1 = monster 1
2 = monster 2
X = Wall

in this case:
____
_12_
_MXX
__XX

can the marine attacks monster 2 (melee or ranged)? I say yes because if you look at page 7 of the rules, if monster 2 was not there the marine could walk on his square, going between the monster 1 and the wall, they are fully adjacent.

so in this case:

____
_12_
__XX
M_XX

can the marine shoot at monster 2 ?

and in this cases:

___2
_1__
__XX
M_XX

___2
_1__
_MXX
__XX

i would say yes to the three of them because the tip of the corner doesn't block the LOS on one side, and because the monster doesn't block the LOS on the other if the marine wanted to pass this way, so a bullet can do it.

of course in this case a would say no LOS to both monster 3 or 4:

_43_
_1__
__XX
M_XX

or

__3_
_1_4
_MXX
__XX

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: LOS passing exactly between corner and monster sometimes
Hmmmm... I disagree. Not to start a geek-war but just because a space would be accessible via movement would not necessarily make it a free and open space for targeting.

For example, the marine player can freely move through spaces occupied by other marines and yet those other marines still block line of sight.

It is fairly traditional in grid-type tactical games for corners and obstacles/creatures diagonally adjacent to those corners to block LOS. Doom *may* be different, I don't have the rules in front of me, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
kakupacal wrote:
Doom *may* be different, I don't have the rules in front of me, but I doubt it.

Doom *is* different. I do have the rules, in PDF form, available, and I am familiar with this issue besides. Corner-touches in Doom do not block LOS. The FAQ makes this clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilderness War Warrior
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you look at the rules of Descent, almost the same game:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/descentrules.pdf

page 10, Line of sight example, you see Silhouette behind a pillar/wall, but she is able to have a line of sight to the right that goes between this pillar in one side and the wall of the corridor in the other side!

So the Line of Sight can go beetween two wall diagonally adjacent or two monster diagonally adjacent, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It may be that you can provide solid, concrete examples and cite the rules specifically but for me to back down now would be to admit defeat so I am sticking with my original statement.

Not only do I disagree with that "interpretation" of the rules but I boldly state that any FAQs to the contrary are misguided fan-boy propaganda.

I cannot be swayed!!! Nay, I say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilderness War Warrior
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the example page 10, Line of sight example, Silhouette should be able (in the game DOOM) to see the square 1UP 3LEFT from her.

I say run run, TRUST NO ONE! My example in the Descent rulebook is a trap to mislead you neil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Okay... I give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
ced1106 wrote:
*g* Play enough of these "dungeon crawl" gridgames and you'll find enough exceptions to LOS that you just give up. The D&D Basic Game, in fact, has a "peeking around a corner" situation where one piece can have LOS to the other, but not the reverse!

There is a reason I made up a partial cover mod (see variants forum for details). I believe my LOS rules clear up the vast majority of problems which are likely to occur in Doom (though I suspect that some problems might still occur when extreme ranges are involved - but possibly not until you get beyond the range at which any Doom weapon can hit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.