Subject: Download collection doesn't work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
When I use DOWNLOAD BOARD GAMES (All) to try to get a CSV sheet of every game in my collection, I inevitably get a "Oops, something went wrong - try again later" message. Downloading (OWNED) works fine, but no love for the full collection list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my troubles with the download too (probably because of the size), until someone showed me the XMLAPI ...

Try this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi2/collection?username=rah...

You should be able to import XML data into programs like Excel without any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the XMLAPI2 schema includes far fewer game attributes than the CSV download, doesn't it? I find that there are some important attributes missing in the CSV, so the XMLAPI2 would be pretty much useless for my purposes (and I'm not doing anything ultra funky)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it was handing to get the full list via that XML thing, but I was surprised to find it didn't include my actual ratings for games, which severely limited its usefulness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see - I wasn't aware of that as I always add the parameter "own=1" ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While on the original topic of the normal CSV thing not working, I guess I should add that's it's really annoying that when it does work, there's not a field output to define where a title is a full game or an expansion. This would make it MUCH more usable as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
While on the original topic of the normal CSV thing not working, I guess I should add that's it's really annoying that when it does work, there's not a field output to define where a title is a full game or an expansion. This would make it MUCH more usable as well!
Couldn't agree more. That is one of the missing attributes to which I alluded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Couldn't agree more. That is one of the missing attributes to which I alluded.

Agreedx2. I have to use the private comment field to flag an entry as an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ross
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rahdo, try /xmlapi2/collection?username=rahdo&stats=1

This should give you your rating as well, but the resulting file is harder to parse easily with Excel.

You can tease the API to give you everything and more that you can get out of the CSV file (like expansions, accessories etc.), but some things require you to get creative. I haven't looked back since I switched. Unfortunately my work is nowhere near shareable.

Edit:
Depending on what you want to do, appending brief=1 might produce better results.

/xmlapi2/collection?username=rahdo&stats=1&brief=1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the BGG to Nandeck app -- that gives me *everything* ... even stuff I can't get from BGG, directly.

I can't rave about it enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
It's a known issue that I've been working on in my spare time. You can try what others have suggested here, until I can get a better solution implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Halaska
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools

I'd love it if the CSV file & the XML could provide the same things. In particular, I'd really like it if the CSV file would contain all the version information. That would provide the publisher and year among other important (to me!) details which are missing.

Thanks for working on your "better solution" Aldie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the CSV exports work for me....

The Nandeck tool does not appear to export the 'Private Info' data !?!

This is very important to me, as I am going through a game re-iventory & reorganisation process, I store the game location in the 'Comments' Field of the 'Private Info'; so I would really like to be able to export my collection and determine which games I have not found yet...

..First World Problems !

cheers
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Send the Nandeck developer a GM with the request -- if it's possible (meaning, if the program can reach those fields) -- they've been incredibly responsive with adding features nearly instantly ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I could download a CSV file (750 items worked, 1500 doesn't), it included the "Best with X players" column, but I haven't been able to get that with an XML download of my collection. Is there a parameter I can add for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.