Subject: One Hive Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I understand the intent of the one hive rule, but have a question about its implementation.

In the example on pg. 7 of the online rules, the ant may not go around the hive to the right, then come back and re-join the hive. Breaking the hive during the move is verboten.

The ant would not be able to slide directly south to the final position because it is "corner-blocked" - it can't slide through that gap without disturbing the other tiles.

If we replace the ant in this example with a beetle (which is not subject to the corner-blocking restriction), could the beetle slide directly south?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Jeremy i know youve got the tattoo and everything and i agree with you that no piece can move into that position but are you sure it has anything to do with the corner blocking rule? I dont have the rules on me but i recall them being fairly clear about the beetle and grass hopper not being subject to that. The reason no piece could move in this case is that it would break the hive into two, even though its only moving one spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no, that the beetle couldn't move south because though it has no corner-blocking restriction, when moving it one space in this situation, the hive would be momentarily split into two.

It doesn't matter if the hive is rejoined at the end of the move - if at any time between lifting/moving a piece to ending the move the hive is split into two then the move is illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mateybob wrote:
Jeremy i know youve got the tattoo and everything and i agree with you that no piece can move into that position but are you sure it has anything to do with the corner blocking rule? I dont have them on me but i recall them being fairly clear about the beetle and grass hopper not being subject to that. The reason no piece could move in this case is that it would break the hive into two, even though its only moving one spot.

Jeremy is 100% right.
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks to all for your replies.

So, to make sure I've got it straight:

Grasshoppers may jump into and out of surrounded spaces.
Beetles may drop into (i.e. walk into from the upper level), and climb out of, but NOT slide into or out of (on the same level), surrounded spaces.

Have I got it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks Jeremy.

Upon further reading, it seems I was confused by the wording of the older edtion rules that served as my reference.

Have a good weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.