Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Civilization» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Musings on Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stokey Brown
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maschinen Plunger
Avatar
mbmbmb
Musings on Civilization Strategy

I've played about 6 times. Here are some random thoughts about it in no particular order:

Don't build cities until the turn you're entering the Early Bronze age. You don't want to hamstring the growth of your population just as the game is heating up. It's not like there is an upside to an early city anyway.

The first 3-4 turns are a land grab. Borders set early in the game tend to persist (barring Calamity) so rush outward to get advantageous city sites and deny them to the other players. Once borders are more or less established, consider negotiating a border truce with your neighbor so that you can concentrate on more productive things than border conflicts. Conflict is a lose:lose proposition.

On the other hand, if you find yourself in a position where you're going to lose tokens to population limits, consider throwing them at your neighbor, especially if he/she isn't behind, and especially if you have metalworking.

When in doubt, maintain the damn boat unless it will bring you below 18 treasury. You'll probably want it, especially when you inadvertently buy Piracy.

Never stack your tokens >2 or else you won't get maximum population growth. Of course, once the board is filled out and you're running low on tokens, it doesn't really matter anymore.

With Mysticism in play, Egypt and Babylon can get past the Early and Late Bronze Age thresholds without stopping if they play it just right. Without Mysticism in play (when playing a short game), they are guaranteed to get stuck at one or the other.

Upon examining the AST, Thrace is better than Illyria and Assyria is better than Babylon. I don't know why anyone would ever choose to play Illyria or Babylon.

Once you've identified a leader beginning to break away from the pack, it's more than likely too late to do anything about it. Stay vigilant and look for people who might get in the lead in a turn or two so you can act early by taking down a city or making sure they get your Epidemic.

Equitably sharing Famine and Epidemic damage can make you look like a good guy even though you're sharing Famine and Epidemic damage.

It's almost always better to wait a turn to grow your trade card set even if you can buy something now.

Equitably trade with people. Successful trading doesn't require swindling people. Interrupt trade negotiations with your own, better trade offer.

Trading Civil Disorder or Iconoclasm & Heresy to someone with Agriculture will might cause them a lot of revolts next turn.

Buy Law before you think you'll need it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko G├╝nther
Germany
Saarbr├╝cken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Avatar
zurupeto wrote:
Upon examining the AST, Thrace is better than Illyria and Assyria is better than Babylon. I don't know why anyone would ever choose to play Illyria or Babylon.
If the game was solely played on the AST, your observation would be totally correct. But since the map is another, important, part of the game, starting positions and potential zones of influence and expansion should be taken into the equation as well.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Helbing
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
Illyria and Thrace have near-identical entry zones. As do Assyria and Babylon. Hence the AST position becomes the determinant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crooktooth wrote:
Illyria and Thrace have near-identical entry zones. As do Assyria and Babylon. Hence the AST position becomes the determinant.


I'm surprised you didn't claim this for Egypt and Africa.

Babylon starts in a river valley with a wealth of city site and need to protect against floods, Assyria has to fight for city sites. Illyria starts with better agricultural land and quicker access to southern Greece than Thrace. Their starting position are not close to near-identical.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokey Brown
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maschinen Plunger
Avatar
mbmbmb
EricHogue wrote:
crooktooth wrote:
Illyria and Thrace have near-identical entry zones. As do Assyria and Babylon. Hence the AST position becomes the determinant.


I'm surprised you didn't claim this for Egypt and Africa.


I'm not sure if you mean this facetiously or not. If you don't, then I'll state that Africa and Egypt play very differently and, at least in my experience, rarely quarrel. Africa gets into it with Italy and Egypt fights with Babylon and/or Assyria. If given a choice between the two, it's really a matter of preference.

EricHogue wrote:
Babylon starts in a river valley with a wealth of city site and need to protect against floods, Assyria has to fight for city sites. Illyria starts with better agricultural land and quicker access to southern Greece than Thrace. Their starting position are not close to near-identical.


Rarely will someone choose Babylon if someone's already chosen Assyria (and vice versa). The same goes for Illyria and Thrace. So, in most games, Assyria will have access to Babylon's city sites since no one will have chosen Babylon, and the same applies for Thrace getting a vacant Illyria's benefits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zurupeto wrote:
Rarely will someone choose Babylon if someone's already chosen Assyria (and vice versa). The same goes for Illyria and Thrace. So, in most games, Assyria will have access to Babylon's city sites since no one will have chosen Babylon, and the same applies for Thrace getting a vacant Illyria's benefits.


How many players are you talking about? In a 6-player, choosing between Assyria, Asia, Italy/Illyria, and Crete, I'd pick Assyria (lest Babylon run away with the game).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.