Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Werewolf: The Thing Redux – GAME STATUS

Game starts TUESDAY September 5 at 8 am BGG

Cassandra: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1176...

Werewolf: The Thing Redux -- Rules

Based on the John Carpenter movie, with some elements borrowed from the original Christian Nyby/Howard Hawks version, too. Don’t go expressly by what happens in either movie—I've tried to shake things up a bit, hopefully without affecting the flavor and atmosphere of Carpenter’s classic.

The game thread will be rated R for strong language and brutal, outlandish, gooey, king-crab-legged violence.

Setting

Antartica. Winter, 1982

United States National Science Institute Station 4, also known as Outpost 31

“First goddamn week of winter…”

This variation of Werewolf will feature a battle between the human station personnel and an unseen threat in the form of a shape-changing alien menace, thawed from a ten-thousand-year-old block of ice. A deadly menace that hides in human guise. Who goes there!

Cassandra

We will be using Cassandra protocols for voting, etc. If you have not signed up via Cassandra (http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1176...), please to so now. Cassandra protocols will follow in a separate post.

Game Start and Schedule

I am in Texas, so we will be using Central Standard Time (BGG Time). This game will start on Tuesday, September 6th at 8 am Central Standard Time. It will start with a day round. We will break on the weekends so people can have some semblance of RL over the weekend. Seer –type roles will get a random, “non-hit” N0 view.

We will break for weekends, although discussion and voting may be done by those who wish to.

Days & Nights

Lynch time is 5:00 pm BGG.

Night orders must be submitted via PM to the moderator by 6:00 pm BGG. Orders will be resolved as quickly as possible after that.

Any posts or PMs time-stamped after the deadline times will be ignored. If the Things fail to message me, there will be NO kill or infection that night. If players with night action abilities do not use them by 6:00 pm their ability will not function that night.

The new day will start as soon as I get all night orders and can resolve them. I will post a DAYBREAK post to let everyone know it’s morning.

Night actions

Night actions take place in the following order:

Wide Awake
Protector
Things
Witness
Experimental serum, if used
Doctor
Transformation roll for infected humans
Blood tester
Prognosticator
Intuitive
Hypnotist

Players may not delete posts or parts of posts. Posts may be slightly edited to correct typos or other minor errors, but an edit notification explaining the edit must be added to the bottom of the post.

Dead folks: you may post one brief farewell post if you wish, bracketed by zombie icons after you die. No signaling, harassment, etc. Aside from this there will be no posting allowed after you are dead. I will not reveal roles or any other game info to the dead.

PMs

Things can PM each other.
Infected humans are NOT to PM other players.

The Lovers may PM each other.

Anyone can PM the moderator at any time.
All PMs sent must CC the moderator.

No other PMs allowed, unless otherwise approved by the moderator.

Votes

Vote formatting will be according to Cassandra protocols.. You may not edit vote posts.

Votes with timestamps after the deadline will not be counted.

Ties will be broken by a simple coin flip by the moderator. This is to avoid timestamp issues that affected the endgame of the previous Thing game.

Absences

Any human missing a vote will considered to have abstained.

Bloodtester not PMing who he is testing – no test results that night.

Things not posting their night orders will considered to have abstained.

Any player missing more than one full day/night cycle without posting will be replaced. If a replacement player cannot be located, the moderator reserves the right to remove the player from the game and his role will be revealed at the start of the next phase.

Role Revelation

Roles start out secret, but will be revealed by the mod upon the death of a character.

You may reveal your role, if desired, but there is no guarantee that you are telling the truth (or if the role is even in the game).

