BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 30 minute Filler Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ H
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I am looking for decent 30 minute filler game.

I already have 7 Wonders / KoT / Avalon / Love Letter / Coup / ONUW.

I found following games which meet my criteria.

No Thanks
For Sale
Bang ! Dice Game
Space Cadets : Dice Duel
Hanabi
Las Vegas
Biblios
Augustus
Splendor
Mascarade
Blood Bound

What would be the good choice among them? and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Hanabi but I would recommend it to anyone. Really simple coop game but has some really tough decisions to make. I've had it just over a month and have nearly logged 50 plays! for the price you really can't go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang! the dice game is great... dont bother getting the card game once you put your hands on this one...

Biblios is excelent... there are two very different mechanics throughout the game that may appeal diverse audience... I found it best with 3players.

Also for bigger groups... take a look at the Resistance (or Avalon:TR) or you may try the new Maskarade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked into Dungeon Roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
idk if that meets your definition for a filler, but technically Dominion´s duration is aestimated at 30min. At least once you have some experience, 30min are well doable. (at least for us)

Personally, I´d only get Hanabi if memory mechanics are your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend Splendor. That's being loved by all so far. If you like dice I would recommend Las Vegas or roll through the ages.

start with splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your list, I think that Biblios and For Sale are somewhat redundant. If you are looking to play with more than 4 or younger players, I would suggest For Sale. If you are looking for a little more depth and want to play it 2 player, Biblios is the way to go. The ability to manipulate the scoring dice adds that one layer that I felt was missing with For Sale.

I have Las Vegas and would recommend it for a large group of non gamers. Great with kids as well, especially when you are chucking a handful of dice. This is almost a party game, with players cheering and groaning on those final dice rolls.

I also own Hanabi, and it would be my game of choice from your list since it plays like nothing else in the collection. The mix of cooperation and social deduction makes it so unique. It works with two players, but at that count, I think Biblios offers the superior play.

My vote is
Hanabi
then Biblios
then Las Vegas
then For Sale

I haven't played the others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of your list, I have only played Biblios and Augustus and would recommend both. Additionally, you might want to consider SOS Titanic and The Downfall of Pompeii.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Porter

Bellingham
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A couple press your luck game suggestions

Roll for it
Incan Gold

A couple card games that have a little player conflict

Saboteur
Guillotine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh god, Bang the Dice Game is so good, it's unreal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale is fantastic if you have at least 3. There is a 2 player variant in the forums, though, that works pretty well. There is even a solo variant. One of the classic fillers IMO.

Oh, and -1 for Dungeon Roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Navarro
Colombia
Bogotá D.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played Augustus for the first time (5 players), and I love it, it's rules-easy and plays pretty quick, excellent with non-gamers in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ H
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I can't buy all of them but all above comments say "I played X,Y,Z among those games and they are all so great".

It's sad that there are so many great games but I have limited budget for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Horn
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi-Go and San Juan. Both are less than $20. Sushi-Go has a similar mechanic to 7 Wonders and plays 5, and San Juan is a card version of Puerto Rico, and plays 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where would anyone buy those for those prices?

Splendor is a safe bet for filler. I'll also second nominations for Hanabi. I also like Council of Verona which is under $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang: The Dice Game and Augustus. Both have *zero* downtime since everyone plays simultaneously. Super fun - with the right people, of course whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mingler1 wrote:
Sushi-Go and San Juan. Both are less than $20. Sushi-Go has a similar mechanic to 7 Wonders and plays 5, and San Juan is a card version of Puerto Rico, and plays 4.

Neither of these are in print right now and are both quite expensive if you can find them. Sushi Go is being reprinted and should be available in a month or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George C.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Bang: The Dice game. It has a theme most people are familiar with, has overall good components and art, and is easy to set up and put away.

Oh, and it's fun too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to introduce No Thanks! to a group and not have to play it another 5 times. And still get that done within 45 minutes.

Hey, That's My Fish! wasn't on your list, but it's an excellent game that, IIRC, plays within 30 minutes. This is another one that goes over surprisingly well. People look at me funny when they see it's about penguins, but then, after playing it, ask me where they can buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.