Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Phipps
United States
Canal Winchester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have not played this game yet but I'm really interested in playing. My game group typically has 5 people and wanted to know if there's a way to play this with 5 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great if this played 5 players, but they even shyed away from adding a 5th with the expansion.
Just wouldn't work "as is" for 5 player - even if you made a 5th personal player burrows board, the main game board is perfectly set up to accommodate the specific player counts ( dummy 3rd player at 2 players).

It is a shame, we would of played it a lot more if it could accommodate 5, it is a cracker though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bphipps wrote:
I have not played this game yet but I'm really interested in playing. My game group typically has 5 people and wanted to know if there's a way to play this with 5 players?

I think Petz would be one of the tougher games to scale to 5 players. Most of the game mechanics are pretty well fine-tuned for the max player count. Taking care of petz is hard work, and bad things happen to them quite easily; making petz-care any harder by reducing resources and increasing competition for spots would make taking care of them perilous, at best.

To make this work, I think you'd need to consider adding more spaces to the board, such as an extra pet available each round, an extra cage, extra add on, extra food, etc... I'm sure you could pull it off, but the game would probably be a little funky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To echo what others have said, you could houserule a 5P but resources would be very tight and it'd be hard to balance. Could still be fun, though. You'll also run into issues with running out of components if you don't have the expansion.

Here's my crazy spitballing idea to try and pull off a 5P:

1) Each player starts with a 7th Imp that is removed from the first spot on the waiting relatives board. Each round, one Imp cannot be sent Shopping, it must remain home to clean cages, play with Petz, or earn Gold.
2) Each player starts with one "Potion", represented by an extra component.
3) During the Shopping Phase, each spot of Hospital, Petz, Cages, and Add-ons can be used one extra time by "bribing" -- the group sent there must have 1 Gold more than normally required. The Mixed Food stand may be bribed once per round for 1 Meat 1 Veg.
4) During the Reset Phase, if Age 3 Petz, Cages, or Add-ons have fewer components than they should due to bribery the previous round, add an extra component from the appropriate stack to compensate.
5) Achieving 1st in an Exhibition is worth 10 Points, all other rewards are the same as 4P but moved down one ranking.

I think that should do it, the rules are all basically to try and compensate for decreased available resources. I'm open to suggestions on this, I haven't playtested it yet but it seems like a reasonable place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.