Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Glass
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking that it would be cool to implement a "fog of war" by replacing the stack of Noble chits that you move around the board with a group marker.

What if you had a marker on the board for a group of nobles from your faction and a corresponding marker on the stack of your nobles cards(w/ title, office, merc underneath) that compose that grouping?

Something like Group (or army) A,B,C or 1,2,3... Each faction could have up to limited number of groups (say 3 or more). The noble on top of your card stack would be the leader (whatever you want to call it).

You would want to have the cards stack marked clearly as part of the particular group (to maintain honesty) - maybe a "nobles playmat?"

The royals would still need to move around with a group on the board - as their location would/needs to be known.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like this idea. although most of the time the more observant player have a pretty good idea of the force of a stack, there are times when you aren't sure. This might cause more nobles to be involved in a particular siege as you wouldn't be able to split off nobles/troops to get down only risking the bare minimum in a siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isn't the fact you can add cards from your hand at any time enough 'fog'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This approach would work quite well. Always love fog of war.

IN this game, though, I wonder how realistic this would be. In a country where both factions had allies all over the land it seems to me it was hard for anyone to move much of a force around without someone knowing about it.

Could you do something like; every time a group of nobles moves, one card must be revealed. The card would have to be either a noble or one which represents a force of soldiers (mercenaries, titles which come with soldiers, etc), but starting with the nobles.

When a group of nobles enters a castle then one/some/all cards could be hidden again. Perhaps noble's castles allow you to hide everything, while city castles allow you to hide only one.

This could be randomized, and be based on the size of the force, the number of spaces moved, towns moved into or through, etc. Generally, the idea being that the greater the force, the farther it moves, the more populated areas it moves through, the more likely it is to be seen and identified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

IN this game, though, I wonder how realistic this would be. In a country where both factions had allies all over the land it seems to me it was hard for anyone to move much of a force around without someone knowing about it.

In the histories I've read, it seemed quite common for the opposing armies to lose track of each other, with a great deal of dithering as a result. However, they were pretty well informed about which nobles joined which camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

they were pretty well informed about which nobles joined which camp.

I tend to agree. Fog of War is a fun concept to include in a game, but seems a little misplaced in this era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.