Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this game last night, am on the fence about pulling the trigger. Was curious about what my title says?

If playing a scenario are you forced to use the units they tell you to? Or are you allowed to build your own forces as an option and then play the scenario as well? TIA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time through, the answer to that is, yes you should stick to it. But after that, feel free to do whatever you like.

There are also open scenario's where they are meant to be a fun battle royal of whatever units you wish to purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a short recap of what I perceived as balance issues: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14676478#14676478

Maybe take a look at that to help with your decision making process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
In reality, you can do what you want, really. The campaign/scenarios in the base game are designed to teach you the game. They start with very basic rules, and each scenario adds more of the rules tot hem. The units they give for those scenarios are ones that fit with whichever new rule is being introduced, easier aspects to the more difficult. But really its the rule you are learning, not a specific ability, so thats where using any unit should still fit. Just try to use the recommended points that they are at for each scenario.

When I play, it's just basic skirmish set up. Random tiles in random order, pick a side, and go from there. The campaign is cool and actually continues through the expansions and helps introduce the couple new aspects that are added.

Do you like fig-based miniature games? Because if you do, this will flow well. Fig based game without the figs, but it doesn't take away anything from the game as it's play is so damned good. Difficult decisions, excellent combat system, and over-all innovative game mechanics make this such a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks gents!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card management aspect really isn't covered in reviews so that was a nice surprise when reading the rules. To me it feels like you can definitely play around with some strategies as to how to deal with your hand, and I don't think there is a right answer yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.