentch, Slannesh, Khorne and Nurgle
which you had previously showed us this can be done even as individual Decks.

any help would greatly appreciated.

we would like to enter a Beastmen and Norse (aka chaos warriors) in a weekend W.I event as a stand alone Decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have tried to create a BEASTMEN deck or Barbarian aka NORSE by pulling their cards out of their Chaos deck but the problem that rises is loosing the bulk of the chaos cards such as the Gors, Chaos Knights, Marauders, Beastmen leaves a very weak Chaos team and I have experimented playing Chaos without the above in five games and I lost all 5 games once against other 5 major factions (have not tried going against Neutral Decks but most likely results will not be positive).

The only solution is to have 4 copies of the core set plus 2 copies of the Inevitable City (gives Chaos 30 cards in this mini pack) plus more copies of
other packs containing Chaos cards in order to allow building a solid Chaos deck which would include using the Gors, Beastmen, Marauders as well as having extra copies of the cards to build a good Beastmen and Norse decks without weakening the faction. I like to state this way will present Beastmen against Chaos Beastmen and Norse against Chaos Norse-Knights and if that is not a problem in this case the decks will be balanced and competitive when they go against other factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell ORC
France
Marseille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Maik,
first of all I would like to thank you for your work!
I have tried a few of the decks you listed in this entry, together with a friend of mine who had never played Warhammer Invasion before (nor any other LCG, or CCG, for that matter).
Since we don't live in the same city anymore, he had come to stay over at my house for a few days and I caught the opportunity to show him my favorite 2-player game...my only doubt was: how to teach him? where to start?
Then I found this page in BGG and thought: WOW - 9 racial decks?!? out of my card pool?!? I won't even have to try and explain what deckbuilding is! let's give it a spin!
I must tell you: my friend was immediately hooked and liked the game a lot!
We sometimes swapped decks right after a match, just to see if he who had won had just been "lucky" or had a better deck... and I must say that we were amazed by the sheer amount of fun we had!
We've tried Orcs vs Dwarves; Empire vs High Elves...and then we got "stuck" playing Wood Elves vs Undead....over and over and over (mmm...actually for a few days in a row)...and sometimes swapping sides... just for the fun of it!
In my humble opinion you've succeeded in quite a difficult accomplishment: creating nine "semi-mono-racial" decks that are fun to play right out of the box and "crossable" with each other!

If I understand it right you started by imposing yourself a card pool: (1 copy of each Big Box expansion) and one goal (the biggest possible number of playable, and - most importantly - balanced, decks... approximately mono-racial and sporting, if possible, a legend).

What about raising the bar of the expectations, while leaving some room for card pool adjustment?

I explain myself: I would love to have 10 pre-made playable decks (one for each race, so including Skaven) with legend cards (where it doesn't break balance!)..and possibly a few quest cards, since i find that quests are a part of this game that I seldom use (but would love to).
The pool of cards from where i can pick is the BigBoxed (core+expansions - one copy each) plus the BloodQuest Cycle.... but I'm willing to buy into the other cycles if required... I especially look forward to getting the Eternal War Cycle (just for the fun of it), the Morrslieb Cycle (in order to get more Wood elves cards) and of course the Corruption Cycle (in order to get some Skaven cards...the poor creatures are sadly underdeveloped elsewhere, am I right?)

Do you think it's possible?

And...with all the cards that are left unused from such a card pool... do you think it would be possible to assemble some more decks? Maybe a little less balanced, or maybe more racially-mixed or maybe just a bit more difficult to play..?

P.S. I and my friend will of course try out the remaining decks you designed that we still haven't played (Lizardmen, Chaos and Dark Elves) As soon as we do I will let you know how it played!
Thanks again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Johnstone
Canada
Villa Straylight, Freeside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what I was looking for. Gotta love that! I only own 1 core and each large expansion. I was having trouble getting this game to the table but this post has brought it back from the brink. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vorpal_Cortex wrote:
Just what I was looking for. Gotta love that! I only own 1 core and each large expansion. I was having trouble getting this game to the table but this post has brought it back from the brink. Thank you!

I cannot wait until my order of the core + all expansions delivers next week. With this site I will have this game on the table all weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Darling
msg tools
FYI the Wood Elf deck says it has 6 copies of Innovation. But Deckbox doesn't count the other three, I guess, so the deck really does have 50 cards in it total.

Thanks so much for putting these together! My family picked up Warhammer Invasion when it first came out, but stopped after Ulthuan. My dad and brother played the Orc and Dwarf decks (respectively) against each other last night; Orcs won, but they were one point away from losing. In other words, it was a really close game and they had a lot of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but with these pre-made decks, do players still draw 10 random "neutral" cards and shuffle them into their decks before each game as per the standard rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the neutral cards are already in the decks so you just play them as they are. The decks are designed for balance against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought so. Although, it's kind of a shame as I did enjoy that aspect of the game. ie, not knowing what extra cards each player gets has an element of excitement and makes each game more diverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig West
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so what I need to play this game. I was on the fence about just selling it or putting the time in to build the decks. I have lots of love but little time for all the card games I'd like to play and this one is going out of print as well. So, with your post I got the last three deluxe expansions I didn't have before and I look forward to some gaming goodness soon. Much thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when playing a deck mostly consisting of neutral cards, do you use the capital for the main race cards in the deck? For example, do you use the Chaos capital when playing the Vampire deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReqMan wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but with these pre-made decks, do players still draw 10 random "neutral" cards and shuffle them into their decks before each game as per the standard rules?

Dude, those are not the standard rules.

At best, those were the, "Here's how to quickly get started playing a game with this core set you just bought."

You don't add random neutral cards to your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.