Mansions of Madness» Forums » Variants

Subject: streamlined version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Stark
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sometimes this game is a bit of a beast to get to the table. Does anyone play a more streamlined version of the game without losing to much flavor? I usually skip spells and puzzles, anyone else who has thoughts about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Spells and puzzles are such a tiny element of the game that I can't imagine why you'd bother skipping them. If you're lucky you're "saving" maybe five minutes out of a two-hour game (not counting setup which is also super long), and you're gimping the mental investigators in the process by eliminating the things they're good at.

There are some variants to deal with balance issues, but I don't know of any real streamlining variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamejimmy wrote:
Sometimes this game is a bit of a beast to get to the table. Does anyone play a more streamlined version of the game without losing to much flavor? I usually skip spells and puzzles, anyone else who has thoughts about this?

Skip hiding places - game-wise they're only of use if a player is playing Dexter Drake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vincent
msg tools
boardgamejimmy wrote:
Does anyone play a more streamlined version of the game without losing to much flavor?
Check out this post. In addition to removing many of the fiddly bits, I've stripped out huge portions of the rules*. Surprisingly, the scenarios seemed to have the same desired flavor (yet were playable in 30 minutes).

-----------
Quickplay rules for players

PC’s can go in any order, and have 1 Action and 2 Moves:

Action options:
o Attack: roll your stat or less on a 10-sided die to inflict your weapon’s damage. Use:
 Marksmanship for Ranged weapons
 Dexterity for Sharp melee weapons
 Strength for Blunt melee weapons or
 Strength for Unarmed (2 damage)
(note: you can’t attack through doorways)
o Pick up all the items in the room
o Use an “Action” ability from an owned card, or
o Move (as below)

Move options:
o Move to an adjacent space, or
o Try to solve a lock or puzzle (this ends your turn, allowing you to work on the puzzle until your turn next comes up)

Other rules:
Evade: if you Move while a monster is in your space, roll against your Dex, modified by the monster’s Awareness (white number, top right), to Evade its Damage (backside, lower left).
Stunned: -2 to rolls and -1 move on your next turn
Trade: after everyone has acted, investigators in the same space can trade items

Removed: Skill points, Horror checks, Trauma cards, Mythos cards and Investigator attack cards.

Fire damage, Darkness modifiers, Hiding, Barriers (including Hiding/Barrier Monster attack cards) can be introduced as desired.

* this was to make the game playable for my groups. Otherwise, we simply just would never play the game, which would be a waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew_vincent wrote:

[i]Removed: Skill points, Horror checks, Trauma cards, Mythos cards and Investigator attack cards.

What is the Keeper doing the whole time? O.o
Seems like its pretty boring for him then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vincent
msg tools
Anduin wrote:
What is the Keeper doing the whole time?
Handling monsters and facilitating the game running fast/clean. The keeper is still the busiest person at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew_vincent wrote:
Anduin wrote:
What is the Keeper doing the whole time?
Handling monsters and facilitating the game running fast/clean. The keeper is still the busiest person at the table.

... just like the dealer in a poker game.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vincent
msg tools
Anduin wrote:
matthew_vincent wrote:
The keeper is still the busiest person at the table.
... just like the dealer in a poker game.whistle
Closer to a GM in an RPG, but (despite being sardonic) I think you have the general idea. For me, focusing on 'winning' as the keeper tended to slow down the game (and wasn't very challenging). Conversely, focusing on keeping the game running fast/smoothly felt more challenging as a keeper (and was more fun for everyone).

Besides: spending your threat on monsters (rather than trauma/mythos) is not very passive.

Or were you referring to the keeper no longer flipping attack cards during the player's turn? That is a bad/slow mechanic in the standard game (and is very much like being a dealer in a poker game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
should have sounded witty or something. Didn't even know the word sardonic! Again what learned laugh
I just think the most fun the game offers lies in mythos and trauma cards. And pushing monsters around the map I think is pretty boring, especially if you take out the horrorcheck and the random effects that can come from the cards. (jep, you keep the monster attack, right?)

I definitely agree with your approach as keeper=GM.
The dealer analogy came from the picture of a poker game in my head when you wrote "The keeper is still the busiest person at the table."
The dealer is shuffling cards, dealing, counting, taking cards back, organising the community cards etc. So he is pretty much keeping the game going so that the players can concentrate on their moves. Still, the players are just sitting there, and at least in TV, they are just sitting pretty motionless ^_^
To stay with my analogy: Taking out Mythos and Trauma cards is like taking out the community cards from poker, which brings us back to the original form. In such a game, I don't want to be the dealer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vincent
msg tools
Anduin wrote:
Didn't even know the word sardonic! Again what learned laugh
I might be misusing itblush: I got my definition from this chart, so I was using it to mean "Truthful Sarcasm".

Quote:
I don't want to be the dealer...
Yeah, that's fair. For me and my groups, the game became waayy better after the changes, but I wouldn't expect the changes to be suitable for everyone. They're mainly suggestions for those that do not find the game fun as-is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew_vincent wrote:
Yeah, that's fair. For me and my groups, the game became waayy better after the changes, but I wouldn't expect the changes to be suitable for everyone. They're mainly suggestions for those that do not find the game fun as-is.

I think I remember you doing the same statement in another thread some time ago, right? I agree with you. For some groups its better to adjust a game according to their needs.
Personally, I would feel weird doing so many personalized things. In such a case I would just call the game (investment) a failure and try some other game. I bet that there are other games that fit better right out of the box than any adjustment that can be made to a game that just doesn't work from the start on.
Well... maybe I'm just lazy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a streamlined version for you:
Choose a scenario. Keeper makes all scenario choises and then reads prologue aloud. Then investigators, as a group, choose their captain.
Both keeper and captain roll a die. If keeper rolled higher - he won, if not - then investigators won. Re-roll any draws. Then, read the epilogue. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.