I do not want players to do an “all-reveal,” however, as I think it spoils the game. Players who suggest or participate in an all-reveal plan will suffer an unfortunate lab accident and the less said about that, the better. But it’s bad…

Role Selection

This is entirely random

Players

1) jaredh
2) Beowulf
3) janiera
4) le_cygne
5) jmilum
6) slyde
7) shugyosha
8) Rukasu
9) Lauramath
10) Freyja
11) kuchik
12) SatanicEssence
13) grimjester
14) xandryyte
15) Scotty Bomb
16) greek2me
17) xlorp
18) Ron Stuckel
19) SecretSauce
20) buffalospynovel
21) rasattack
22) Royalflush
23) Ludesfactor
24) CapAp
25) Wiz8mom
26) Esuh
27) Genghis

Alternates:
arkibet
kimapesan

Roles & Abilities

Some players will get a role from the movie listed below with a special ability. Not every role has special abilities. Non-special “vanillager” roles are interns at the facility. One or two special roles may be “ringers” meaning they may not be in the game but are there to make you nervous.

Special abilities are listed below.

6 people will start out as Things and one person will be MacReady (this game’s version of the seer). The Things are randomly assigned, so don’t assume the guys who were Things in the movie will be Things in this game. If a role with a special ability starts out as a Thing, well, you can’t count on that ability for this game. 4 of the starting Things will have a secret special ability.

The roles (with abilities listed in blue) are:

17 staff:

MacReady (helicopter pilot) Blood-tester
Dr. Blair (Senior biologist/vet tech) Prognosticator7
Palmer (mechanic/backup pilot) Intuitive
Childs (mechanic) Tough guy
Dr. Copper (medical doctor) Doctor
Norris (geologist) Hypnotist
Bennings (meteorologist) Experimental serum
Clark (dog handler) Knife escape
Captain Garry (station captain) Protector
Fuchs (biologist/botanist) Backup blood tester
Windows (radio operator) Wide Awake
Nauls (cook) Witness
Dr. Carrington (biologist) Misguided scientist
Dr. Nikki Spencer (psychologist) Persuader
Twitchy Norwegian (survivor from Norwegian camp) Secret special power
Dr. Stern and Dr. Chapman: these two players will be Lovers

Plus 10 interns

Total: 27 players, of which 6 will be Things

Special Role Abilities

Blood tester – this is the seer in this game. Each night Mac may secretly choose one person and examine a sample of his or her blood. If the person is a Thing Mac will know it. There may be more than one Blood tester in the game. The Backup blood tester (Fuchs) becomes the blood tester if MacReady is killed or transforms into a Thing.

Infected humans do not show up as Things on the blood test until they reach a 55% chance to become a Thing.

On day four or any time thereafter, the Blood tester may call for a public blood test: this replicates the scene in the movie where everyone is in the same room doing the blood test. When declared, the public blood test takes the place of the next day’s lynching. There will only be one public blood test per game.

The public blood test will definitely reveal the identity of one Thing, but the downside is, the Thing becomes enraged and attacks and will kill one of the humans before it can be lynched. Both the Thing and its victim will be dead after the results of the blood test are revealed. The identity of the revealed Thing is determined randomly. The Blood tester must PM me that he wishes to run the public blood test as a night order the night before.

Prognosticator - Blair has a computer squirreled away where only he can find it. Each night Blair can compute, with a +/- 1 margin of error, how many Things there are in the station. Blair cannot determine how many infected humans there are.

Intuitive – Don’t harsh Palmer’s buzz—each night he can go into a weed-induced trance and examine one player to see if he or she is infected. If the person he chooses is a full-fledged Thing, or is not infected, nothing registers for him.

Tough guy – Childs don’t believe this voodoo bullshit and he is sure as hell takin’ a Thing down with him if he is attacked. If the Things attempt to kill or infect Childs he will kill one of them before he dies or is infected. If Childs is infected, he will remember only the identity of the Thing he killed.

Doctor – Dr. Copper can attempt to save one person each night. If that person is attacked by the Things, Copper has a 50% chance of saving that person (if targeted for a kill) or stopping the infection (if targeted for infection). The person Copper saves WILL NOT have voting rights the next day due to their need to recover, but may debate. If Copper does not stop the infection, he will still think he did. An infected player will only learn he was targeted by Copper if the infection is stopped. Dr. Copper may use his power to save himself, if desired.

