16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games where you first build and then fight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian J. Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the computer game Dawn of War, but I'm wondering if there are quick (~1hr)board games that play like that type of game. Can you suggest any two person board games where you first build an army, city, gather resources and then march to war against your opponent? (I just played Carcassonne and would like to try a game that used that type of building aspect and then added fighting with it.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rumsey
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WarCraft: The Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Nexus Ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is the Pirates series of Constructible Card Games.
Not sure if any of the Catan series games fit this bill
Age of Empires?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Wirth
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I'm looking for the same thing, but I don't think I found it with Nexus Ops. I personally like the game a lot, but it does not scratch my itch to build. I also can't get one child to play it because the conflict is too direct, and she can't play her preferred style. That style is turtle in, research and build, then fight with an overwhelming army. You probably will not get a sense of build, then fight, with Nexus Ops. You need to dash out to new territory and fight with weak troops right off the bat. 'Building' only comes after you have claimed and defended mines, to increase your income. It only lets you buy better creatures, not invent special powers for them.

I do not own Warcraft, but I downloaded a pdf of the game rules from FFG. I think it allows more building, but I have not played it for a direct comparison to Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Age of Mythology with a revised combat system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Antike. It's a lighter/more abstracted civ-building game in which there's research, resource collecting, army/navy building, expansion, city founding, and no-luck combat. There are various victory point cards that can be collected by meeting different requirements. It might run closer to 90-120 minutes for your first game, but it goes pretty quickly.

Oh, and it plays 2-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the upcoming Starcraft boardgame will be right up your alley...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Fjords. This game is definitely not themed with military conflict, but I think the abstract conflict may be close enough to what you are looking for. Note: the game time is devoted to 80% build, 20% fight.

It has tile laying like Carcassone. The only other thing you do while laying tiles is build locations from which to lauch your offensive. And you try to lay/build tiles close to your locations and away from those of your opponents.

Once the tiles run out, then the conflict starts where you race to claim the open tiles for your people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
Quote:
Not sure if any of the Catan series games fit this bill

There is some conflict between players in the 2-player Settlers of Catan Card Game, but I don't think it's at the scale that you have in mind. Once players have developed to a designated level, they can use event cards (one I think, is Civil War) to inflict destruction on the opponent, and knights can battle opposing knights. The new expansion also has some barbarians in it, though I haven't read the rules on how they're employed. But these facets of the game are relatively minor.

Age of Mythology is pretty good, despite comments about its combat resolution system. But you won't be able to bring down an opponent's whole civilization with combat on this game. I like this game, but for many, it didn't meet their expectations.

And the buzz around Origins was that Eagle Games will soon release Age of Empires III the board game. That may fit your bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Viktory It's a GREAT game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry It's Viktory II at www.Viktorygame.com. Check out the web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking a bit laterally how about Der Untergang von Pompeji http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13004

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II is a lot of fun and the two-player plays very fast. Builds (Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Frigate, plus the option to upgrade Towns to Cities) are dependent upon the type of terrain you expand into (terrain types are similar to Settlers of Catan, but the similarities end there). There's a complete online three-side demo at their web site.

Nice bits, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard Kings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
TrimChris wrote:
You might try Fjords. This game is definitely not themed with military conflict, but I think the abstract conflict may be close enough to what you are looking for. Note: the game time is devoted to 80% build, 20% fight.

It has tile laying like Carcassone. The only other thing you do while laying tiles is build locations from which to lauch your offensive. And you try to lay/build tiles close to your locations and away from those of your opponents.

Once the tiles run out, then the conflict starts where you race to claim the open tiles for your people.

I love Fjords.. but the second half of the game is pointless. The winner can be determined before the second half of the game is played.

That's why you have to play the three rounds. So that the magnitude of a win from a single round matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.