Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The Agents» Forums » General

Subject: Are Updated Rules/First Edition Expansion Rules Available From Somewhere? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked this game up in trade and am interested in getting rules for the expansions that were included in the box. Each deck box says "Expanion Rules: playtheagents.com", but there seems to be no file section on the website.

I also have heard and seen on this board that there are updated rules. Are those rules available somewhere to people who aren't participating in the 2nd kickstarter? I'd like to get an official file released by the designer/publisher, if possible.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clévy
France
Strasbourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules for second edition (mark II) are here

Rules for expansions are here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Expansion FAQs that used to be on the website.

Special Agents FAQs

- Forger: The command of this card lets you apply the condition of any assigned Mission in the game (yours or another player’s) to receive that Mission’s bonus IPs according to the fulfillment of that condition.
- Ghost: This Agent is dead on both sides (or is it…?!) Playing it from your hand, you can place it at the end of any of your Factions or between two other Agents. All the rules that apply to dead agents also apply to The Ghost (e.g. it cannot be killed again).
- Jack of all Trades: The Jack is like a joker, you can use it as if it had another command. That other command must be in your other faction and must be facing you.
- Master of Disguise: You must reveal your hand in order to perform the command. Once you do, if you have a Faction Agent in your hand, you can then use the Master as if it had that command.
- Rogue: If you have unfulfilled Missions assigned to your Factions, this is the best time to use The Rogue. You receive as many IPs as the numbers in their data-tokens. This includes the numbers in Missions that are fulfilled “EVERY TIME”. However, if no IPs can be received this way, The Rogue cannot be played.
- Sleeper: This powerful Agent can be played at any time (even when it’s not your turn) and it doesn’t use up an action to play. When the command is played facing you, you can, at any time during this turn (whether it’s your turn or another player’s), say the name of another Agent card. This will prevent the opposite player from using that card this turn. If the opposite player was in the middle of using it, the action is reversed but the opposite player doesn’t lose an action.
- Tracker: Performing the command – you can select any Agent card you want from the Agents deck by looking through it and picking one up. Just remember to reshuffle the deck after you do that.

Mission:Critical FAQs

- Clandestine: This Mission does not have a condition! If it is assigned to any of your Factions when the game ends – you receive a bonus of 6 IPs. Simple as that.
- Disinformation: When a player performs an action that influences the Faction to which this Mission is assigned, and at the end of that action there are fewer completed data-tokens, you receive 1 IP for each 1 less completed data-token in that Faction after the action was performed.
- The Switch: If you have a pair of Agents facing away from each other (i.e. two adjacent Agents, one facing you and one facing away from you) in each of your Factions – you get the bonus IPs.
- The Take: You get the bonus IPs in case all the completed data-tokens that are facing you (in both your Factions) have the same color (i.e. black OR white). If you have completed data-tokens with different colors (or data-tokens with halves of different colors), you don’t get the bonus. Also, you don’t get the bonus if you have no completed data-tokens facing you.
- The Witness: Whenever a command is reactivated in any of your factions, either by you or by another player, you get 1 IP (even if it’s not your turn).
Black Ops FAQs
- For Gun to the Head: When something that you do causes the opposite player to do something to their other Faction, you receive the bonus IPs.
- Surveillance: Count the number of Missions the opposite player has assigned to their Factions. You receive that many bonus IPs.

Secret Agents FAQs

The Secret Agents expansion includes:
1. Additional cards of The Interrogator and The Recruiter, from the base-set.
2. A new Free Agent – The Gambler. Its command lets you reveal the opposite player’s hand (to all players!) and choose an Agent card that has a number listed inside a data-token. You immediately receive as many IPs as that number. However, if there are no Agent cards with a number listed inside a data-token, you receive nothing (but the opposite player still receives the IPs from The Gambler). After this command is performed and the IPs collected, The Gambler is retired and the opposite player hides their hand once more.
3. Secret Agents – In this expansion there are Agent cards with a camouflage border. These are the Secret Agents. You cannot play them. You only keep them in your hand – they reward their owner IPs at the end of the game, according to their condition (the text at the bottom of these cards is not a command, it is the condition for collecting IPs at the end of the game). There’s one exception which is The Closer (see below).

- For The Hazard and The Marauder, if both your factions are of the same length then either one can be regarded as the “shortest” and the “longest”.
- With The Gambler, you get to reveal another player’s hand (any one player of your choice). Then, if that player has any Agents (from any expansion) with completed data-tokens that list a number of IPs, you get that many IPs. If there are no Agents like that – you get none.
- The Closer: This Agent is a Faction agent which you can play to your Factions. The player towards whom the completed black and white data-token (the one with the arrow at the top of the card) receives 1 IP each turn, as long as its facing them (just like any other completed data-token). The text on the other side of the card is not a command (it CANNOT be activated or reactivated). It is a condition which applies to the player towards whom the text is facing, rewarding them with 4 IPs at the end of the game.

