United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even after reading Shannon Appelcline's comments/FAQ, I'm still a bit befuddled by some elements to Alexander the Great.

First - attempting to Build Temples and Found Cities.

I can see why multiple people would attempt to build in a Temple location, since there can be more than one. But I'm not so clear about cities. Whoever gets to a city location first can build a city there immediately, because as soon as his army move is complete, he builds/scores cities before the next player.

And since he removes his city if he can't pay for it (p. 7, rule 5.5.3, 3rd sentence), how could there possibly be more than one person vying to build a city in the same location? It seems to imply that in order to even place a temple or city cube in a region, you need to already have the resources to pay for it.

Second - the timing of scoring is befuddling. The rules state after the regional campaign. Wait... So does it take place after each individual player's turn, or after the complete turn, or after the regional campaign is complete?

Shannon's post asserts it's after each round of the campaign and at the end of the campaign overall. But if that's the case, then players essentially score twice for everything they build -- so why not just double the point value?

Third - Why wouldn't you just dump everything into turn order/army with just 2 resources in the city block. Bum rush/roll through the region, place your city in the space closest to the starting point, end the where the other players can't reach a region needed to found a city. You milk the army bonus and the city bonus as no one else would have a chance.

But as soon as everyone sees this, everyone does it. And you can't afford not to do it because otherwise you'll never even have a chance to go early enough in turn order to score.

My puzzler hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Whoever gets to a city location first can build a city there immediately, because as soon as his army move is complete, he builds/scores cities before the next player.

Incorrect. Read the rules again. After movement a player may ATTEMPT to build temples and found cities (section 5.4). The temples and cities actually get built during scoring, which takes place after all players have taken their turn - note that the rules on actually building things are sections 5.5.2 and 5.5.3, which are subsections of 5.5 - Scoring.

As for when scoring takes place, I haven't looked at Shannon's post, but either he misstated something or you misunderstood it. Scoring takes place at the end of each game turn (round) - there is no additional scoring at the end of a regional campaign (a campaign ends after scoring, of course, but it's just the normal round scoring). The only other scoring is at the end of the game.

There IS an error in the English rules here - 5.5 says "After a regional campaign is concluded, scoring is conducted..." - it should say "After a game turn is concluded..." (compare to section 4.0, which gives the outline of play, correctly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cope
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I know about that misprint now, that was the one thorn that I couldn't get past.... Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.