Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Williams
United States
Middle River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting development and I didn't really appreciate (or plan for) the effects of chemcial support markers. In my solo game, the NK army had in the previous turns pushed across the dmz right up to the Seoul urban hexes. It was an Initiative Turn so I thought to focus a lot of combat factors onto one urban hex and get a foothold into the Southern capital. In the first combat phase of the turn the NK army attacked the urban hex and placed a chemical support maker on it. With the HQ and arty brigade support the defenders suffered 2 step losses (only one defending unit) and were eliminated. By 9.9 Advance After Combat, "whenever a defender's hex is vacated as a result of combat, the attacker ... must advance at lest one attacking unit of his choice into the hex". In this case now under the chemical marker which by GSR 6.2.4 "remains on the map unitl the Reorganization phase."

The implication here is that for the rest of the turn, the NK units will suffer the 3 efficency penalty for any counterattacks into this hex. Is this what you intended when the rule was written? We could have a debate here similar to that which we kind of kicked around in a previous thread- i.e. collateral damage step losses to "flying" aircraft during the strike phase.

I'm not sure what side I'd take on this- after 3.5 days (one game turn) the immediate danger from the chemical agents probably has passed, most persistent agents should have either naturally degraded or been decotaminated by chemical troops... still, it would be a known chemical area so any operations there would be in MOPP gear and that would justfiy the 3 efficency penalty... I'm going to play it out "rules as written" and see how it goes.

One additional question now- units attacking into a hex with a chemical marker don't take the efficency penalty, just those units in the hex? Just wanted to be clear.

Damn I like this game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
YankeeGrunt wrote:
This is an interesting development and I didn't really appreciate (or plan for) the effects of chemcial support markers. In my solo game, the NK army had in the previous turns pushed across the dmz right up to the Seoul urban hexes. It was an Initiative Turn so I thought to focus a lot of combat factors onto one urban hex and get a foothold into the Southern capital. In the first combat phase of the turn the NK army attacked the urban hex and placed a chemical support maker on it. With the HQ and arty brigade support the defenders suffered 2 step losses (only one defending unit) and were eliminated. By 9.9 Advance After Combat, "whenever a defender's hex is vacated as a result of combat, the attacker ... must advance at lest one attacking unit of his choice into the hex". In this case now under the chemical marker which by GSR 6.2.4 "remains on the map unitl the Reorganization phase."

The implication here is that for the rest of the turn, the NK units will suffer the 3 efficency penalty for any counterattacks into this hex. Is this what you intended when the rule was written? We could have a debate here similar to that which we kind of kicked around in a previous thread- i.e. collateral damage step losses to "flying" aircraft during the strike phase.

I'm not sure what side I'd take on this- after 3.5 days (one game turn) the immediate danger from the chemical agents probably has passed, most persistent agents should have either naturally degraded or been decotaminated by chemical troops... still, it would be a known chemical area so any operations there would be in MOPP gear and that would justfiy the 3 efficency penalty... I'm going to play it out "rules as written" and see how it goes.

One additional question now- units attacking into a hex with a chemical marker don't take the efficency penalty, just those units in the hex? Just wanted to be clear.

Patrick, yes that's the intended effect. My reasoning was basically similar to yours but remember, also, that the weapons aren't necessarily all fired off on day one/hour one, but might be used continously throughout the turn, thus the lingering effect whether or not they are persistent or non-persistent. It's also part of the better safe than sorry mentality of being in MOPP.

Regarding attacking units not being affected: even though the counter isn't physically entering the hex, they are certainly doing it in the virtual world as represented by the encounter on the map. The question would then be what would the effect translate in to?

The ER drop for the defender is meant to represent the surprise and shuffle of getting into protective gear, moving out of affected areas, fighting in MOPP, etc, i.e., your combat efficiency drops. The attacking units aren't surprised, and, in theory, are already geared up. But now they have to move in and endure the effects of prolonged exposure and operations in protective gear which degrades efficiency. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:

laugh

Edit: affect/effect...sheesh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YankeeGrunt wrote:
This is an interesting development and I didn't really appreciate (or plan for) the effects of chemcial support markers.

I had the same question, glad you already asked it. On Turn 1 there was an exploitation combat that DPRK needed to win to keep some ROK units surrounded, but their commanding general (some American guy playing both sides of the fence) didn't plan for it very well. It was a 2:1 attack with limited support, into rough woods. So rather than waiting to surprise the ROK with them as Soeul got closer, II Corps broke them out. The ROK defenders were eliminated, and the DPRK took the hex but now have to defend against possible counter attack by the best ROK units on the board.

YankeeGrunt wrote:

I had that same thought as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.