Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Bo
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played ascension and liked it OK. After a few games I found it very repetitive and boring. Is dominion a deck builder like ascension? I'm not sure there would be a deck builder I would enjoy but everyone raves about dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
KBizzle wrote:
I played ascension and liked it OK. After a few games I found it very repetitive and boring. Is dominion a deck builder like ascension? I'm not sure there would be a deck builder I would enjoy but everyone raves about dominion.
Dominion isn't like anything else. All other deck builders are like Dominion.

If you thought Ascension was dull, you'll probably want to pull your own eyes out with dominion. Dominion is great though, just doesn't suit everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you should. Dominion is great. Sort of like Ascension, but there's four major differences:

1) Only special victory cards give you points, rather than everything you get. And, at least in the base game, the victory cards do nothing else and take up space in your deck, which means there is a big decision to make in when to start getting them.

2) There is only one currency.

3) The cards available for purchase are the same all game, rather than using the center row mechanic.

4) Unless the action cards you use say otherwise, you can only play one action per turn and buy one card per turn, which means there's a different kind of decision making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Dominion isn't like anything else. All other deck builders are like Dominion.

This.

Dominion may lack a theme, but it includes SO MANY different aspects of the deckbuilding genre that it's hard to find something that is vastly different than this tried-and-true staple. If you're familiar with deckbuilding already, I'd jump into Dominion: Intrigue as it adds more options and choices during play. It can be found fairly cheap and will give you a solid taste for the rest of the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a more varied and advanced version of Ascension, go with Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game if the theme interests you at all.

Dominion is good, and very expandable, but I feel like it's been overshadowed by Trains. Even though Dominion has the expansions to back it up, Trains is supposed to be getting some of its own later this year.

Both games tackle deck building in different ways. Personally I prefer the style of Ascension more, as your choices are more dynamic instead of having static choices to make throughout the game. For my money though, these are the two best deck builders I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Dominion is good, and very expandable, but I feel like it's been overshadowed by Trains. Even though Dominion has the expansions to back it up, Trains is supposed to be getting some of its own later this year.
I hear very little talk about Trains here. Having watched Tom Vasel say that once there are expansions, he'll bin Dominion in favor of it, but I can't see it. I've not played trains though TBH, but what I see about having to get rid of dirt all the time... really... dirt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waste is just cards that are useless to you, that you took because you wanted the benefit/score for playing another card. Like provinces you can keep the points for, but spend a turn trashing out of your deck later.

Star Realms is a deck-builder I am really enjoying currently. And it's $10-$15 in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I hear very little talk about Trains here. Having watched Tom Vasel say that once there are expansions, he'll bin Dominion in favor of it, but I can't see it. I've not played trains though TBH, but what I see about having to get rid of dirt all the time... really... dirt?

Yeah, I was skeptical at first, too, but you should really give it a try. The added dimension of the board doesn't feel intuitive at first, but now I can't imagine playing without it.

And, just to clarify, it's waste you're getting rid of, not dirt I actually like that it's in the game, because it serves as a catch-up mechanic. Every time you buy a card worth VPs (i.e. the province from Dominion), you have to take some waste along with it. It's a neat way to help bring out the theme of having a large train system that produces a lot of pollution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
If you want a more varied and advanced version of Ascension, go with Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game if the theme interests you at all.

I'll second Legendary.
If you want more of a direct confrontation deckbuilder, you can look into 3012.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Beaveridge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious about this game as well. My group has never played anything like this at all, either, but of the games I have introduced so far, themed seems to appeal best.

So I guess, as someone who never has played any of the deck building games yet...

(I think? I played a few hands of Netrunner, and enjoyed it, and will court my group later for it. I also played Magic once, and my sister had been into one of the Warcraft card games for a bit.)

...would Dominion be a good place to start?

I like themed games best so far too, by the way, but I foresee a future where the theme wears thin and may taint the game a bit once the current fad wears off.

Oh - I don't think I have posted on BoardGameGeek before now, either. Been lurking for a while, reading reviews, but haven't tried to say anything before today. I think. I have the memory of a squirrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Trains is a good place to start, it's a great game and easy to learn. There is a randomizer element, so you don't have the same game twice.

Arctic Scavengers is also a good deck builder to start with, there is player interaction (you skirmish for scarce resources, and there is a bluffing element) and it is also easy to learn without having to memorize a tion of icons or anything.

I like both games quite a lot.

Others are Core Worlds, Star Realms, Thunderstone ... there's a lot of them.

I want to add something about Magic the Gathering -- it's a great game, but can be a money sink. However, the recent pre-built Event Decks put out by Wizards are very good, don't require a lot of investment in cards, and can get you going immediately. You don't have to go crazy with Magic (yes, most people do but that's because it is fun) and still play a very well designed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is fairly light on theme. It's basically deck building in it's most basic form, with a slight theme of kingdom building. If you want a heavier theme, Legendary or some of Dominions other descendants would probably be preferable it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
georgetds wrote:
I am curious about this game as well. My group has never played anything like this at all, either, but of the games I have introduced so far, themed seems to appeal best.

So I guess, as someone who never has played any of the deck building games yet...

(I think? I played a few hands of Netrunner, and enjoyed it, and will court my group later for it. I also played Magic once, and my sister had been into one of the Warcraft card games for a bit.)

I like themed games best so far too, by the way, but I foresee a future where the theme wears thin and may taint the game a bit once the current fad wears off.

