Popular Tags: [View All]
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Land Grab started out as a fencing game, but took a detour along the way. What I find interesting about the game is that it has three types of moves - A point to point move, a capturing by approach move and a free-form move. Well I hope you like it.

A game for 2-players.

Materials

4 stones, 2 black and 2 white.

64 Othello like tiles, black on one side and white on the other.

Definitions

Claim - An orthogonally adjacent group of friendly tiles.
Adjacent – adjacent from this point on will be considered orthogonally adjacent.

Goal

Win by capturing all of your opponent’s stones or by having the largest claim.

Setup

Lay out the 64 tiles into an 8x8 black and white checkerboard pattern.

Then alternately starting with black, drop a stone onto an empty friendly color tile.

Rules

On a turn you must take one of the following actions.

1) Select an empty enemy colored tile that is in a straight line (horizontally or diagonally) with one of your friendly stones, then flip this tile over and move the friendly stone placing it on top of the tile just flipped or

2) Capture an enemy stone by approach, this is done by moving a friendly capturing stone to an empty enemy tile (this tile must also be flipped over before completing the capture) that is adjacent to an enemy stone, provided that the enemy stone is on the continuation of the capturing stone's movement line (which could be horizontally or diagonally) or

3) Move a friendly stone that is adjacent freely within the claim that is occupied by that stone.

The game ends when one of the following occurs.

1. When all enemy stones are captured or

2. When players are unable of following either rules #1 or #2 after 2 consecutive turns.

Finally add up the tiles in your claims, the player with the largest claim or the player that managed to capture all the enemy stones is the winner. If by chance there is a tie, look at each player’s second largest claim and so forth.

Restrictions

Unless performing a capture, you can't flip a tile of an opponent's claim if that claim is occupied by an opponent's piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I like the concept, which is somewhat similar to Swish & Squeeze, but I'm a bit confused regarding the end.

But first:
reyalicea wrote:

Then alternately starting with white, drop a stone onto an empty friendly color tile.

Rules

Player’s alternate turns, starting with black.

So Black drops the last stone and makes the first move. I assume there's a reason for that?

reyalicea wrote:

1) Select an empty enemy colored tile that is in a straight line (horizontally or diagonally) with one of your friendly stones, then turn this tile over and move the friendly stone placing it on top of the tile just turned or

2) Capture an enemy stone by approach, this is done by moving a friendly capturing stone to an empty enemy tile (this tile must also be turned over before completing the capture) that is adjacent to an enemy stone, provided that the enemy stone is on the continuation of the capturing stone's movement line (which could be horizontally or diagonally) or

3) Move a friendly stone that is adjacent to a friendly claim to any empty tile within that claim.

Since 'adjacent' means orthogonally adjacent, I figure this simply means that you can move freely within the claim that is occupied by that stone. Right?

reyalicea wrote:

2. When players are unable after 2 consecutive turns of following rules #1 or #2.

Restrictions

Unless performing a capture, you may not turn over an empty enemy tile that is adjacent to an enemy claim while an enemy stone is adjacent to that claim.

Same here, 'an empty enemy tile that is adjacent to an enemy claim' is part of that claim, and if 'an enemy stone is adjacent to that claim', it occupies a tile of that claim.

Can you explain what I am missing here? So far as I understand you can't flip a tile of an opponent's claim if that claim is occupied by an opponent's piece.
I wonder if that allows for cycles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
I like the concept, which is somewhat similar to Swish & Squeeze, but I'm a bit confused regarding the end.

But first:
reyalicea wrote:

Then alternately starting with white, drop a stone onto an empty friendly color tile.

Rules

Player’s alternate turns, starting with black.

So Black drops the last stone and makes the first move. I assume there's a reason for that?

reyalicea wrote:

1) Select an empty enemy colored tile that is in a straight line (horizontally or diagonally) with one of your friendly stones, then turn this tile over and move the friendly stone placing it on top of the tile just turned or

2) Capture an enemy stone by approach, this is done by moving a friendly capturing stone to an empty enemy tile (this tile must also be turned over before completing the capture) that is adjacent to an enemy stone, provided that the enemy stone is on the continuation of the capturing stone's movement line (which could be horizontally or diagonally) or

3) Move a friendly stone that is adjacent to a friendly claim to any empty tile within that claim.

Since 'adjacent' means orthogonally adjacent, I figure this simply means that you can move freely within the claim that is occupied by that stone. Right?

reyalicea wrote:

2. When players are unable after 2 consecutive turns of following rules #1 or #2.

Restrictions

Unless performing a capture, you may not turn over an empty enemy tile that is adjacent to an enemy claim while an enemy stone is adjacent to that claim.

Same here, 'an empty enemy tile that is adjacent to an enemy claim' is part of that claim, and if 'an enemy stone is adjacent to that claim', it occupies a tile of that claim.

Can you explain what I am missing here? So far as I understand you can't flip a tile of an opponent's claim if that claim is occupied by an opponent's piece.

First Mr. Freeling I like the new look of Mindsports!

Thanks again to you and Russ for putting up with me, its only been a year since I started writing rules,can't seem to get the hang of it yet.

Quote:

This is correct.

Quote:

You are right I'll correct this.

Quote:

I wonder if that allows for cyclesllows for cycles

Actually its the exact opposite, you may not flip a tile of an opponent's claim if that claim is occupied by an opponent's piece. You can only do this when capturing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
christianF wrote:

reyalicea wrote:
Actually its the exact opposite, you may not flip a tile of an opponent's claim if that claim is occupied by an opponent's piece. You can only do this when capturing.

In that case it isn't 'exactly the opposite', now is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
christianF wrote:

reyalicea wrote:

In that case it isn't 'exactly the opposite', now is it?

Lol! Right again.

OK I edited the rules above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.