Subject: Are Y wings and TIE advanced still tourney viable now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of the lists I seen for tounements i see don't have any TIE advanced or Y Wings. Are they still useful in tournements or has power creep got in where these older ships are no longer useful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen both Advances (Vader) and Ys win 1st place in tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
I still use Y-wings in my main tournament list. Many people underestimate the hardy Y-wing packing an Ion Cannon Turret. It takes some tricky flying, but that 360 firing arc with the turrets has made many people frustrated with the constant barrage of ion tokens.

My go-to list is:
Luke Skywalker + R2-F2 + Swarm Tactics = 33 pts
Rookie Pilot = 21 pts
Gold Sq Pilot + Ion Turret x2 = 46 pts

Nice and tidy at 100 pts. I fly the Rookie under Luke's wing for a 1-2 punch, R2-F2 on stand by if things get dicey. And then I fly the Y-wing past the opponents and fly lazy circles around the board, using their ion cannons. Doesn't always work, but I've won more times than I've lost with this list, both casually and in tournaments.

So, TL;DR, yes, there are still those of us who use Y-wings. But as a Rebel player, I can't speak for the TIE Advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Y-wings are absolutely useful, and I expect they'll remain so for as long as starfighters with 1-2 Agility are important to the metagame. (That is, it takes a fair amount of work to kill a B-wing--but very little to ionize it.)

The TIE Advanced, though, needs some work. Vader can still be played, but it's very difficult to make an argument for the other Advanced pilots. Hopefully this is on FFG's to-do list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tie-Advanced doesn't have the punch/maneuverability to match the Tie-Interceptor so in any choice between the two I always take the Tie-Interceptor. The two shields are nice but simply too expensive compared to the humble Tie-Fighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcelvdpol wrote:
The Tie-Advanced doesn't have the punch/maneuverability to match the Tie-Interceptor so in any choice between the two I always take the Tie-Interceptor. The two shields are nice but simply too expensive compared to the humble Tie-Fighter.

Especially given 'Imperial Aces'

You can get a Royal Guard TIE Interceptor (titled), with a stealth device and a hull upgrade, for one point more than Maarek Stele.

PS6/Atk:3/Agil:4-3/Hull:4/Shld:0 (with boost)

vs

PS7/Atk:2/Agil:3/Hull:3/Shld:2 (target lock instead of boost)

For a point difference! Given how poor a return on investment "modifications" usually are, it's rather telling how much better the TIE Interceptor looks...

EDIT: It's worth pointing out that I've heard it said about both the Y-Wing and TIE Advanced that they are worth their points 'in the long game'. IE., if your matches weren't timed, the TIE Advanced can use its increased survivability to just...play evasive. Don't engage aggressively, dart in and out of range, only strike when you have the advantage...and the Y-Wing with its ion turret also not playing aggressively, but just constantly "nibbling away at the enemy".

Not something I've had a chance to try, but it's an argument I've heard made - that these fighters fit in the balance system just fine, as long as you have no time limit on a round (IE., "basically never").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Y-Wings: YES!

TIE Advanced: NO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Y-Wings: YES!

TIE Advanced: NO!

Yep, the A-Wing is getting super much love in the Rebel Aces, hope the same thing happens for the Advanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread at FFG forum detailing the squads winning store championships has (from memory) the Advance as the least-used ship. A wings and bombers were way down too. Unsurprisingly, TIEs were the most used, and I think most points were spent on falcons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Y-wings are absolutely useful, and I expect they'll remain so for as long as starfighters with 1-2 Agility are important to the metagame. (That is, it takes a fair amount of work to kill a B-wing--but very little to ionize it.)

The TIE Advanced, though, needs some work. Vader can still be played, but it's very difficult to make an argument for the other Advanced pilots. Hopefully this is on FFG's to-do list.

Agreed. Y-Wings vs B-Wings can be pretty hilarious, especially if the B-Wing finds itself stressed when it gets ionized (which is fairly easy to arrange). The Y-Wing is still one of my favorite ships and if anything, the new droids coming out are just going to make it even more versatile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Y-wings are still good. Especially with all the new Astromechs they have. The damage into stress one will make a Y-wing very annoying to take out.

The Advanced is still where it was. Vader is good, but not much other than that. Though, Maarek gets some better utility vs the Huge ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should slip this modification into the next Imperial release (big ship or aces or whatever):

"My Bad"
Cost = 0

This pilot costs 2 less points.

May only be placed on a TIE advanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I used Vader in an epic 300 pt match and was kind of a superstar.

But in a 100pt list, its a lot of points to really make him work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
They should slip this modification into the next Imperial release (big ship or aces or whatever):

"My Bad"
Cost = 0

This pilot costs 2 less points.

May only be placed on a TIE advanced.

Make it a title and I'd consider it. Waste my modification, nope. I would bet at 19 points 5 Tempest squadron would still loose to 5 Green Squad+ PtL. It would also be the most boring game ever.

Drop 3 points and I'd CONSIDER using it instead of an Int, give it an EPT like the A Wing and I'd actually consider building squads around them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Poor Tie Advanced. Lots of people still use them because, well, they're cool. But they really need, perhaps more than a point reduction, the EPT upgrade on pilots that aren't unique. They'd be really sweet Draw Their Fire wingmen if they could take it. Here's to hoping they show up in ImperialAces II with some kind of rework.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kraft
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use both Y-wing and A-wing in my build and i win a lot of torneys here in Stockholm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.