Sam Miller
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Dipper
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Wallenstein vets -- here's a silly question from a newbie.

I've started playing Wally at SpielByWeb (and getting hosed so far, but that's okay) and I've never seen the game "in the flesh", as it were. I just wanted to know...how does the tower work in the actual game? I get the idea from the rules that cubes go in, other cubes come out, but...what exactly goes on in this thing? How does using the tower differ from, say, pulling cubes out of a cloth bag? Do the same number of cubes come out each time?

I just want to be able to make more educated judgements about my probability of success when I use the SBW's virtual tower.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, the tower has a couple of flat carboard layers inside it with irregular patterns cut out of them. At the start of the game each player (plus neutral green farmers) put a number of cubes together and then the whole lot is tipped in the top. Any that fall out go back into the owner's reinforcements.

The way it works is that every time a battle ensues, the blocks go in the top, some hit blocks resting on the cardboard inside the tower, some fall through without hitting anything and some get stuck on different bits. Therefore one of the skills of the game is remembering how many blocks of each colour are still in the tower and therefore could fall out in the next battle.

For example, i have a choice of attacking a blue or red territory, both with 2 defenders in. Normally these would be equally well defended, but in Wallenstein, i know that in this case the red player has 7 blocks stuck in the tower, and the blue player 2, so i should go for the blue player.

I have seen battles where i have attacked 2 defenders with 6 attackers and lost 2 - 3, although that is an extreme example. It is an excellent design for the combat system, and if you lose and have more blocks left in the tower than anyone else, you can complain that was the reason you lose :-)

(Like i did last time. I had 7 in there, all the other players had 2, not fair )

Hope that helps,

Mike.........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 3 floors in the tower. They are all horizontal, and are designed in such a way that any cube cannot drop straight through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some pics here at BGG, that show the innards of the Cube Tower quite well. Just look here:

Top view:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/104581

Without the plastic "funnel":
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/52892

Completely dissected:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/70906

However, in order to be able to estimate chances in Internet play you should rather try to find out, how the programmers tried to represent the behaviour of the tower with mathematical formulas.

On this behalf, you should have a look at this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/100357

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The tower differs from pulling cubes from a bag in that the number of cubes that come out after any given battle is not set - the state of the tower determines how many cubes are 'drawn'. Sometimes only a few tumble out, sometimes many many more.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Miller
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Dipper
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty, I get it now. And it never occured to me to keep track of how many cubes were stuck inside! I just need to get away from the Risk territory/dice roll mentality.

And sure enough, I've only now found the post at the SBW forum which addresses the virtual tower probabilities: each cube going in has a 30% chance of getting stuck, and each stuck cube has a 30% chance of being dislodged.

Thanks for all the quick responses, all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snell
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is video of the cubetower in action:

http://www.geocities.com/whatdasnell/100_0045.mov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Propdow wrote:
Alrighty, I get it now. And it never occured to me to keep track of how many cubes were stuck inside! I just need to get away from the Risk territory/dice roll mentality.

Wallenstein really isn't a wargame. You can only attack 12 times in the whole game, and you usually don't attack every time you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarbgg wrote:
There are some pics here at BGG, that show the innards of the Cube Tower quite well. Just look here:

Here they are inlined...

Top view:

Without the plastic "funnel":

Completely dissected:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth I heard the cube tower is being redesigned for the reprint (rethemed as Shogun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.