Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game and will only be playing solitaire. Has anyone developed a good method for solitaire play or advice. Just a side note I am not limited by not having accessories or ships, as I have every item. Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make some friends. Find a local store or club and play some games.

The game will probably work solitaire, but the game is MUCH better with other people to shoot at.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem out my way. Its tough finding people to play with. I hope you can find some people in your area who play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you play both sides, I think you are stuck with the Battle of the Nile.....

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
I just bought the game and will only be playing solitaire. Has anyone developed a good method for solitaire play or advice. Just a side note I am not limited by not having accessories or ships, as I have every item. Thanks


Since one of the solitaire scenarios involves ships at anchor, you should be aware of a situation not covered by the rules: if one of your ships has a head-on collision with an anchored ship, there may not be any possible maneuver card that carries the moving ship past the anchored one (potentially leaving it inexplicably "stuck" there for the rest of the game). In that case, the designer has suggested moving the "stuck" ship (assuming it's not entangled) to the side of the obstruction.

It's unlikely you'll encounter this, unless you're as poor a helmsman as I am, but it's useful to know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the Shore Batteries expansion, you can set up a variety of scenarios that may or may not have enemy ships at anchor. It can be a challenge just sailing into a cove or port area anyway, much less with people shooting at you.

I think you will get more out of that than trying to sail both sides against each other.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
If you have the Shore Batteries expansion, you can set up a variety of scenarios that may or may not have enemy ships at anchor. It can be a challenge just sailing into a cove or port area anyway, much less with people shooting at you.

I think you will get more out of that than trying to sail both sides against each other.

Kevin,
Yes, I do have the shore batteries. This sounds like it could be fun. I may also put a much lighter (smaller) ship of the line as an enemy that will come out from the harbor to defend it. I think this will provide some more pains on me in entering the harbor and provide some intrigue, what do you think? Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have some fun, much in the same way you could play Wings of Glory solo, fighting a couple of bombers or something, that move via a dice or some prearranged card options.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Necessity is the mother of invention - be creative.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be using an IOS custom dice app to perhaps create a somewhat novel AI for this game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cosgrove
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi! Fellow solo SoG player here.

Can definately say, shore batteries are critical. Playing both sides of a full fleet engagement is just not viable. There is waaay too much overhead in the two-turn planning for each ship's movement and playing both sides actually renders quite a bit of this obsolete.

You can use the simplified automated ship rules, but they are a nonsense for full fleet engagements. Your idea of a single ship in a harbour of coastal batteries is exactly my preferred solo play.

And it's a challenge!

Make sure you play with the full rules for variable wind (direction and strength) and make sure you enforce the rules about running aground (ruler width from land masses). To be effective against coastal batteries, you need to close to B range (at A range you will just get pounded), but this brings you very close to the coastline.

This is what makes it such a satisfying solo experience. Sails of Glory is 40% ship control and 40% ship management. The remaining 20% is whatever rubbish you think you've concocted as a 'battleplan' which won't survive contact with the variable wind rules or the vagaries of the chit draw bags ;-) Automatic ships actually DON'T give you a good ship control experience (too predictable and too easy to game), but navigating a coastline to within B range accuracy without getting to within ruler width WHILE the wind changes AND you account for enemy firing arcs? A very enjoyable solo workout :-D

I've been tinkering with a ruleset (which I KNOW Ares must be thinking about releasing) for managing actual land assaults against forts. Think the amazing two-part episode of Hornblower ;-D While I'm not entirely happy with my makeshift ground assault rules, coastal battery engagement does get very cinematic when you have to drop longboats and get your redcoats inside the fort.

- Omni
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omnisiah wrote:
Hi! Fellow solo SoG player here.

Can definately say, shore batteries are critical. Playing both sides of a full fleet engagement is just not viable. There is waaay too much overhead in the two-turn planning for each ship's movement and playing both sides actually renders quite a bit of this obsolete.

You can use the simplified automated ship rules, but they are a nonsense for full fleet engagements. Your idea of a single ship in a harbour of coastal batteries is exactly my preferred solo play.

And it's a challenge!

Make sure you play with the full rules for variable wind (direction and strength) and make sure you enforce the rules about running aground (ruler width from land masses). To be effective against coastal batteries, you need to close to B range (at A range you will just get pounded), but this brings you very close to the coastline.

This is what makes it such a satisfying solo experience. Sails of Glory is 40% ship control and 40% ship management. The remaining 20% is whatever rubbish you think you've concocted as a 'battleplan' which won't survive contact with the variable wind rules or the vagaries of the chit draw bags ;-) Automatic ships actually DON'T give you a good ship control experience (too predictable and too easy to game), but navigating a coastline to within B range accuracy without getting to within ruler width WHILE the wind changes AND you account for enemy firing arcs? A very enjoyable solo workout :-D

I've been tinkering with a ruleset (which I KNOW Ares must be thinking about releasing) for managing actual land assaults against forts. Think the amazing two-part episode of Hornblower ;-D While I'm not entirely happy with my makeshift ground assault rules, coastal battery engagement does get very cinematic when you have to drop longboats and get your redcoats inside the fort.

- Omni

Omni,
Thank you for your reply and viewpoint. I look forward to seeing you put your land assault rules once you get them done upon BGG website. When doing the mission as I was talking about did you just use one larger ship as yours or two against the fort/enemy ship? Also just for interest you may want to check out an IOS app that just came out called : Naval Tactics: Captains of the Spanish Main it is turn based naval combat and reminds me of sails of glory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John, when you're done tinkering please upload your rules so we can give them a go. arrrh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boyle
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also be sure to visit the Anchorage for ideas, as there are solo play threads there as well.

www.sailsofglory.org

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DeRuyter wrote:
Also be sure to visit the Anchorage for ideas, as there are solo play threads there as well.

www.sailsofglory.org


Thank you very much
- Rich
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cosgrove
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hey guys :-D I'll absolutely post the rules when I'm happy with them. At the moment, it's very similar to the rules for boarding actions, with ships assigned a number of redcoat units proportionate to their crew size and forts getting their burden in troops.

Then, I'm simulating the tension between anchorage distance, longboat safety and time to assault by allowing longboats to move C/D distance each turn at sea, but can get shot to bits by fire from the fort (potentially losing all the crew, a longboat chit holding up to three redcoat units). Once landed, the chits move only E distance each turn on land, but get cover bonuses (can redraw a crew loss chit once per round).

Assault with the fort is just like boarding actions, but now it's the guys in the fort who get the redraw rule for cover.

And yeah, I tend to put one 4th rate in the bay on defence.



- Omni
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.