Subject: Timmy, Johnny and Spike rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
Since Mike Elliott has worked on Magic for a long time I think it is a good idea to read the Timmy, Johnny and Spike article as it can explain a lot of cards/dice to you and why some things might not work as you might expect. Why for instance Cyclops is bad if you want to win but he is great if you want to have fun.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its more that a few cards were underpriced, making the high cost cards useless in a competitive scene than intentional.

Raise the price of Gobby and Tsarina (and possibly Johnny Storm), and things like Cyclops's cards start looking a lot better in a competitive environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to make a spike deck and dream-crush people. Then the more I played with different builds, I have totally gone Johnny. I have never been a Timmy nor will I be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
Touchfuzzy wrote:
I think its more that a few cards were underpriced, making the high cost cards useless in a competitive scene than intentional.

Raise the price of Gobby and Tsarina (and possibly Johnny Storm), and things like Cyclops's cards start looking a lot better in a competitive environment.

not necessarily. storm at 5 is pretty boss. and i think people are playing a bit wrong. if you want big dudes you have to aggresively re-roll for energy. what usually happens is they buy a bunch of beasts and then field them and keep them around the whole time. or they buy tsarina/gobby and they just re-roll them to get character sides.

generally if you want to get 7 cost dudes you really need a few cheap dudes and agressively reroll them for energy. but this is all because the current meta. once my control deck gets a foothold and gobby/tsarina starts losing left and right the answer is probably going to include nova/cyclops/wolverine/punisher. since you wouldn't want to keep anything on the field (because of storm) and you want to be able to clear & attack so even if they use distraction you can still get some damage in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly Johnny, though that isn't the complete explaination as to why I was busting a gut to get Cyclops out as a 7-cost character last night. I couldn't resist trying to field a character who would burn all the opposing heroes to a crisp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 costers aren't really that bad, easily achievable as a turn 2 buy with Surfer global, but there aren't many 6 or 7 cost cards that really compete, because by the time you pull them, you will be near dead, unless your entire deck is built around draw, which is about the only chance you have of getting 7s out fast enough (Johnny/Quasar for instance).

Yes, you can aggressively reroll for energy, but you still need either mask for Distraction, or some people fielded, or your opponent is just going to smack you a few times for leaving yourself open.

I mean, yeah, other ones will make it into teams, but just to leach their globals.

And here is the thing. Once you remove Gobby... other strategies become much more viable. He's undercosted. Tsarina is not as good as people act, but she is still undercosted as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
RDewsbery wrote:
I'm mostly Johnny, though that isn't the complete explaination as to why I was busting a gut to get Cyclops out as a 7-cost character last night. I couldn't resist trying to field a character who would burn all the opposing heroes to a crisp.

hehehe, noone can resist that but seriosly if people don't generally play him and you come up with a way to buy him then you can be a johnny no problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
I'm 100% Spike. Competition is the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.