Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » General

Subject: Which Expansion board should I use for certain player counts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been answered before, if so, can somebody add a link for me? Thanks.


Is there a place where I can see which boards are best with each player count?

And to be clear, I'm curious of a list that says if you have 2 players try these maps, if you have 3 players try these maps, if you have 4 players.... etc.

(Rather than such and such board is best with 4.)


Specifically I am looking for which maps are best with 3 players. But I think it would be cool to have discussion about it (assuming this discussion doesn't already exist.)

I would believe that no board is best with 3, but given that I have 3 players, what board should I choose?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the boards matter particularly much in player count, other than that 5-region boards will be the same thing with 5P/6P every time. So Japan, Benelux, Baden-Würtemburg, and Australia may be best with 4P or fewer from that perspective.

What you really should ask is what KIND of game you're looking for.

- Do you want the connections to be cheap (Benelux, USA, Russia) or expensive (China, Brazil, Spain/Portugal)?

- Do you want resources to be plentiful (Benelux, Central Europe) or scarce (India, China)?

- Do you want a major, seismic change to the rules (Australia uranium mines, India resource market, Baden-Würtemburg turn order change), or just a slight tweak (Italy/France starting markets)?

- Do you want fast cycling of plants and a bigger current market (Benelux) or very slow cycling and a limited current market (China, Russia)?

....

I'd suggest that with fewer players you probably want a "cheaper" map with more uniform connection costs, but that's just me. I've become a bit of a Power Grid snob, and I'd really much rather play it as 4P/5P these days than any other headcount. 2P/3P take away a lot of the subtlety of the game. I'll play 6P, and it's fun, but it's a LONG play with that many people (despite the fact that it is probably more of a race, like the 2P game, with the endgame at 14). 4P is the most challenging. 5P is my sentimental favorite, because that's how I learned it and how I play most often (plus you can do some goofy things in 5P that you can't do in 4P, at least not if you're actually trying to win).
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Benelux is usually the recommendation for 3. (though I would stay away from Central Europe since that board creates all sorts of controversy )

But since all maps scale, I do think your the type you want should be more prevalent.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Benelux is usually the recommendation for 3. (though I would stay away from Central Europe since that board creates all sorts of controversy )

But since all maps scale, I do think your the type you want should be more prevalent.


I'm suspect the controversy is less relevant with 3 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
I'd suggest that with fewer players you probably want a "cheaper" map with more uniform connection costs, but that's just me. I've become a bit of a Power Grid snob, and I'd really much rather play it as 4P/5P these days than any other headcount. 2P/3P take away a lot of the subtlety of the game. I'll play 6P, and it's fun, but it's a LONG play with that many people (despite the fact that it is probably more of a race, like the 2P game, with the endgame at 14). 4P is the most challenging. 5P is my sentimental favorite, because that's how I learned it and how I play most often (plus you can do some goofy things in 5P that you can't do in 4P, at least not if you're actually trying to win).


My sentiments exactly. I prefer PG with 5, slightly less so with 4.

That being said I've played the game almost 300 times with every player count on almost every map (ok, so not every player count on every map, but good enough ). The maps are flexible enough for any number and while some MIGHT be a bit better when you have fewer players that doesn't mean they're best with fewer.

tl;dr Pick a map, play, have fun; in that order.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
And to be clear, I'm curious of a list that says if you have 2 players try these maps, if you have 3 players try these maps, if you have 4 players.... etc.

For me, that list is sufficiently simple:

* If you have N players, try any of the maps.


Power Grid is not like Age of Steam, where some maps are designed for certain player counts and don't work so well outside that range. I've not found any map which seemed worse than other maps for any particular player count. Some are different, e.g. long narrow Italy can be cruel with high player counts as players get squeezed by opponents more easily.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.