Wide Awake – Windows has to stay awake as much as possible to send out the Mayday signals from the radio. One side effect of this (besides lack of sleep) is that he interferes with the stealthy movement of the Things. Once per game the Windows player may submit a night order that prevents any Kill or Infection by the Things that night. The result of Window’s action will be listed as NO KILL..

Experimental serum – Once the crisis began, Bennings discovered a syringe filled with an oily black fluid, along with some notes by Blair about the experimental serum. Once per game, Bennings may send a night order to the mod announcing he is injecting a player. If injected into a Thing, the serum will kill it. If injected into an infected human, the serum will stop the infection. Unfortunately, if injected into a regular human, that human is then considered to be infected.

Knife escape – Clark has a pocketknife that no one knows about. When attacked by Things or lynched, Clark fights back with the knife and manages to escape. Must be targeted again later on. This ability only works once.

Protector – Captain Garry, while gruff, wants to protect his people. Once during the game he can declare a specific number of players "safe" from the Things’ kill/infection that night. The number of players he can protect starts at one on day one and increases with each day that passes--for instance, on day four he can protect four players, and so on (this is the delayed bodyguard ability from some of the other games).

Hypnotist – Norris is an amateur hypnotist, and as such he may pick one player publicly known to be infected, and hypnotize that person in an effort to determine the identity of one of the Things. He has a 50% chance of success. Unfortunately, if he fails, the infected person will have a false memory that a non-Thing was the one who attacked him.

Witness – Nauls is a rollerskatin’ sumbitch, but he has a good eye. Each night he will choose a person to observe. If the Things target that person, Nauls will see the attack and determine the identity of one of the Things. If the Things do not target that person, then Nauls obviously sees nothing. Once Nauls views an attack, his ability is used up and cannot be used again.

Misguided scientist – Dr. Carrington means well, but lack of sleep and overwork during the crisis has warped his mind. He considers the Things to be superior life-forms, to be protected from the humans. He wins if the Things win. Dr. Carrington knows who the Things are but they don’t know who he is.

Persuader – As a psychologist, Dr. Nikki Spencer understands people and can affect their motivations. Through the power of persuasion, Nikki can alter the outcome of one lynch. Once per game, the Nikki player may PM the moderator and shift the lynch result to one of the other lynch candidates in the queue, or cause a “NO LYNCH” result, as desired.

Twitchy Norwegian – Also known to MacReady as “Hey Swede!” This is the sole human survivor from the Norwegian camp. The person who is the Twitchy Norwegian will not know it and his/her special ability is known only to the moderator.

Lovers – Dr. Stern and Dr. Chapman are lab supervisors who happen to be classic lovers from WW. They have PM rights and win a special victory at the end of the game if they are both A) alive and B) are both human, both infected or both Things.

The Things

There are six Things to start with and four of them have a secret special ability. Those players who become Things during the game will not gain any special ability, but they will lose whatever special ability they had as a human. Upon becoming Things, they will learn the identity of the other Things and be able to PM them.

Each night the Things may choose to Kill or Infect one player. A kill is treated like any kill in a Werewolf game. A majority of Things must agree on which player will be attacked and whether it will be a kill or an infection.

Infection: If the Things choose to infect, then the player they choose has been infused with Thing cells and will begin to transform into a Thing. A byproduct of infection is a sort of amnesia that prevents the player from remembering the Things who infected him. The player will know he is infected, however. Upon initial infection there is a 20% chance that the player will immediately become a Thing. If not, then the next day, at nightfall, the player has an additional 5% chance (25%) and so on each day until he or she turns into a Thing. Infected humans win if the humans win, but once they transform into a Thing they win if the Things win. If a human is infected, a NO KILL notification will be sent at daybreak.

Infected humans show up as human to the blood tester unless they are up to a 55% chance or higher. Infected humans are known to the Things. The Things are not known to them.