Partners FAQs

Partner Agents are greenish and do not include data-tokens. They give you special benefits (as stated in the text at the bottom of each card) when you partner them with a Faction Agent. Partnering a Partner Agent with a Faction Agent is similar to assigning a Mission to a Faction – you simply place the Partner on your side of a faction and next to the Faction Agent. Now that Faction Agent is considered the “Partnered Agent” for the purpose of interpreting the benefit of the Partner.
1. Partnering Agents can only be performed at the end of your turn. You can just as well remove a Partner Agent back to your hand, similarly to a Mission. Also similarly, this does not use up an action.
2. You cannot partner more than 1 Partner Agent to the same Faction Agent (however, the opposite player can partner their own Partner Agent to that same Faction Agent).
3. Partner Agents cannot be killed, turned, extracted or swapped, or in any way manipulated in the same way that Faction Agents can. They are also not included when counting the number of Agents in a Faction.
4. A “Partnered Agent” (i.e. a Faction Agent to which a Partner Agent has been partnered) can be killed, turned, extracted or swapped (unless the Partner Agent is The Bodyguard!). When extracted, the Partner Agent that remains on the table is returned to their owner’s hand. When swapped, the Partner Agent is then partnered to the Agent who takes the place of the swapped “Partnered Agent”.

Commanders FAQs

The Commander Agents are cards that are given to players before the game begins. Each Commander bestows a special benefit to the player who owns it, and each benefit lasts throughout the game.
1. In one mode of play, the player whose turn is last is the first to choose any one of the Commander Agents and the player who starts the game is the last to choose a Commander. Each player can only have one Commander Agent.
2. In another mode of play, the Commander cards are shuffled and each player chooses only one at random. That Commander is theirs for the duration of the game.

- Commander Swipe: When you want another Agent card, you can pay 1 IP (to the bank, just as you would when buying) and steal an Agent card from any other player’s hand (instead of picking it up from the Agents deck).
- Commander Mettle: So you get to play 1 extra action each turn, but when you reach 20 or more IPs, you’re not allowed to do that anymore.

Break the Rules

As an experience Agent, you may want to Break the Rules. Here are rule variations which you can try out and see if you like the game better that way:

Agents

- The top Agent on the Agents retirement pile is considered a “Revealed Agents” and is available for a price of 2 IPs.
- Similarly, retired Agents are not piled on a Agents retirement pile, but rather are spread out face up in a purchase zone wherein each one is considered a “Revealed Agent”.
- Just like with trading in Missions, any number of Agent cards can be traded in (using up one action).
- At the beginning of the game, after the Agents deck is shuffled, 6 Agent cards are drawn and layed face up in a row next to the deck. Each of these Agents is considered a “Revealed Agent” and is available for purchase for 2 IPs. When a “Revealed Agent” is bought, another one is drawn from the Agents deck.
Note that it is possible to play so that Agents from the Agents deck (i.e. Agents that are not “Revealed”) can still be purchased for 1 IPs.

Commands & Abilities

- You can always pay to perform one of the basic 4 abilities (TURN, EXTRACT, KILL, MOVE), at the price of 4 IPs.
- When a Faction Agent card is played, the command isn’t automatically performed (i.e. there’s no activation, only reactivation).
- Ignore the limitations in the commands and perform the ability however you like (i.e. TURN, EXTRACT, KILL and MOVE can always be performed in EITHER of your factions).

Missions

- At the beginning of the game, after the Missions deck is shuffled, 6 Mission cards are drawn and layed face up in a row next to the deck. Each of these Missions is considered a “Revealed Mission” and is available for purchase for 4 IPs. When a “Revealed Mission” is bought, another one is drawn from the Missions deck.
Note that it is possible to play so that Missions from the Missions deck (i.e. Missions that are not “Revealed”) can still be purchased for 3 IPs.
- Only 3 Missions can be assigned to each Faction from both sides. This limit applies to both players sharing that Faction. So, for example, if one player has 2 Missions assigned from their side of the Faction, the opposite player cannot assign more than 1 Mission to that Faction.
- The top Mission on the Missions retirement pile is considered a “Revealed Mission” and is available for a price of 4 IPs.
- Similarly, retired Missions are not piled on a Missions retirement pile, but rather are spread out face up in a purchase zone wherein each one is considered a “Revealed Mission”.
- Buying a Mission costs 2 IPs, whereas buying a “Revealed Mission” costs 3 IPs.
- Missions reward both players sharing the Faction they are assigned to.
- At the beginning of the game, each player is dealt 4 Missions. However, Missions cannot be bought or traded in.

- Points are kept hidden from other players.
- non-matching = 0 IPs, matching = 1 IP (optional: can be played up to 30 IPs, instead of 40 IPs).
- Play up to 50 IPs (instead of 40 IPs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Saar: Will these FAQ's and the download find their way to the website again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saar Shai
United States
BRONX
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be uploading the new rules soon. I will try to have a secret section for Mark I rules as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant download the second version ! the browser does not allow it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler W
United States
Conroe
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheAgents wrote:
I'm going to be uploading the new rules soon. I will try to have a secret section for Mark I rules as well!

Did the print-version rule book ever make it to the website? I can't seem to find it.

I dug through my backer emails, but the last rulebook I could find was the one asking for backer input - is that the final version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Melisik
Slovakia
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyes wrote:
TheAgents wrote:

Did the print-version rule book ever make it to the website? I can't seem to find it.

I dug through my backer emails, but the last rulebook I could find was the one asking for backer input - is that the final version?

I am not able to find the rules too, and not just on the website.
And I think my google-fu is on pretty high level. The only one I found seems to be the same as the one you did (work in progress from July last year). But I am afraid it is not the last version as the setup rule seems to be different from the one mentioned on these forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.