Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is always quite a bit of talk about "this is overpowered" etc when people talk about this game, but I've come to the conclusion that the tile mentioned in the title of this thread might just be the most powerful in the game.

With roughly 150 games played under my belt (mostly online), I find that if skill level seems relatively balanced, the player who gains this tile and makes use of it almost always wins. Sure, I know, anecdotal evidence and all but I will do absolutely anything to get this tile before anyone else. Doing my own personal statistics, I've found that I have won 89.4% of all of my games (based on my online games) if I have this tile at my disposal. Obviously, the board you get as well as what other players get is a factor (and dice roll luck of course) but I just find the tile to be pretty profound. This combos especially well with the yellow tile that gives you 1 point for every sold good. Moreover, to continually obtain these goods, you're likely to be at the top of the turn order track the entire time.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I always go for it too. Even if you don't manage to make good use of it, you are almost sure to get at least 9 points from it, with no extra effort (and more likely it'll give 12-15 point). 12 points is what you might expect from the 4 points/building tiles, so it is the "no or little work" that I like about it.

That said I never thought it was overpowered - "just" better than all the rest. Your personal statistic might be a little tainted - in many of the games where you got it, you probably did because of having placed more ships and so being first in turn order. And so it might be the better turn order, which contribute more to you winning so many of these games (you get the best of other tiles too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
I know there is always quite a bit of talk about "this is overpowered" etc when people talk about this game, but I've come to the conclusion that the tile mentioned in the title of this thread might just be the most powerful in the game.

With roughly 150 games played under my belt (mostly online), I find that if skill level seems relatively balanced, the player who gains this tile and makes use of it almost always wins. Sure, I know, anecdotal evidence and all but I will do absolutely anything to get this tile before anyone else. Doing my own personal statistics, I've found that I have won 89.4% of all of my games (based on my online games) if I have this tile at my disposal. Obviously, the board you get as well as what other players get is a factor (and dice roll luck of course) but I just find the tile to be pretty profound. This combos especially well with the yellow tile that gives you 1 point for every sold good. Moreover, to continually obtain these goods, you're likely to be at the top of the turn order track the entire time.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy?

If it bugs you, I've seen people at tournaments play with 2p per
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
A relevant statistic would be what percent of your total games you've won - if you're winning 85%, then 89.4% isn't nearly as significant as if you only win 50% of your overall games but 89.4% with this tile.

I, unfortunately, have nothing else meaningful to add to this discussion. whistle

Yeah, I agree that the statistic is pretty meaningless but I know I have a much better chance of winning when I have it. My current statistic on Boite a Jeux is around 46% but that doesn't factor in games where this tile never made it in to play. Player skill is really important in this game and I would say I'm above average but not perfect by any means.

I like the suggestion of making it worth 2 points but I've never played in a tournament, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
Doing my own personal statistics, I've found that I have won 89.4% of all of my games (based on my online games) if I have this tile at my disposal.

Do you always pick up that tile?

If it's the last round of the game and you haven't pursued a shipping strategy, and haven't sold many different colored goods, wouldn't you forgo that tile so that you can pick up the last pig to round out your pig farms?

So your statistic only measures the times you actually got that tile. So any game where getting that tile wasn't such a hot choice, is left out of your calculations.

That's like saying that blocking your face in a boxing match is the best plan because 89.4% of the time that you blocked your face your opponent tried to hit it. You're ignoring all the times that you didn't block your face... like when he was punching you in the gut or when you were hitting him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
louper wrote:
A relevant statistic would be what percent of your total games you've won - if you're winning 85%, then 89.4% isn't nearly as significant as if you only win 50% of your overall games but 89.4% with this tile.

I, unfortunately, have nothing else meaningful to add to this discussion. whistle

Yeah, I agree that the statistic is pretty meaningless but I know I have a much better chance of winning when I have it. My current statistic on Boite a Jeux is around 46% but that doesn't factor in games where this tile never made it in to play. Player skill is really important in this game and I would say I'm above average but not perfect by any means.

I like the suggestion of making it worth 2 points but I've never played in a tournament, haha.

fwiw the +1 animal tile i think has more point potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many of Feld's games it comes down to when it comes out and if you can take advantage of it. It's a nice tile but in no way do I think it's a gamebreaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Like many of Feld's games it comes down to when it comes out and if you can take advantage of it. It's a nice tile but in no way do I think it's a gamebreaker.

If you promise not to tell anyone, I can't stand ITYOTD because of double privileges and builder counter, but in CoB, I think it's fine. It's a personal thing, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
bop517 wrote:

If you promise not to tell anyone, I can't stand ITYOTD because of double privileges and builder counter, but in CoB, I think it's fine. It's a personal thing, for sure.

I love ItYotD because of the tension, but turn one double privilege is aggravatingly automatic. Also, players tend to always, ALWAYS underestimate the turn track. I hate when people will willfully ignore something as overt or easily manipulable as a turn order track (say) and then complain that a game was broken or otherwise not fun because they were relentlessly trying to wring efficiency out if each turn. The whole POINT of the turn order track is that it should at some point be your best move.

I know plenty of folks who would never take Starting Player in Agricola, say, because it's a "weak move" because you only, possibly, get a minor, and then they'll complain that the game is boring or broken. Dude, starting player is probably THE key to the game, ain't my fault if you're too cheap for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.