Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tinfoi/_hat [+] [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we already have the evidence you should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

I would say if you are concerned then move the phone farther away while you are sleeping. Otherwise don't worry about it.

Contrary to Steven's take, it looks to me that the data is inconclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The strength of the radiation drops off dramatically with distance. In addition, an idle phone emits a lot less radiation than one that is being used for a phone call.

So sleeping with an idle phone a foot from your head gives you a teeny tiny fraction as much RF radiation as a phone call where the phone is pressed against your head as you talk.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wear a hat (tin-foil, natch.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
How near?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xkcd has you covered. Take note of the cell phone info right under the blue section:

Source: http://xkcd.com/radiation/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of mosquito netting, use a faraday cage around your bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Instead of mosquito netting, use a faraday cage around your bed.
a tinfoil hat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Put the phone further away, and increase the risk of dying from an unrelated malady that you could have been saved from: if only you had been able to phone for help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the "inconclusive" nature of the issue tends more to be about the deliberate corporate obfuscation of the issue in USA. Most studies are done by the companies which profit from selling the phones. Europe has done much more independent research on the subject, and some of the results are worth noting.

Anyway, check out this article. And this edition of This American Life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Actually, the "inconclusive" nature of the issue tends more to be about the deliberate corporate obfuscation of the issue in USA. Most studies are done by the companies which profit from selling the phones. Europe has done much more independent research on the subject, and some of the results are worth noting.

I guess we all have to choose the sources we trust.

As for me I will take the word of the CDC, ACS, FCC, FDA, IARC and the NIEHS over GQ and This American Life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, cell phones use the wrong frequency to cause cancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
xkcd has you covered. Take note of the cell phone info right under the blue section:

Source: http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Crap, I have bananas in my home. I'm doomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:

You're doomed? I've been keeping bananas on my nightstand since 2008!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
mister lunch wrote:

You're doomed? I've keep bananas on my nightstand since 2008!

Shoot. I eat bananas to electrolyte up and I work in a granite covered building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
No. I would love cell phone radiation to be carcinogenic, but, alas, there is no good evidence to support the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

I am far from sure that reasonable cell phone use will cause, but XKCD's comment is misleading at best. There are multiple kinds of radiation, and XKCD's point that cell phones produce "no ionizing radiation" is 100% accurate, but they do produce electromagnetic radiation. Furthermore, the added comment on XKCD that cell phones "do not cause cancer" would be more accurately stated "has not been shown to cause cancer." There have been studies that show very slight increases in cancer rates for cell phone users, but more studies have shown equal cancer rates in cell phone users vs. non-users. See the National Cancel Institute for more.

If I were proofreading XKCD, I would recommend that the cell phone text be changed to "Cell phones produce no ionizing radiation, only electromagnetic radiation, which has no strong evidence of causing cancer."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Topical recent article:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/05/latest-study-on-cell-...

And a pointless but amusing anecdote:
I went to school with a guy who believed cell phones caused cancer so he used a wired headset and hung the phone on his belt...next to his genitals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a smart phone since the original iPhone was released. That was my first one. I hardly ever 'talk' on the phone though. I prefer text or email.

I do use my phone as my alarm clock though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:

Note that both of those links are referencing the same person, Christopher Ketcham, so you can't treat those as independent sources.

Christopher's GQ article is an interesting read but I can't put much stock in it. For starters he doesn't cite sources, maybe because this was intended for print in an entertainment magazine and not a scientific journal. So you have to implicitly trust his conclusions without any of the original context.

The whole article reads very one-sided which doesn't win any points with me either. He seemed to have his mind made up before he started which is generally a bad sign when discussing a scientific topic. He talks in broad terms about defunded or discredited research but none of it is discussed from a scientific perspective. He assumes the researchers are victims of some grand conspiracy but perhaps the research was just bad.

One thing in particular which made me suspicious is the part about a WiMAX deployment in Sweden causing people to be instantly ill. Today there is widespread WiMAX usage and you don't hear of sick people.

At any rate, cell phones save lives everyday. From providing instant communication with emergency services to things like triangulating signals to find criminals and victims there are untold lives saved. I'd be willing to bet it's more than the 14,000 people who die of brain tumors this year(http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/brain). So even if you could attribute every death to a cell phone, and you can't, it would still be a net positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Oh for crying out loud...

Come on then, anyone, anyone at all who thinks that non-ionising "electromagnetic radiation" (well, what other variety did you think it might be?) as produced by a mobile phone can cause cancer, the million dollar question:

How?

By

What

Mechanism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
People just get scared when they hear the word "radiation".

Reminds me of a protesters' march against bio-technology that I once witnessed. One of the protesters was carrying a sign saying "No DNA in our food!" What are you going to eat -- plastic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

Reminds me of a protesters' march against bio-technology that I once witnessed. One of the protesters was carrying a sign saying "No DNA in our food!" What are you going to eat -- plastic?
Rock. Delicious, delicious rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Flyboy Connor wrote:

Yup. Or food (or soap, or whatever it is this time) without "chemicals".

But it is great fun to tell these people that they are actually radioactive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Put the phone further away, and increase the risk of dying from an unrelated malady that you could have been saved from: if only you had been able to phone for help.

And there we have it in a nutshell. People worry about the wrong risks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.