Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, as you already know, people
badge
Everything happens so much
mbmbmbmbmb
They all look really good. Tourist is hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yessssssssssssssss. I already have more aliens than I'll ever use, but I'm still excited. This should be a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love what I'm seeing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Bill, what happened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Bill, what happened?

The fans designed some aliens, and FFG announced they are printing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I just now noticed that FFG also previewed a couple of the reward deck cards (they were hidden behind some text links). One is a Rift 3 (one of the very few cards in the new reward deck that's a copy of a prior card) with slightly updated text, and the other is one of the new special-text kickers:

EDIT: Added the rift card image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Hey, I just now noticed that FFG also previewed a couple of the reward deck cards (they were hidden behind some text links). One is a Rift 3 (one of the very few cards in the new reward deck that's a copy of a prior card), and the other is this:

So, that's just there to completely betray your allies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:

Well, that and win the encounter. It can also be a dramatic way to win the game solo, or an object lesson in accepting alliance invitations indiscriminately. Or you can just not invite allies, and it's still a kicker x2. It all depends on the situation and your play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Bill Martinson wrote:
Hey, I just now noticed that FFG also previewed a couple of the reward deck cards (they were hidden behind some text links). One is a Rift 3 (one of the very few cards in the new reward deck that's a copy of a prior card), and the other is this:

Yep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like that would be a really anti-climactic way to hose your allies out of a shared victory - especially since Kickers aren't played until after allies have committed. I really hope there's not more than one of these in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Seems like that would be a really anti-climactic way to hose your allies out of a shared victory

Well, are there any non-anticlimactic ways to hose an ally out of a shared victory? They're all a letdown for the ally, and a huge climactic ending for the winner.

I see this as a dramatic and classic way for a Cosmic game to end, with cheers, jeers, and groans all around the table; eliciting a tip of the hat and a vow of revenge from those who know how to be good losers and appreciate the patience and hand management usually needed to craft such a final play.

Or perhaps it's not the end of the game at all, since there would often be some follow-up surprises as the betrayed allies scramble to scuttle the encounter any way they can. The situation is ripe for counter-betrayal since they'll get to see the Duplicity kicker before playing their Reinforcements or other post-reveal effects. Since Reinforcements are bidirectional, the Duplicitous offense has to be able to withstand the combined total of his allies' reinforcements, now comically played for the opponent's benefit.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, I suppose, but I like how it rewards the player who actually won his fifth colony on his own encounter, and works as a strong counterpoint to the longstanding fact that winning allies get a better deal out of an encounter than their main player.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I really hope there's not more than one of these in the deck.

I guess I'm not really giving away much by saying that each special-text kicker is unique.

There are, of course, a few effects in the game (and maybe a couple of new ones coming) that could retrieve such a card for re-use, but then everyone would be alerted that it was coming again (which in itself is an interesting dynamic).

In fact, just the existence of this card can lead to interesting table talk. Somebody might state that he knows a main player has the Duplicity kicker (whether the truth, a lie, or a guess), just to dissuade allies from joining that side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That Kicker is mean, but I like it. I may have missed this being spelled out in the rules somewhere, but its conditional phrase "leave the hyperspace gate" is new to me. As I read it, the assumption is that attacking ships remain on the gate until removed by an effect or until the end of Resolution. Is that correct?

I was originally thinking Forcefield would be nasty here, but if I recall correctly it goes off during Alliance, while the Kicker essentially goes off during Reveal. Are there effects in the game that would remove allies from the gate during Reveal, before they have a chance to play reinforcements or otherwise throw spanners in the works?

Also, are there effects that allow/force ships to stay on the gate after an encounter? That would be interesting ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
5+ weeks since the announcement that this expansion is coming out with zero further previews since. This is a record for FFG. Are they sleeping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
Are they sleeping?

Nope; there will be more Cosmic news. Keep in mind that this set is different for them in a lot of ways, which includes schedules. Hang in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the truck now, Expected by: August 14th

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.