Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting ready to whip out this game + expansion tomorrow evening for 5 players and I've started coming up with an idea how to handle player elimination. While I'm not generally opposed to the idea of player elimination (and I would argue a game like Bang! mostly works because of it), I've found that Wiz-War can go a bit long if you're unlucky in the first few turns.

That's why I've decided to set up these house rules.

1. Play to (player count -1) victory points. Minimum of 2 VP.

2. When killed, discard your hand. Drop all carried items on the spot where you died. Skip your next turn and on the following turn, place your wizard on your starting space [EDIT] and draw a new starting hand per regular rules. If an enemy wizard is there, choose another player's starting space. If all are blocked, choose any legal starting space.

3. When killing a wizard take one of their hat tokens. You get 1 VP for each hat token not of your color.

If the dead wizard has hat tokens not of his color, you may instead take one of those. Effectively reducing that player's VP.

5. If at any point, you are the only wizard on the board, you immediately win the game.

EDIT: Added a subclause I'd forgotten the first time around. Thanks to Lord Hellfury for pointing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could then also think about taking out some of the counter spells such as Wall of Earth to make the game more brutal plus you could then think about possibly increasing the VP.

Come to think of it, I plan to do this with a 3 player game as soon as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, one additional rule I was thinking about was to make counterspells one-offs, that is to say that once played you remove them from the game.

I'd have to go through the various counterspells in the game to see if that makes sense or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
I like it. I daresay, it's probably the best variant suggestion I have seen for WizWar so far on this site.

With minimal tweaking, these could be dazzling. Like giving the poor zombie mage a draw phase on his skipped turn so that he spawns with something to possibly cast on his playable turn at least.

Hah... it was supposed to be there, it just slipped my mind when I posted it. I'll just edit in in real quick.

Also, thanks for the kind words!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to go with full health and full hand to avoid other players rushing to a "respawning" wizard and score another VP cheaply.

This way, other wizards might want to avoid another player's spawn point, unless they have enough cards to put up a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just tested this variant, I've come away with the following impressions.

In addition to the rules above, we used the Giant Book of Spells and Permanent Creations variant. We didn't use Deadly Treasures (no good way to handle respawns), Uncluttered Minds (I prefer some hand limit restrictions, actually) or Heavy Items (slows the game down too much).

Giant Book of Spells is a good way to thin out the many counters, when used in combination with Malefic Curses. We had 4 separate decks of 60 cards each to draw from. Each deck consisted of 2 complete schools and 2 half schools (cantrips and one other). It lead to a lot of variety in spells. Permanent Creations clutters the board nicely and turns the maze into a jungle. We actually ran out of wall/destroyed wall counters at some point and had to remove destroyed walls to place the counter elsewhere.

Unfortunately though, it all just took too long to play. After 3 hours, with no clear winner in sight, we called it a night. I'm not entirely sure where to tweak my setup. The following suggestions were mentioned:

1) Reduce Life Points to 10.
It's not particularly difficult, though rare, to hit another wizard for 8 points of damage. I don't think I like the change in play style that would arise, when one lucky attack turns the game into a hunt. Not a fan.

2) Remove counter spells from the game, once used.
While this wouldn't slow the game down at first, it would add a certain inevitability as the game progresses. Although it might just lead to players holding on to counter spells like crazy. Too small a change to the game's momentum I think.

3) "Kill" VPs can not be stolen again. As much as I like the "take that"-factor of stealing VP, the potential back-and-forth of VP increases game length considerably. I'd love to figure out a way to keep it, while still pushing the game to some kind of end state.

4) Reduce the number of VP needed to win the game.
I never much enjoyed the suddenness with which basic Wiz-War could end, without any player being able to do something about it. I've had more than one game end, due to well-timed energy cards, that locked out the other players from influencing the game in any meaningful way.

I think the respawning element of this variant works well in combination with the "kill" VPs. Although we had a case where one wizard committed suicide by running face-first into a boneyard while on 2 Life Points. The question came up if the wizard who had casted it in the first place would get the VP. We decided against it, but I'm not sure if I want to stick with that decision.

Having thought about it some more, I think I'll try the following addition.

Whenever a wizard is killed, all players discard one hat token of their color. If any player has no token of his color left, the game ends.
Whoever has the most VP wins. In case of a tie, the player with the most treasures wins. If there's still a tie, the player with the least cards in hand wins. If there is still a tie, it's a shared victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MushroomHunter
msg tools
Per your very last suggestion:

"Whenever a wizard is killed, all players discard one hat token of their color. If any player has no token of his color left, the game ends. Whoever has the most VP wins. In case of a tie, the player with the most treasures wins. If there's still a tie, the player with the least cards in hand wins. If there is still a tie, it's a shared victory."

Would a wizard who takes out another wizard also get a hat from the defeated wizards pool?

Also is this an added win condition, or a replacement one? That is, if a wizard has two treasures and a kill in a 4 player game, does the game also end due to him reaching the (players minus one) or 3 points?

I too am looking for a better way to deal with dying wizards and I like a lot of your ideas. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.