Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play it tonight and thought it wasn't bad, not sure I care too much about the them though the art/components are really solid. I like the economic engine and the way they used the cards and tie everything together. Wondering if there is anything out there similar for 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I mentioned in another one of your posts, Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy gave me a really similar feel, though I liked it a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go For Broke devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Like I mentioned in another one of your posts, Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy gave me a really similar feel, though I liked it a lot better.

I looked at it, thanks for the suggestion. It's not better but different. Not sure we would like that on either. Last Will might still be the best choice but I'm open to suggestions. I'm luke warm about Last Will but it could grow on me.

What about Cargo Noir, Edo, Drum Roll or City of Iron (pulled from the advanced search feature)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
What about Cargo Noir, Edo, Drum Roll or City of Iron (pulled from the advanced search feature)?

I own both Last Will and Cargo Noir and can safely say that they are nothing like each other!

Cargo Noir is more about out-bidding your opponents to win contraband which you then trade in sets of to get VP cards. There are three cards that you can get in the game which boost how you play (more ships, hold more contraband and collect money when you pull out of a bidding war). Last Will is far more driven by the cards and trying to get synergy out of them, Cargo Noir is just about collecting cards.

Having said that, Cargo Noir has gorgeous artwork and is good fun to play!

I've not play any of the others you have mentioned so I'll let someone else comment on those.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Iron is also very different. City of Iron is mainly a deck building game and not as much an engine-building game.

Drum Roll also features worker placement for card drafting, but it's not really an engine building game in the same way as Last Will. I would say they feel very different.

Last Will is actually a fairly unique game IMHO. It has card drafting and worker placement. But the selection of card draw/player order/workers/APs with those trade-offs is pretty unique; I haven't seen any game quite like that. The engine building is not new per se, but combined with the theme it feels different than pretty much all other such games I've played. Usually you're trying to be the most efficient, but in Last Will you're trying to be the LEAST efficient! (I know, that's sort of an efficiency optimization, too, but it feels different IMHO due to theme.)

That said, I have not played Cargo Noir or Edo so couldn't speak to those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJL_WashDC wrote:
City of Iron is also very different. City of Iron is mainly a deck building game and not as much an engine-building game.

Drum Roll also features worker placement for card drafting, but it's not really an engine building game in the same way as Last Will. I would say they feel very different.

Last Will is actually a fairly unique game IMHO. It has card drafting and worker placement. But the selection of card draw/player order/workers/APs with those trade-offs is pretty unique; I haven't seen any game quite like that. The engine building is not new per se, but combined with the theme it feels different than pretty much all other such games I've played. Usually you're trying to be the most efficient, but in Last Will you're trying to be the LEAST efficient! (I know, that's sort of an efficiency optimization, too, but it feels different IMHO due to theme.)

That said, I have not played Cargo Noir or Edo so couldn't speak to those.

After researching all the top "economic" games last night it appears your right. I'm not seeing anything similar. I enjoyed my one play though the iconography was a little unituitive and overwhelming at first. How is the replaybility/staying power of the game though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
London (first edition) fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture might appeal. It has a similar mechanic in choosing turn order and uses cards to shape your tactics and strategy. I think it would be a good small step up from Last Will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another thread going on where Last Will really takes a beating from the posters ... there are a number of people who don't care for it, which surprised me. Good to see some love for the game here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
There's another thread going on where Last Will really takes a beating from the posters ... there are a number of people who don't care for it, which surprised me. Good to see some love for the game here.

Was that the one I started if not can you post a link? I'm still on the fence about it but agree that I'd like to hear some positive feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was your thread. I have the game but it hasn't made it to the table yet, now I am wondering if it as a mistake to get it! It seemed fun... it just always takes a backseat to some others and I can't get it played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.