Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My son is 11 and we'd like to try a miniatures game.
Have you played both?
What did you like and dislike about each?

I know this is a very subjective question. I'm just looking for input.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried both and liked neither, but if you twisted my arm to pick one I'd pick X-Wing. It was less "fiddly" to me than HeroClix.

If I may suggest another option, BattleLore 2E is a good miniatures game that won't drain your wallet with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got x wing and i am loving this game. I had never played a game like this before and now im hooked. Its easy to get into and has amazing miniatures. I cant speak for heroclix since i have never played it but it looks great too. I cant really say which to get since I only have x wing and my opinion would be x wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only tried each a couple of times, so I do not have much to say in depth. I prefer X-wing as a game, although I have not played Heroclix in years. I'm sorry I can't give detailed help since I don't remember that much about Heroclix except that I was not very impressed with it, which might say something. On the other hand, I think they have overhauled the Heroclix rules since I last played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Landry
United States
Harvest
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero-scape. Going for $40-50 on ebay @ buy-it-now price, which is cheaper than a year ago, and gets you a couple dozen "pieces". More replayability and variation than X-wing. Can create longer more epic stories, akin to an RPG, or a quick "tactical" battle. Plus, building the landscape is something that appeals to my 11 y.o., who loves minecraft and Lego.

Worth considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a small bit of Heroclix. There is a blind buy component to it, so you won't know what figures you're getting. If you're a completionist like me, this can be a problem. X-Wing, you'll know what you're getting in each buy, though the price point is higher. Depends in where you are, both have good communities. I know my comic book store still does Heroclix tournaments weekly, and X-Wing is played at my FLGS. I suppose the best advice is go with what your son and you like the most. Star Wars (or Star Trek if you play Attack Wing) or superheroes. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

X-Wing is better, but Hero Clix is more fun to collect. For kids? I'd suggest X-wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing. Far superior miniatures and ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroclix is fun but it is much harder to get into. The rules are actually quite long and not that easy to fully digest. The interactions between all of the special powers of all the figures can require some research. The collectable aspect can be a big turn-off or lots of fun depending on your mindset. But this can quickly get expensive . . . very expensive.

X-Wing is much more approachable with a lot less collectibility due to there being less minis. The rules are much easier to learn but this is a game about building your fleet and executing proper tactics. In competitive play there are certain fleet builds which get more play than others so once you discover this the game can get a bit stale (oh you're playing your Tie Swarm build AGAIN!). But because you are buying models and will eventually need multiples of many of the ships (and more importantly, cards) this can get a bit pricey. Sure you don't need everything to play but if you like the game you will eventually have multiples of many of the ships. The $40 base game is really pretty limited in replay value. Each ship is $15 so you can easily reach $100 just getting to a standard 100 point fleet build for each side.

Other options that require less money if you just want a 'dudes on the map' type minis game with good replayability:

Warhammer: Diskwars
Memoir '44
BattleLore (Second Edition)
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Runewars

All of these are well suited for what you are looking for. In terms of bang for your buck I'd say Diskwars is an excellent choice at $40. Plenty of replay and fun in the box with expansions to add to your fun coming soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilPandaPirate wrote:
If I may suggest another option, BattleLore 2E is a good miniatures game that won't drain your wallet with expansions.

Won't there be expansions for BL2E as well? There were plenty for the 1st Edition, I believe.

X-Wing expansions can hardly be considered a wallet-drainer, really, unless you want multiples of everything.

There are a few new boxes every couple months, which cost about $10-30 or so, and you do not necessarily need them all, especially once you have a good amount of miniatures.

For a miniatures game it is pretty tame, actually. Plus the models are really cool right out of the box!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
EvilPandaPirate wrote:

Won't there be expansions for BL2E as well? There were plenty for the 1st Edition, I believe.

X-Wing expansions can hardly be considered a wallet-drainer, really, unless you want multiples of everything.

There are a few new boxes every couple months, which cost about $10-30 or so, and you do not necessarily need them all, especially once you have a good amount of miniatures.

For a miniatures game it is pretty tame, actually. Plus the models are really cool right out of the box!

Bye
Thanee

Not a single expansion announced so far

Unless you count a dice pack, which isn't even out yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
certain fleet builds which get more play than others so once you discover this the game can get a bit stale (oh you're playing your Tie Swarm build AGAIN!)

TIE swarms are so last year, and there are good counters for it if all you go against is a swarm. whistle

You be the one to shake up the metagame! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welp, we tried both but our clear preference was Star Wars. It's really true that you can learn the game in 30min. With some help we soaked in about 90% of what we learned. Now it's just gaining strategy / skill. Heroclix wasn't bad but it was just too much random fiddlyness. SWTMG is a little fiddly but not confusing. It just really jumped out at us as the keeper.

Thanks for all the input!

Mark and Jonathan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.