United States
DurhamGreensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The US soccer players use their arms
badge
A new meaning to the name "Gunners"
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone recommend a book that gives an overview about the major participants and political reasons behind the wars from 1600 on? I imagine a general book might have stuff before that date (which is fine)but I certainly need info on the wars post 1600.

I've read books about WWI and WWII and am familiar with their direct causes. I want to read about the wars (such as Napoleon's war) before them to better understand the reasons for the later wars.

I really need an overview and not in depth analysis. Probably more like a school history book than a specific study.

I basically want to create an alternative 1940's era history but I need to know the real history so I can make plausible connections to explain why the US never reunited during the civil war, why Russia isn't communist and Britain is a fascist power, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a comprehensive military atlas which includes a short summary of each conflict?

I could recommend Atlas of Warfare by Natkiel and Pimlott as one option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Minton
United States
DurhamGreensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pete! I'll check that one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Minton
United States
DurhamGreensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a nice overview book at Barnes and Noble:
The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Warfare from Ancient Egypt to Iraq

It lists major wars and has nice sidebars titled "Before" and "After" where they talk about the reasons that caused the conflict and events that the conflict itself caused.

Great book, 500+ pages, only $28.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
Paul Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers is probably an excellent primer. It has been a long time since I read it. It is probably worth a re-read since I filled in much background reading around it since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.