Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has been playing the co-op variant. We are finding it to be very, very hard to beat. Flipping over a green card that costs 8 will result in losing 24 authority which is almost half of your starting 50. After several tries, we only managed to beat it once and we played it with the yellow card only causing the one player to discard 2 cards instead of each player discarding 2 cards. After getting resoundly thumped multiple times, we decided to play with a hand of 6 cards instead of 5 and then managed to beat it.

I'm wondering what are your experiences with the co-op variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know for co-op but for solo against the pirates the player starts with 75 authority, not 50, and a 5-card starting hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The co-op rules are as I stated. I would think that starting with more authority for co-op would make it more balanced. I found that a starting authority of 50 is too little. We couldn't get our decks going before we died. I think with 75, it would be more reasonable. Getting hit for 15 or more a turn is not so uncommon. With only 50 authority, you may only draw through your deck 2 or 3 times before you die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared MacKay
msg tools
mb
It is definitely really hard. I played one game where I won really quickly, and thought "boy, this could be harder" - and then I realized two plays later that I'd been incredibly lucky.

My last game (starting solo against pirates, 75 authority) I died and pirates were up to 30! And that was after only 8 hands, which means I got basically nothing played, since the first two hands have nothing in them but the starting deck, and the next two have likely only two new cards..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyatt Smith
United States
North Platte
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the co-op variant seems way harder than the solo. A friend and I ended up going to 60 authority each and replacing a scout with an explorer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.