Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone
I just got this game a week ago and already bought a second set and a few expansions! The game is great and I picked it up fast thanks to all the online videos and the great FAQ FFG has. Anyways two cards are still bugging me. First is dark curse! The way the card reads is simple I can't use a focus token to change my dice or reroll as attacker, easy. But the FAQ also says this
"Dark Curse cannot be the target of a secondary weapon attack that requires the attacker to spend a focus token."
Is this saying that his ability also affects secondary weapons too?

Second card is ION CANNON. How does this card work? It doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on the focus. You can never use a focus in any way to modify attacks (or attack if focus is required) dark curse. This is primarily for the blaster turret which requires a focus to be spent in order to attack.

An ion token (or two on a large ship) make it so the next activation phase that ship doesn't get a maneuver dial. On its turn it moves a white 1 straight. You then discard all ion tokens. That means if the ship is stressed it will not unstress even if the ship normally has a green straight 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand how the ion token works but how the ion cannon attacks confuses me. And thanks for the quick response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To understand Ion Cannons you need to understand what the term "Hit" means.

A "Hit" is what happens when, after all dice a rolled, tokens used, funky stuff invoked, there are more explosions and/or hollow explosions than there are squiggly lines. That is the only meaning "hit" has.

With a normal attack, one then inflicts damage based on each uncancelled explosion or hollow explosion.

With an Ion Cannon, one inflicts a SINGLE point of damage, and an Ion Token. Any unused explosion/hollow explosion symbols do nothing.

Make more sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so we still roll attack dice and defense dice but the ion cannon only does one damage no matter what the other dice say. But for the ion cannon to do that one damage you must have at least one attack still go through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, for an Ion Turret shot, just attack like you would for any other weapon. If the attack would result in the defender taking damage, only deal 1 regular damage and give them that ion token. Pretty simple, just a lot of extra words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I get it now. I was over thinking it. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Cronje
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still find the Dark Curse FAQ ruling an abomination. In order for his effect to kick in, the other ship must already be "attacking" him, so how could his ability prevent the blaster turret from attacking him at all? In order for the ship with the blaster turret to be "attacking" Dark Curse, he has to have ALREADY spent the focus token yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Rubi wrote:
I still find the Dark Curse FAQ ruling an abomination. In order for his effect to kick in, the other ship must already be "attacking" him, so how could his ability prevent the blaster turret from attacking him at all? In order for the ship with the blaster turret to be "attacking" Dark Curse, he has to have ALREADY spent the focus token yuk

I think the reasoning is, as an attacker, you declare your target first, then decide to use your primary or secondary weapons. So after the attacker declares Curse as his target, Curse's ability kicks in then. They could still use a primary attack or non-Target Lock/Focus secondary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
webslinger9 wrote:
Darth Rubi wrote:

I think the reasoning is, as an attacker, you declare your target first, then decide to use your primary or secondary weapons. So after the attacker declares Curse as his target, Curse's ability kicks in then. They could still use a primary attack or non-Target Lock/Focus secondary.

You can also use a Target Lock secondary; e.g. Concussion Missile, etc. you just can't spend Focus tokens or reroll dice. Oh, and you can't launch a missile via Deadeye...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darth Rubi wrote:

Actually it makes perfect sense, it's possible you're not paying close attention to the order of events in an attack:
1) you declare dark curse as your target.
2) you decide to fire your blaster turret.
3) you spend a focus to fire your blaster turret -- but wait! You can't spend focus tokens at all if dark curse is the target of your attack. Oh, I guess I can't fire my blaster turret then....

Make more sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:

Actually it makes perfect sense, it's possible you're not paying close attention to the order of events in an attack:
3) you spend a focus to fire your blaster turret -- but wait! You can't spend focus tokens at all if dark curse is the target of your attack. Oh, I guess I can't fire my blaster turret then....

Make more sense?

No, because that's not the order of events. Dark Curse's ability as interpreted in the FAQ makes absolutely zero sense by the order of attack operations. It makes so little sense that X-Wing players have been shrugged at by FFG and effectively told, "Just pretend it works."

It's a terrible ruling, and I say that as a huge fan of Dark Curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're talking about Blaster Turrets and Dark Curse I recently thought of a list running 3 HWKs with Blaster turrets... and then I remember Dark Curse and Jax and though oh well never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:

Make more sense?

No, because that's not the order of events. Dark Curse's ability as interpreted in the FAQ makes absolutely zero sense by the order of attack operations. It makes so little sense that X-Wing players have been shrugged at by FFG and effectively told, "Just pretend it works."

Actually, it is precisely the order of events as defined in the rule book. Target Selection is Step 1. Dark Curse becomes the defender once he is selected as the target. Secondary Weapon selection occurs in Step 2.

The Dark Curse ruling is perfectly correct by the book. Turret upgrades, however, don't work as printed in the rule book. That's what gets the handwaving, not DC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you creed!

Jeff I suggest you go reread the basic rules - here is an exact quote from the rules:

1. Declare Target: The attacker chooses which enemy ship he wishes to attack.
2. roll attack Dice: The attacker rolls a number of attack dice equal to his ship’s primary weapon value (red number), unless using a secondary weapon (see “Secondary Weapons” on page 19)

See how step number 2 is deciding what weapon to use? Dark curse is already your target at this point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, fair enough, you're right. It's turrets that don't work right, by order of operations, leading to a terrible Dark Curse ruling. I got my cause/effect twisted up.

"Selection" of weapon, including (for the Blaster Turret) spending of focus, needs to come before selection of target. Basically, the turret is activated by spending a focus, Dark Curse is chosen as a target, and then the turret targeting futzes (because you can't spend a focus to modify dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.