Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traverse plays 2-4

Traverse is a game that plays a lot like Chinese Checkers as it is each player's goal to get their pieces across the board as quickly as possible. Like Chinese Checkers pieces can hop over pieces, belonging to both themselves and their opponents. There is no penalty for getting hopped over. Unlike Chinese Checkers where all the pieces are the same, Traverse has different shaped pieces which determines which way the pieces can move. A triangle can move, diagonal forward left/right, and/or backwards; A square can move forward/backwards/left/right; A diamond can move diagonally only; and circles can move in any direction.

When setting up the game, players are allowed to place their pieces (same color) however they like along an edge of the board. Each player occupies an edge. There is a reminder of how pieces can move on the board for each player to look at.

Components:
Board
4 players:
- 8 pieces per player:
--- 2 circles
--- 2 triangles
--- 2 diamonds
--- 2 square
Instructions

The beauty of the game is that it can explained in a minute or two with very little room for misunderstanding.

It is a great gateway game as just about anyone can get an immediate sense of what makes a good move. While there is some strategy to the game, it is generally more about the tactical play each turn.

The game can be played pretty quickly with some turns happening very quickly. There are some moments where players will have to pause to think about what move they'd like to make, but overall the flow of the game usually goes by pretty quickly.

I believe there is a good amount of fun to be had, as players try to block others, or set things up for themselves. There is definitely replay value with the variable setup and all the different moves that players can make.

Fun: 8/10
Replay Value: 9/10
Rules: 10/10 (short and sweet)
Component Quality: 5/10 (sufficient)
Overall: 9/10

If I had to sum up the game, I'd say it is a quick and easy abstract game that plays well up to 4 players that is very easy to teach and learn. There is enough depth to the game that playing several games in a row isn't a chore. I say it is a great gateway/filler game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.