Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Am I the only one that does this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
troy minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools

After playing Dominion for a while with my girlfriend, we play were you start the game with a certain amount of buy cost. lets say 15, then we buy action cards from the box that we are not playing out of. That way we start the game with a unique hand. but the number of gold cost is even. It just skips the no action for the first to rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the problem you're trying to solve here? You don't like it that the first two rounds have no Actions for some reason? How is spending those first two turns buying Actions in the game different from your method?

Basically, your change does two things. First, it speeds up the game dramatically. Dominion is already a really fast game, so I don't see the appeal there. Second, it reduces variety by making every card available in every game. Variety is one of the things that makes Dominion great. It's going to be a lot less fun if I start every game with a Witch and two Laboratories.

Short answer: Yes, you are the only one that does this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's only the base set, I feel like practically the same cards would be picked every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just may be the only one. But if that's what helps you enjoy the game then ... enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play an action card within your first 2 turns...

1) Use Dark Ages set. Then start off a game with Shelters, and play a Necropolis

2) Use Hinterlands set. Have a set with Nomad Camp. Use your $4 to buy a Nomad Camp on your first turn so it'll be top decked for turn #2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo John
Denmark
flag msg tools
I too really don't see the reason for this change...at all!

But if you're happy with it, that's fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjalemur wrote:

After playing Dominion for a while with my girlfriend, we play were you start the game with a certain amount of buy cost. lets say 15, then we buy action cards from the box that we are not playing out of. That way we start the game with a unique hand. but the number of gold cost is even. It just skips the no action for the first to rounds.

15 is an awful lot.
I can start with KC, Saboteur, and Chapel with 15, and ensure you never have a card worth more than two in your deck pretty quickly and stalemate the game, just for kicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KC, Bishop, Fortress. Start churning out 9VP a turn (It's base 1 + 2 from fortress right?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could go to the opposite extreme and start with no cards.

First turn: Hm. 0 coins. Guess I'll buy a Copper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that 15 is quite a bit, and the freedom to get whatever you want is also too much. Perhaps 7 with two buys would be reasonable, and you would have a random 10 or so cards to choose from.

Whizkid wrote:
Or you could go to the opposite extreme and start with no cards.

First turn: Hm. 0 coins. Guess I'll buy a Copper.

Interesting perhaps, but you might as well start with two or three Coppers and not waste time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The reason we do the buy in, is to speed the game up....we play with all the cards when we play instead of pulling a couple out of each group...also i only have intrigue..so it is not a matter of picking out of all the expansions...and 15 was just a random number we normally keep it around 12 as intrigue highest is only 6...but you can pick any combo and any amount you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjalemur wrote:
The reason we do the buy in, is to speed the game up....we play with all the cards when we play instead of pulling a couple out of each group...also i only have intrigue..so it is not a matter of picking out of all the expansions...and 15 was just a random number we normally keep it around 12 as intrigue highest is only 6...but you can pick any combo and any amount you want.

Wait, so you play with all 25 Kingdom cards from Intrigue every game? Instead of just 10 of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjalemur wrote:

I'm not sure what the bold part means. In Dominion, you should choose (randomly or any way you decide) 10 complete stacks of the Kingdom Cards. So each game is a different set of 10 chosen from all the possible cards. That is what makes the game so interesting. Which cards do I buy from each different set of 10? How many of the cards do I buy? In what order? At what point in the game? How do I adapt my plan to what my opponent(s) do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done exactly what you propose, but I have played in an ongoing campaign game of Dominion where we were able to alter our starting decks by purchasing cards. I got the rules from the files section here. I really enjoyed playing that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
devon that is what i am talking about....but we dont buy off the 10 piles off the the table ( yes we randomly draw 10 to make the stacks on the table..then we come up with a number and buy out of the box (after we pulled out the ten. we have tried playing with more cards but people just stick to there favs and the others dont get touched anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
ninjalemur wrote:
............ but people just stick to there favs and the others dont get touched anyways

I've never played the way you described in your first post and have not felt the need for a change like that after the many games played so far (but note that is with expansions included).

So makes me wonder why are you playing this way ?
Is it that you only use the base set and got bored ?
Is it that you only play against your girlfriend and same strategy happens over and over ?

Adding an expansion brings variety, adding an other player will add a different play style to your table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
it is mostly cause we got the base set and got bored...we play mostly by ourselves, we are newly parents so thats why we kinda wanted to speed up the pace ( not alot of down time with new baby). But we do have another couple that as the first game(again i have intrigue) and alchemy...so we have played with other sets. but mostly it is because my lady just started playing magic and she enjoys the separate hand idea. it is not that we always play this way mind you...but it is a nice change of pace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Sounds very familiar.

Add expansions.
Given you posted this thread means you like the game.
In that case definitely worth adding expansions. I would start with prosperity, guilds, seaside (to start with) for the variety in gameplay they add .

Go random decks.
I assume you have tried the standard decks from the manual to death as well. I stopped using those after a while and now only play random generated decks. Use the blue cards to randomly select a deck (or an app that does this for you).
Use one or two boxes to select from at first only.

Don't change a random deck.
Then don't change even a single card from that random deck just because you are certain that you don't like. Let the deck surprise you. If you do change the card most likely you will replace it with one of those cards you always play and contribute to getting bored. This way you will never find out what a specific (supposedly) card, you thought you did not like, can actually do, nor find combinations you never thought of.

Play each random deck at least 2 times.
Play that deck at least 2 times but better 3-4 times in a row (or more if the selection is liked) to allow you to find combos.
Had several decks that had no +2 action cards, had decks with not a single destroy card in it, had decks with multiple green cards in it, etc. Some of which I thought they'd turn out horrible but the opposite happened most of the time (only very few exceptions, which didn't matter as you'd just change the deck after 2 or 3 plays).

Add players.
And indeed get an additional player to the table (occasionally) as no one plays exactly the same.

Keep finding ways to have fun the way you are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Oh i love the game and prosperity is next on the list to be the first expansion that we get. If by random decks you mean the 10 piles, we do that. it does keep it more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ender
United States
East Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a variation, where you 6 cp and 1 gp - it'll speed up your hands without giving each person a unique deck (not sure if you're playing with only 10 kingdoms, or all the kingdoms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
just 10...we also do that from time to time but we add two silver but five curse to make it not to powerful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjalemur wrote:
just 10...we also do that from time to time but we add two silver but five curse to make it not to powerful

Why not Estates? Using Curses just makes deck-thinning strategies even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
cause we never seem to throw away cards unless we start with curses...also i think everyones confusion about me using all the "stacks" come from the fact i said i use all the cards when making my piles...since we normally play just me and my girlfriend (2 players) the rule book says we should go down to 8 cards a pile...we do not remove cards from the piles and we only play with 10 stacks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjalemur wrote:
cause we never seem to throw away cards unless we start with curses...also i think everyones confusion about me using all the "stacks" come from the fact i said i use all the cards when making my piles...since we normally play just me and my girlfriend (2 players) the rule book says we should go down to 8 cards a pile...we do not remove cards from the piles and we only play with 10 stacks

No, the rules say to only use 8 cards per Victory Card pile. Always use all the cards in a Treasure or Action card pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
oh well, either way we dont

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.