Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This coming weekend, I have a few friends that mentioned wanting to try out Descent. I ran a tutorial game session not long ago, but felt that my quest choice was not as ideal as I would have liked. I should also mention that these friends are not new to gaming, so a "light" or "simple" quest is not a great option.

Here's what I'm looking for: A great quest (engaging and fun objectives) with a good story. That's it.

I currently own every expansion that has been released (including Oath of the Outcast and every Lieutenant pack), and I would not mind going to the Quest Vault, if someone throws out a suggestion from there. I WILL be introducing a Lieutenant into the game, so that they can see how Threat/Fortune tokens work. I will also be running us at Advanced Level of Epic Play (3xp), so that they can have a few skills to play with.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
How long do you have?
If it's a whole day why not try the "mini campaigns" from Lair of the Wyrm or Trollfens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll probably have all day to play, but they've been asking to try one or two other games. We'll probably only want to stick with a single quest to learn the game. I have a feeling they're going to want to run a full campaign at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally really liked Blood of Heroes from main campaign book. Should work well on epic rules. I suggest Volucrix Reaver as one of open groups in 1st encounter.

The story isn't "good", but none in Descent is. Eliza Farrow tries to steal blood from heroes to create powerful Vampire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She does happen to be one of my favorite Villains, especially with her Villain deck! I'll take a look at it. Very much open to further suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adny Riik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always use First Blood + The Fat Goblin as introduction, all with leveling up and shopping. Those quests are meant as tutorial anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
My experience is limited, having only played through the main campaign once. But for what it's worth...

I think A Fat Goblin is a good one; neither encounter should be over too quickly and the heroes have a good chance of doing well in both encounters. If the OL gets the better of the heroes in Encounter 1 and KOs them all, it's possible to 'abuse' the system somewhat by employing delaying tactics to draw your whole hand. I would advise against this, it comes across as cheap and could spoil the game somewhat for the heroes. It sounds like your group tends towards a thematic RPG style rather than powergaming, so probably not a problem for you - just try to steal everything and get off the map ASAP.

From our experience, our most exciting quest was "The Frozen Spire", which follows on from A Fat Goblin if the OL wins it. The story is basically just to rescue the guy who was kidnapped in A Fat Goblin.

Encounter 1 was pretty fast for us, and the heroes won it. But encounter 2 was very exciting with lots of back-and-forth with 2 heroes trying to rescue Frederick without letting the monsters block their escape route. At least 2 times I looked like a definite winner as OL (in fact the heroes nearly resigned but I convinced them they had a possible save option!) but the heroes pulled out great saves and eventually won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite quests playing Descent 2e was one of the interludes in the base box. I can't recall the name of it - but it has a river and waterfalls in it. Can make a really neat/fun experience as the heroes toy with jumping off the waterfall to the level below - etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, everyone! I didn't even think that running 2 quests just to introduce the leveling/shopping system. I may have to rethink my strategy for a one-shot quest, and evolve it into two quests!

Fat Goblin isn't a bad idea, even if I've only ever had horrible experiences as Overlord with it (Splig always seems to blow up, and his "Not Me!" ability never wants to work properly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Flumontanus
Germany
M√ľnchen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My favorite one was and is still Interlude II - The Overlord revealed.
Because you almost got all the mechanics in the scenario: Defending an object while achieving another one. Reinforcement for the OL, which can be taken down. Nice size of the map (not to small, so fast heroes can take advantage) and of course an evil villain showing up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: As per suggestion, I ran the Introductory quest followed by Fat Goblin. I didn't pull ANY punches, although I did make sure to not horde Overlord cards in an attempt to slam them. Here's what happened:

First Blood
Two goblins managed to make it through the exit before the Heroes slew the Ettin. It took them a bit, but they were very smart, and placed 1 Hero + 1 pet at the garden to wipe out every reinforcement.

Campaign Phase
Thankfully, I had TWO rumor cards I was able to play, and while one of them had an immediate effect, the other simply showed them how Rumor Quests come into play. They were enamored with the idea of leveling up their characters, and kept debating over what to spend their 1XP on.

Fat Goblin: Part 1
Placed Cave Spiders as the Open Group, which caused the Disciple and Wildlander no end of grief. Laurel of Bloodwood (as the Wildlander) was near death a number of times, but she proved impossible to take down with Alric by her side. The goblins managed to get away with 3 bushels of crops.

Fat Goblin: Part 2
The heroes found themselves slowed down yet again by careful placement and maneuvering of the spiders. The Shadow Dragon I placed behind the first door successfully intimidated them enough that they weren't willing to just charge in. Splig found his captive after 3 interrogations, and made a break for it while 1 Hero was occupied in the Secret Room, and the other 2 were trying to determine how best to deal with the situation. In the end, Splig followed closely behind the dragon as it plodded down the hallway with several goblins close by. The warrior was pelted with arrows MANY times and dropped almost every turn as a result... Alric and Laurel, once again, proved impossible to take down, but they broke formation at the last minute, allowing Splig to run free!

Overall Results
While the group felt a bit overwhelmed at the end of Fat Goblin, they LOVED the game! They're incredibly excited to start a full campaign, having chosen their heroes for their first real run of the game (Laurel of Bloodwood as Wildlander, Alric as Disciple, and Trenloe as the Beastmaster)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Campaign Phase
Thankfully, I had TWO rumor cards I was able to play,

Rules for rumor cards state that you can use only 1 per campaign phase. I don't think it matters much, as now you're left with only 1 for the whole campaign

Quote:
While the group felt a bit overwhelmed at the end of Fat Goblin, they LOVED the game!

Glad to hear that. Hopefully you'll be able to continue the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
Quote:
Campaign Phase
Thankfully, I had TWO rumor cards I was able to play,

Rules for rumor cards state that you can use only 1 per campaign phase. I don't think it matters much, as now you're left with only 1 for the whole campaign

Dang! I had a feeling I had been doing something wrong. Still, it didn't really affect anything much, and gave them a good enough feel regarding the way the rumors worked. Thanks for the reminder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chasewystone wrote:
UPDATE: As per suggestion, I ran the Introductory quest followed by Fat Goblin.

How long did this take including set-up, rules explanation and play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I THINK we ran for about 4 hours? Maybe 4 1/2... A lot of the lengthier bits of gameplay involved some attempts at deeper levels of strategy.

The rules explanation wasn't too difficult, and took about 20 minutes. They didn't need to know specifics as to how the Overlord worked, or how to set up the quests, so I focused on what the Heroes could do during their turn: movement, fatigue worked, and how their classes worked. Everything else I explained as we were playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.