F P
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Hello, friend!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Quarriors. I also like comic books! But I don’t like having having lots of unused stuff around the house.

I was thinking about buying a set of MDM AVX Commons and Uncommons for kitchen table play. I’d need enough for two players, with some flexibility for different strategy. I was thinking about two AVX starters, and two Feeds. But that gives many more duplicates than I want to worry about...

Would a single set of C and UN be enough? What else would I need (starters)?

And with MDM Uncanny X-Men coming out, would it be better to buy one AVX starter, and then a Uncanny starter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you'll need two starters, unless you worry that you won't have enough dice-per-hero from boosters. It ends up giving you a bunch of duplicate sidekicks and action dice that you can't use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
For casual play (NOT competitive/tournament) I've seen $35 as the magic number (a starter + ~20-25 boosters and some trades).

See the review at Couple v. Cardboard here:
http://couplevscardboard.com/marvel-dice-masters-buyers-guid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play casual with family and friends and all I got was one starter and about 30 boosters, which has given me enough to play to full tournament teams if I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forbrick wrote:
I like Quarriors. I also like comic books! But I don’t like having having lots of unused stuff around the house.

I was thinking about buying a set of MDM AVX Commons and Uncommons for kitchen table play. I’d need enough for two players, with some flexibility for different strategy. I was thinking about two AVX starters, and two Feeds. But that gives many more duplicates than I want to worry about...

Sell them or give them away.

forbrick wrote:
Would a single set of C and UN be enough? What else would I need (starters)?

Probably not. The cards allow for a maximum of 2-5 dice to be placed on them, with most at 4. If 2 people are playing the same character you might need 8-10 dice for that character. A starter and common/uncommon set will get you 1 die for 4 characters, 3 for 8 characters, and 2 for the rest.

forbrick wrote:
And with MDM Uncanny X-Men coming out, would it be better to buy one AVX starter, and then a Uncanny starter?

To early to tell.

Edit: If you are playing casual games and don't care about tuning your teams to their best iteration you need less dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F P
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Hello, friend!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the advice. Looks like I've got some good options!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy a set of C/UC on ebay but your big problem is going to be dice, which is why you need boosters. If you can afford it, buy a gravity feed and a starter and you'll have a great amount for casual play.

If you can't afford that, do a starter and 20-40 packs. Then fill in anything else you need on CSI/ebay

And if you don't like having extra things... throw them out? Give them to someone as a gift?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regina Harris
United States
Maylene
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get a starter and one feed. You'll likely get a set of commons and a good chunk of uncommons and around 10 rares. You will also get most of the dice you'll need. If you want more variety you can trade for the rest of the uncommons and any dice with your rares easily. If you get a Super-Rare you can trade for a ton of cards or sell it and recoup alot of your costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah H
United States
Friendswood
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a starter for the action cards, dice and sidekick dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a starter plus 28 boosters and had a lot of fun with it. Our only problem was that we could've used a few more dice. We had a bunch of cards with only 2 dice, which really wasn't too bad for our casual games. But we didn't like having cards with only 1 die. I think maybe $5 more dollars spent on singles with dice and we would've been fine.

But we ended up getting a gravity feed, so now we have plenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've bought 50 packs, plus a starter set, and have more than enough cards/dice for casual two player "tournament" games. I don't have too many rares, but I have all the commons and uncommons, except for one or two. I also have a lot of extra dice for some characters so if I was more saavy with trading, I'd have an even more complete collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.