Being infected does not give you immunity from the Things—they can still target you for a kill if they decide you are too much of a threat.

Mod messages

Game result messages (lynchings, killings, descriptions) in blue

Moderator rulings or responses to questions in red -- be sure to ask mod questions in red, as well.

Victory

Humans (including infected humans) win if all the Things are eliminated.

Things win when their number reaches equilibrium/parity with the number of humans and infected humans.

That’s it. These rules are subject to modification until the start of the game—feedback is encouraged and appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: THE THING Redux -- sign up for September 1 start
This space reserved for announcements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signups

Signups are open to all, but priority will be given to players who were in the original game:

1) jaredh
2) Beowulf
3) janiera
4) le_cygne
5) jmilum
6) slyde
7) shugyosha
8) Rukasu
9) Lauramath
10) Freyja
11) kuchik
12) SatanicEssence
13) grimjester
14) xandryyte
15) Scotty Bomb
16) greek2me
17) xlorp
18) Ron Stuckel
19) SecretSauce
20) buffalospynovel
21) rasattack
22) Royalflush
23) Ludesfactor
24) CapAp
25) Wiz8mom
26) Esuh
27) Genghis

Alternates:
arkibet
kimapesan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is."

Definitely in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
houndsoftindalos wrote:
Signups

20) open slot

Well, I'm in as long as this jerk drops out. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
houndsoftindalos wrote:
Signups

20) open slot

le_cygne, I'm waiting to hear back in PM from someone about the open spot. You will get it if this person declines.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, hounds, I just can't resist an opportunity to make a really bad joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
houndsoftindalos wrote:
Signups

20) open slot

im with you! this guy signs up for almost every game, and right as the game starts he suddenly dissapears! Jerk!

p.s. i'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.” ― Tom Robbins
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely there is room on that list somewhere for my name. kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'll keep my head firmly on my shoulders this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll happily play if a spot opens up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Beowulf
buffalospynovel
CapAp
dmkay
Esuh
Freyja
Genghis
greek2me
GrimJester
Janiera
jaredh
jmilum
kuchick
Lauramath
le_cygne
LudesFactor
Ron Stuckel
RoyalFlush
Rukasu
satanicEssence
Scotty_Bomb
SecretSauce
Shugyosha
slyde
wiz8mom
Xandryyte
xlorp

27 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1247...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jared, wanna play again?! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I was wrongly killed in the first game of this...

Just keep your distance and I'm a happy man, you GOT that people?!

(I'm in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: THE THING Redux -- sign up for September 5 start
Jaredh pointed out that I'm starting my game over the Labor Day weekend, so I have changed the start date to Tuesday, September 5 (3 days before my birthday!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sure! if there's room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play if there's room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better get on the new sign-up list pretty quick....

Sign me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd like in if possible ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
What do the fashion-conscious scientists wear in Antarctica? The very latest in gooey tentacles, pincers, disjointed heads and an air of injured innocence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to go at this one, though I doubt the spots will remain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlorp wrote:
What do the fashion-conscious scientists wear in Antarctica? The very latest in gooey tentacles, pincers, disjointed heads and an air of injured innocence.

Actually, pincers have never been very fasionable. Always a little too "Hey look at me, I'm wearing pincers", if you know what I mean. I've heard anything "warm and fuzzy" works fantastic though. Preferably white with a fuzzy rimmed hood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.” ― Tom Robbins
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:
xlorp wrote:

Actually, pincers have never been very fasionable. Always a little too "Hey look at me, I'm wearing pincers", if you know what I mean. I've heard anything "warm and fuzzy" works fantastic though. Preferably white with a fuzzy rimmed hood.

yes, and find TWO fashion-conscious scientists in Antarctica with pincers and it's always "hmm, I bet my pincers are bigger than his pincers... but it's not very polite to look." Pincers are so passe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
I'd like to go at this one, though I doubt the spots will remain.

Well three original players have declined already, and it might be four--I don't think rellekmr is active here any more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.