Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of you changed the way that monsters move and attack when they have a choice?

For example, if a monster could move adjacent to a hero in such a way that it blocks an escape route, wouldn't certain "intelligent" monsters/enemies be smart enough to do so?

Or in the more common example where a monster is adjacent to two heroes and it can choose which one it attacks, wouldn't certain enemies choose to finish off the one with 13 AC and 1 hp left instead of trying to hit the 18 AC hero beside him with 8 hp? (Even among real life predators they tent to single out the weakest and most vulnerable.)

Maybe this should be in variants instead, but it seems to me that allowing the active player to choose where monsters move to and who they attack makes things too easy for the heroes. In the very least it would seem that Villains would be smarter than this.

Please advise if you have some "house rules" that have worked better for you in situations like this. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your post, I anticipated something about monster cards, but in the end it is about general monster behavior. And yes, you are correct that this should been posted under the variants.

We tried to simulate some "advanced AI" for the monsters, but unless there is one dedicated player (aka "DM"), it is difficult to smoothly execute and it just adds way too downtime in the end (or at least did for us).

I would only recommend to stick to house-ruling that every monster's "free" movement has to be on a spawning-point first, if occupied, then on any nearest square (to it). Also, the other good house-rule is that every monster stops heroes movement on all lengthwise neighboring squares (i.e. no move points left within direct 4 lines; the diagonals/corners are unaffected thought).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would be too difficult to use some simple AI, such as "monsters always attack the hero with lowest HP" or "monsters always try to move to a hero's tile" (the last would make kiting more difficult.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it depends. To have effective but simple and quick ruling for it is not so easy task. The question is: will your playing-group need it? How much additional downtime in exchange for a more complex/realistic game will you accept? Wouldn't be better to run a different game in the end?

The most charming attribute of this game are its simplicity and quickness. Too much additional rules and it will bog down to a more or less sophisticated plotting/interpreting/ruling... with more or less additional downtime and frequent overlooking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that a house rule of: "If given the choice of two or more heroes, monster targets hero with lowest hit points. Ties broken by lower AC, and then player choice if still tied." - would actually speed things up rather than bog it down.

As written right now, where players can discuss and then choose what to do, this actually adds more time doesn't it? I would think additional tactics like this would make it easier and faster, not harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
In the very least it would seem that Villains would be smarter than this.

Ahoy there fellow villain rights activist! You will be heartened to know that the game was accidentally packaged with "training mode" villains.

The REAL villains are here. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my latest trifle with rules was fate points (1/2 your heal surge value)

always move the monster to best advantage to the monster, (flanking same tile etc)

unless you spend a fate point move that allows you to move the monster to hero advantage.

not a tactics change but ive cards for the monster tokens some, give out extra abilities to the monster drawn..
fleet such as move 1 sqr away after attacking,
minion takes hits for other monster on the same tile
skulk can only be targeted by heros on the same tiles
brute, fierce, defensive : +1hp +1 att +1ac..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
It seems to me that a house rule of: "If given the choice of two or more heroes, monster targets hero with lowest hit points. Ties broken by lower AC, and then player choice if still tied." - would actually speed things up rather than bog it down.

As written right now, where players can discuss and then choose what to do, this actually adds more time doesn't it? I would think additional tactics like this would make it easier and faster, not harder.
You are right here, this one is simple enough. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.