Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I just accepted a teaching position and would love to start a gaming club at the school. In order to get funded, it's be much easier to have research that supports the idea that it's a productive club. Has anyone ever run across anything like that?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could certainly provide evidence to the contrary if that would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha you can be a guest speaker, and after your speech I'll just say "oh bother, I forgot to tell you it was Opposite Day..." They'll go wild with how positive the results have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I could certainly provide evidence to the contrary if that would be useful.

Hah, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
Hello everyone! I just accepted a teaching position and would love to start a gaming club at the school. In order to get funded, it's be much easier to have research that supports the idea that it's a productive club. Has anyone ever run across anything like that?

Thanks!

Many studies relate the general concept of play with learning and growth but I'm not personally aware of any that hone in on board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could try contacting Scott Nicholson:

http://www.scottnicholson.com/

there are a bunch of papers you could look through plus you should be able to contact him to see if he has the information you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
A quick search of pubmed finds me very little... Most research, as you might guess, focuses on video games. I reckon you could extrapolate to boardgames, but only cautiously (or if you figure your potential funders would be comfortable with that)

You should be able to find these two online by googling the title (or PM me, and I'll send you copies).

Strategic and RPG style video games indirectly predict good grades:
Paul J. C. Adachi, Teena Willoughby. More Than Just Fun and Games: The Longitudinal Relationships Between Strategic Video Games, Self-Reported Problem Solving Skills, and Academic Grades. Journal of Youth and Adolescence July 2013, Volume 42, Issue 7, pp 1041-1052

Here's an article reporting that video games are not associated with poor achievements:
Drummond A, Sauer JD (2014) Video-Games Do Not Negatively Impact Adolescent Academic Performance in Science, Mathematics or Reading. PLoS ONE 9(4): e87943. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0087943

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What age groups are you teaching? I'm guessing teenagers. I can find quite a bit about the effects of board games on math, reading, and dexterity skills in young children, but not so much for older kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of studies that say that when people use their minds their brains work better for longer. Open the club to the community (thus including older folks) and this provides a community benefit. At least, when I ran a club at our local library they received benefits from the state because it provided a community benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
What age groups are you teaching? I'm guessing teenagers. I can find quite a bit about the effects of board games on math, reading, and dexterity skills in young children, but not so much for older kids.

I'm a high school teacher, so it would be the traditional age 14-18 high school students. I think with the emphasis on common core's Critical Thinking standards, strategy games could be a good foothold there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.