Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick one - Can you trigger Self-Modifying Code before first action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I caught another thread comment on this as NO, you can only do it after your first action.

But looking at the latest v1.4 FAQ, the runners 1.1 allows for paid abilities to be triggered. Such as a self modifying code?

Or maybe it was something like you couldnt take your "when turn begins" credits if applicable, and then use those to pop Self-Modifying Code. That would make sense as per runner timings 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3

So basically if you have the cash im assuming its fine to pop before any clicks. If not, and the start turn credits would have done it. Too late. You gotta take an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More importantly, you have the ability to use it at the end of the corp turn. That is a free virus counter on parasite, a credit less cost if you are using Kate, and freeing up memory as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
So basically if you have the cash im assuming its fine to pop before any clicks. If not, and the start turn credits would have done it. Too late. You gotta take an action.

That is correct.

If you're relying on start of turn credits to use SMC, you will need to either wait until after your first action, or at 2.1 of a run if you make a run as the first action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both. Any other cool uses I probably never considered let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meng
msg tools
Dlthorpe wrote:
Thanks both. Any other cool uses I probably never considered let me know

If you slip SMC into a FFG standard sleeve, you can use it as a Shuriken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
I thought I caught another thread comment on this as NO, you can only do it after your first action.

But looking at the latest v1.4 FAQ, the runners 1.1 allows for paid abilities to be triggered. Such as a self modifying code?

Or maybe it was something like you couldnt take your "when turn begins" credits if applicable, and then use those to pop Self-Modifying Code. That would make sense as per runner timings 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3

You've got it. All of your start of turn stuff happens in 1.2 (Aesop's, Hard At Work, etc.) You can fire your SMC at 1.1. You can also (and generally probably should) fire it at section 3.2 of the corporations turn for the reasons that other people said (generally to get your kate discount) You'd get the parasite token at 1.2 if you did it on your opponents turn or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.