Subject: What was your Gateway Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mullen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've searched for something like this and came up with nothing, so I'm sorry if thread has already been made.

I have a couple of friends who play some games like Avalon, Werewolf, and the like and I was wondering what games I could use as a transition from that to something more... well... "hardcore." I know I can't force them to play something they don't want to and all that jazz, but what might appeal to them?

Pretty much, I want to know what has worked. What was your gateway game? What game do you use as a gateway with new players? Anything is welcome.

Edit: I have a small set of games now, and the ones I consider gateway are Room 25, Takenoko, and Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gateway game was big and complex, and would have been crap for any noraml person.

The games I use are

Original Fury of Dracula
History of the world
Thunderoad
Masterpiece
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was Starship Troopers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (First Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E A
msg tools
Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too long ago for me to remember which game (might even have been Diplomacy.
Nowadays I would use Lords of Waterdeep - it seems to work for 90%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends how far back you go, I guess. The game that got me hooked on board games, and I imagine this is the case for a lot of people, was Catan, specifically with the Cities & Knights expansion.

That being said, I'd like to think the two games that started it all were HeroQuest and Omega Virus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harris
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne was the gateway for me... and then the gateway for my wife... and then the gateway for several of our friends. Those little meeples are impossible to resist, I guess.

Since we are talking "gateway" here, I'd recommend just the base game, but the other cool thing is that the expansions can slowly ramp the complexity up over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Catan - but only for a very short time (a few plays). I then went straight into games like Targi, Stone Age and Castles of Burgundy. I only spent $5 for Catan so it wasn't a huge loss Still love Carcassonne though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Growing up, I'd enjoyed games like Stratego, but the game that really started me in hobby was Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Carcassonne and Via Romana to introduce the members of my game group. I might use Alhambra or Qin now, although I'd let the newbie choose from a selection of games. People are more likely to appreciate something new if they have made the choice themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game I play is a gateway game leading me deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole...

These are some of the games I use for other people to get them into the hobby:

- The Resistance: Avalon
- Bang! The Dice Game
- Say Anything
- Wits and Wagers
- Saboteur
- Flash Point
- Dixit
- Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Faber
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grew up playing Catan in high school, but what really got me into the hobby was Dominion on a poker night where we had a small crowd

That group also introduced me to Ticket To Ride, Forbidden Island, and Incan Gold... a great introduction to a number of different board game genres

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Magic the Gathering a lot, but I would consider my "Gateway Game" to be Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Little Wars sometime in the late 1960s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For as long as I can remember I have loved gaming, but I would say Dungeons and Dragons opened up a world of gaming I didn't know existed. I had only played the normal family board games(Monopoly/Sorry etc) up until then and I got the basic red box for Christmas(saw it in big Sears Christmas catalog and it called to me). This lead me to hobby stores where I still remember buying miniatures and eventually Talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World was mine, right around the time it was published. And I still play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha kinda funny you should ask.

It was Arkham Horror that first got me into gaming. Crazy now since I can't stand the game or anything co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I started with Pandemic. I've always had a soft spot for coops and I think working together eased me into being able to finally move on to a traitor game where it was still kinda coop which was BSG. Then I moved into games that were competitive and I believe my first one of those was Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
new reviews: Bargain Hunter, Sushi Go
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Dominion and Lost Cities for me,
Carcassonne for my son, and
Citadels for my daughter.

All of these games still get played. Of the widely-used gateways, Ticket to Ride has been a disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin and Arkham Horror were my gateway games. I do not play either much more. Munchkin gets too vicious with my group and Akrham Horror has been replaced by Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main thing is to find a game with an interesting theme, and a game where the rules are easy to remember due to good integration with the theme. The actual (perceived) complexity should be less important. Does the group have some common interest or hobby?

Carcassonne and Blokus Trigon were the games that reintroduced me to gaming as an 'adult'. Carcassonne was/is a good game to hold conversations over, and in both games everyone is involved also on other players' turns.

Next of the more complex games was Arkham Horror, but it was played only a few times before Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game hit the table. We played BSG twice a week and usually two games in a session, with 3 players and 5 players (best with 5), also with 4 players with the Exodus expansion. We have a lot of different games now, and we have moved away from abstracts to more thematic games, but we still play BSG with all of its 3 current expansions regularly (34 games since I started logging at the beginning of 2013).

Now we added the Game of Thrones boardgame to the mix, although only time will tell what kind of staying power it has. It is quite a mean game, but ah, the great smell of victory!

Most of our group like hidden identities and traitor games, so we are tilted towards those. When you look at my collection, you'll see games from Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Citadels, Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Panic Station and The Resistance: Avalon to Room 25, Shadow Hunters and Saboteur. (SoC was not that good for us.) All fit a certain number of players, certain players, situation, mood, and playtime. Some require the mentality to have a fun and epic game instead of winning at all costs.

Also, a honorable mention goes to Cosmic Encounter. It is not exactly a hidden identity game (although we have always played with the hidden power variant), but the bluffing and mindgames are very strong in this one too. Some games have very fun interactions between alien powers and cards, and no two games are alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line
Carcassonne (with no extras)

A bit too dull for me in the long run. I am not that serious and do not value solidity more than fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinz Clortho
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
My friends tried several games in an attempt to get me hooked, including Munchkin (enjoyable, but not addictive), Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game (never saw the tv show, so didn't connect with it at all), and Arkham Horror (liked the theme, but not the mechanisms).

The two that finally awakened a passion for craft gaming were Pandemic (though I mostly played it solo, since it turns out I'm a bit of an alpha gamer), and Lords of Waterdeep (the first game I felt like I HAD to buy as soon as we finished our initial playthrough).

So it turns out I'm way more into Eurogames than Ameritrash. I suggest you try an array of styles and genres and see what sticks. Every group is unique.

Edit: forgot about Dominion. They tried that on me too. Once was enough - dull!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.