Hide
3 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Remora + Wild: Mind Interraction Loop rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mrbauble mrabuble
msg tools
This strange scenario happened last night. Instead of dealing with it our group let it happen once and both players just ended it there, thankfully. If this is all correct, I think we'll probably house rule it that Wild:Mind just LOOKS at the card as they go to Remora's hand, and the RULES AS WRITTEN stickler of the group will just have to deal with it.

Situation:
Remora is going to draw a new hand.

An opponent plays Wild:Mind on this. Assume both opponents want the following to happen, so the optional portion of both Wild:Mind and Remora will be triggered each time.

When Remora draws his 8 cards, they all are drawn by the Wild:Mind player. This will trigger Remora's 'draw when another player draws' affect. But Wild:Mind will draw this new single card too, triggering Remora's 'draw when another player draws' affect again. Repeat ad infinitum until a cosmic quake happens.

BUT the Wild:Mind would be in effect even though the player now no longer has it in their hand as it states it works for the entirety of the encounter.

Therefore even though the quake happens, all players draw new cards, triggering this loop again.

If this was the case, the two players could continue this loop until one player ends the loop (probably when happy with their hand they drew), making all players draw and discard hands repeatedly, and pass on their optional powers or until a cosmic zap is played on Remora. (Card zap wouldn't work as Wild:Mind has already resolved)

Are these assumptions correct? Is this what would actually happen?

Some reminder text of the errata'd Remora and Wild:Mind text from the cosmodex
Quote:
Remora: Gets Cards or Ships with Others (Y) You have the power to Cling. Whenever another player retrieves one or more ships from the warp, you may use this power to retrieve one of your ships from the warp as well. You may not use your power to retrieve a ship {from the warp} during the same encounter in which it went to the warp.

Whenever another player draws one or more cards from the deck, you may use this power to draw one card from the deck as well.

Quote:
Wild:Mind When another player draws a card from the deck, you may use this flare. For the rest of this encounter, each time that player must draw a card from the deck, you may draw it instead, look at it, and then give it to him or her. You may not share this information with the other players.
(As Any Player) (Any Phase)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would interpret that the Wild Mind does not trigger the Remora. The Wild Mind should be interpreted this way:

When another player draws a card from the deck, you may use this flare. For the rest of this encounter, each time that player must draw a card from the deck, you may draw it instead, look at it, and then give it to him or her. You may not share this information with the other players.

In effect, the Wild Mind player isn't really *drawing* any cards, he's just looking at them as they are drawn. "Drawing a card" usually specifically refers to drawing a card and adding it to your hand.

Depending on how you interpret it, the Wild Mind could be played when the Chosen uses his power, or the Bandit, or the Phantasm, or possibly other powers. I say that it shouldn't apply in these cases - that "drawing" specifically means "drawing to ones hand".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I would interpret that the Wild Mind does not trigger the Remora. The Wild Mind should be interpreted this way:

When another player draws a card from the deck, you may use this flare. For the rest of this encounter, each time that player must draw a card from the deck, you may draw it instead, look at it, and then give it to him or her. You may not share this information with the other players.

In effect, the Wild Mind player isn't really *drawing* any cards, he's just looking at them as they are drawn. "Drawing a card" usually specifically refers to drawing a card and adding it to your hand.

Depending on how you interpret it, the Wild Mind could be played when the Chosen uses his power, or the Bandit, or the Phantasm, or possibly other powers. I say that it shouldn't apply in these cases - that "drawing" specifically means "drawing to ones hand".

I agree with this and would rule the same way in any of my games.

The use of the Mind Flare (Wild section) allows the player to see each and every card that is drawn by another player. I think that this interpretation fits very well with the flavor of the Mind power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.