Oh - I don't think I have posted on BoardGameGeek before now, either. Been lurking for a while, reading reviews, but haven't tried to say anything before today. I think. I have the memory of a squirrel.

Looking at your contribution page, I can confirm that this is your first post Welcome to the no-longer-lurker crowd, Aaron!

Dominion is probably the best deck builder to start with - if you've played Netrunner and Magic, then the little bit of extra complexity Dominion has in comparison to Ascension and the Lord of the Rings deckbuilders will present zero problems to you.

Trains and Arctic Scavengers are also very good games, or so my 1-play experience with both suggests.

Core Worlds, on the other hand, I'd avoid. At least as your starting point in deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is very good and varied due to the number of decks and expansions (if you go that route). And the other suggestions are good choices as well. I'd like to add Thunderstone as another option. It's a little more complex than Dominion, and definitely longer to play.

I think with Ascension there's not necessarily a long-term strategy, as you can only buy cards from what's available on the board. And often, there's an obvious choice for what is best. With Dominion and Thunderstone, all cards are available for all players to purchase every turn (unless/until they run out). So you can form a strategy to try to get big money, more actions, attack cards, etc. This way, every game can be different, even if you use the same decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
georgetds wrote:

If thematic is what you're looking for, Dominion is probably not the best place to start. It is thematic in the sense that everything is Medieval-based, but most of the time you'll have to just go with what the cards say they do.

I'd check out Ascension: Deckbuilding Game if you want a simpler, more thematic deck builder. Most deck builders are fairly simple though, so you're probably better off finding a theme you like and going with it. Like I suggested above though, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game works very well if you like superheroes at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

Yeah, I was skeptical at first, too, but you should really give it a try. The added dimension of the board doesn't feel intuitive at first, but now I can't imagine playing without it.

And, just to clarify, it's waste you're getting rid of, not dirt I actually like that it's in the game, because it serves as a catch-up mechanic. Every time you buy a card worth VPs (i.e. the province from Dominion), you have to take some waste along with it. It's a neat way to help bring out the theme of having a large train system that produces a lot of pollution.

Trains is worth trying but I think it's a bit hyped especially in comparison to Dominion. It is more than Dominion and a great choice if you played Dominion and decide you want a bit more to it, but that's also it's biggest problem. Longer to play, longer to set up and longer to learn. The art and design doesn't help since the deckbuilding cards, which are beautiful, do not match the board's artwork. This makes combination of those two mechanisms oddly hard to grasp for new players (compared to Dominion, which my mom picked up by halfway through her first game).

People keep talking about how it will be so much better than Dominion once it's expansions show up, but they haven't yet. It's a potentially better game. Maybe. Someday.

People still occasionally ask for Dominion at my table (it happened this week)while my box of Trains gathers dust waiting for the next expansion to remind us of it's promise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing is the monetary investment vs reward with Dominion. To buy all the expansions that people suggest to make the game more interesting will set you back at least $100, and frankly that buys a lot of other deckbuilders that are more thematic and have more player interaction.

Just a thought. You probably can't go wrong with Dominion but there are more interesting choices out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything Ascension is even less thematic than Dominion. With Dominion at least someone can describe the theme.

For theme I'd go Thunderstone or Core Worlds. Just make sure the mechanics and themes work for your table before you buy... And make sure you research the expansions if going for Thunderstone. It can be a bear to teach anyone who isn't very excited about the theme, and the designers don't do teachers any favors by changing around the graphic design and rules for every other printing/ edition.

Ascension is a great super light iOS game that becomes tedious. In real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually been developing a bit of a dislike for deck-builders in general, but I'll still play Dominion (I confess that I've never played any of the expansions). I've also played Trains and Ascension, both of which have been mentioned here.

Perhaps I'm biased because Dominion was the first DB I played, but I find it both simple and elegant in its mechanics compared to the other two, though keeping track of card draws and actions through repeated chainings can be a tad irritating. Ascension, in my opinion, adds chrome but drops the tension between gold/land/buildings, thereby reducing the emphasis on a longer-term hand-balancing strategy in the process. Trains is more of a boardgame with a DB component, but goes the opposite direction from Ascension in its emphasis on filling your hand with junk cards and requiring you to spend most of your time dealing with them. That just pisses me off.

If you liked Ascension, I recommend trying Dominion. As the Ur-deckbuilder, it represents to me the essence of the genre. If you enjoy it you can always buy the expansions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Lebanon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started into this hobby 5-6 years ago with Dominion and have always enjoyed it. There have been many other deck builders that have come and gone for me, but Dominion always comes back as that familiar friend. I like it because of the variety, the simple, no fiddly rules, and that so many people can enjoy it. The only other game that implements deck building that comes close, in my opinion, is A Few Acres of Snow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like the variety that comes with Dominion's ever-changing selection of cards with each game. Ascension is all right (on my iPhone), but got old pretty fast, I think because many of the card effects are just so similar, in the base game anyway. (This one lets me draw two cards, but that one lets me draw THREE cards...) I do like that timing the switch to buying provinces in Dominion is very important, I never felt that same tension in Ascension. Likewise, there seem to be fewer chances at player interaction in Ascension, while Dominion has more going on with Curses, Embargoes and such.

While the cost for Dominion might be higher than for some other games, you'll find it very replayable with a combination like Dominion + Intrigue + Seaside (for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Dominion largely because of the expansions. There are a few I still need to buy. I suspect the game would get repetitive if you just used the base set of cards all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.