Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife has an interesting opportunity to do this, but...well, it's a risk. She passed the interviews and was invited to the 4-week training. Thing is, they say that 75% of those who are accepted into training for it wash out.

Is that legit? Are 3/4 of those who make it past the interviews and background screening washed out of the training? Is it because many of those who somehow get past the interviews are still not really into it? Or, is it just INSANELY hard to pass?

Anyone with any experience on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who is an international pilot. I'll look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Anybody here been - or knows - an airline flight attenda
The Travel Channel recently had a reality series that followed a group through the Frontier Airlines flight attendant training program.
Frontier claimed that 50% would not make it though the training program. Several students left, but it seemed to me that far greater than 50% passed the course. I wonder if they say this in order to ensure that only those who are really interested take the plunge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
The Travel Channel recently had a reality series that followed a group through the Frontier Airlines flight attendant training program.
Frontier claimed that 50% would not make it though the training program. Several students left, but it seemed to me that far greater than 50% passed the course. I wonder if they say this in order to ensure that only those who are really interested take the plunge.

Question is - on those who 'did not make it' - did it seem like they messed up on things that were petty criticisms? Or did they actually just try their best and still fail? (Think one of my coworkers saw that show - mentioned something about someone being kicked out for showing up to class chewing gum, or someone else kicked out for not allowing enough time to catch a flight and missing it. I'd throw both of those in the "well, DUH" catagory and expect them to fail - just concerned really more about written testing and memorization stuff.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People were kicked out because they didn't follow the rules. The rules were strictly enforced.

For example, if you were 1 minute late to class... you were kicked out. The rules, however, were made clear at the beginning of the class.

The second way people were kicked out was because they failed the tests. You were allowed one "retake" if you failed an exam. If you failed two exams (including your retake), you were kicked out.

Strict, but entirely open and fair. Anyone with half a brain, and some level of organization, should have passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, that's kind of along the lines of what I was expecting. She shouldn't have any problem with that. Was more concerned about tests - requiring a level of memorization or technical skills - designed to be extreme enough to have a 75% failure rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, I know two--count 'em--two!--flight attendants. Alas, one no longer is (she lost her job somewhere around the oh, I don't know, late September 2001 time period) and one I haven't kept up with (she had to move to Georgia. Fascinating girl, pretty as a peach, never see her again, etc., etc.) They both pretty much echo what's already been said--punctuality is a must, rules are meant to be enforced, etc. The latter one mentioned that 1) airline attendants need to be psychologically prepared for anything that can happen, since there's no where else to go when it hits the fan a mile above the sky. and 2) the 9/11 commission Report was required reading, which I found interesting. As far as the testing, et. al. is concerned, while it was strict, anyone with the proper mix of intelligence and discipline should be able to make it. Alas, I can't get in touch with the recent attendant, so I can't get any more detailed than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.