Rob McFadden
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Game night any night!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is intended to be a review of Pick Picknic as a two player game.

Pick Picknic is a small box game that combines bluffing and turn-by-turn area control.

Object - Collect the most victory points by collecting (eating) corn, or other players' poultry

Teach-ability - very fast, "let's just play a round or two and you'll catch on" is a viable teaching method

Length - 15 minutes

Setup - shuffle and deal 6 cards each, place six tiles (fields) on the table, randomly place one corn marker on each area. One minute

Gameplay - Each turn, players secretly select 2 cards from their hand. The cards vary in three ways. First, by color; this determines where the card's action occurs (which field). Second, by type (regular poultry, fleet fowl, or wolf); this determines the action of the card. Third, by rank. This determines the strenght of the card (combined with a d6 roll) if there is a conflict in an area. Players then reveal their cards and collect their victory points (eaten corn and poultry), replace their played cards, and distribute one corn to each field.

Strategy - The corn comes in three types; 1-3 points based on color. If a field goes "uneaten" for several turns, the victory points available by eating corn increases. This is where the game gets interesting. Is your opponent going to try to "eat" a field? Then send a wolf to keep your opponent from scoring, and eat their poultry for victory points. Think your opponent is going to send a wolf after you on a certain field. Send a "fleet fowl" which allows you to snag a corn, and leave your opponent with a negative victory point meal.

Theme - feels like it fits... we found ourselves making farm noises blush

Fun Factor - high. Pick Picknic has confrontation without a "backstab" feel, guessing games, and tension. You have enough cards to have good stategic options, but there is a fixed limited; I found myself wishing "If only I had a pheasant right now!"

Bits - very nice, portable, with fun artwork. However, the blue and green corn squares are much too difficult to distinguish, which does lead to a problem in play involving the fleet fowls.

Variations - none at this time

Overall - Enjoyed it enough on the very first play that my wife and I played it a second time in the same sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.